Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wrexham Takeover Bid Hits Snag

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
Surrey property developer Andrew Smith's plans to buy Wrexham Football Club from controversial owner Alex Hamilton have been plunged into jeopardy following a declaration of opposition to the deal by influential supporters organization Fans United.

Smith's attempts to gain control of the troubled North Wales club were welcomed by Wrexham's players and officials on Tuesday evening, but the powerful fans pressure group put the takeover in doubt earlier today by announcing its disapproval.

Speaking from the Fans United headquarters in a small tent outside the Racecourse Ground, a spokesman for the group said: "Although we know next to nothing about Smith or his company, we are deeply suspicious of both the man and his motives. He's bound to be a dodgy character who's up to no good. All football club owners are. And you can bet he's only in this for the money.

"We don't for one minute believe that his intentions are honourable. He must have ulterior motives of some sort. After all, who in their right mind would want to buy Wrexham otherwise?

"Our people want to see members of the Wrexham Supporters Trust take control of the club with immediate effect. They may not have enough money to pay the bills or keep the club afloat, but at least their hearts are in the right places. And that's the important thing."

Wrexham's court-appointed administrator, Ken Inkygerbil, moved to calm the storm, saying: "The fans can rest assured that I will do everything within my power to make sure that the club's new owners are right and proper people. If Smith doesn't meet the strict criteria being laid down by the supporters, then he won't be allowed to buy the club. It's as simple as that. We'll sell it to somebody with a solid football background like Peter Ridsdale instead."

Meanwhile, Fans United officials have confirmed that this Saturday's 'Clubs In Crisis' event will go ahead at the Racecourse as originally planned, despite the recent developments. Their spokesman said: "The FA needs to be told once and for all that the fans will no longer tolerate greedy businessmen who treat football clubs like businesses. The time has come for us to make a stand.

"The changes in Wrexham's circumstances don't make a scrap of difference as far as we're concerned. Our plans were drawn up weeks ago. There are literally tens of people travelling to the Racecourse on Saturday, some from as far away as England, so it's much too late to cancel now. Besides, we've got a job lot of inflatable seagulls to get shot of."

The spokesman also revealed that Fans United's ambitious plans for a nationwide boycott of Sky TV have been shelved as a result of Wrexham beating Hereford on Tuesday to reach the LDV Vans Trophy northern area final.

"We were originally planning to bring Murdoch's media empire to its knees in either March or April, but it turns out that quite a few of the Wrexham lads would like to tape the final off Sky if their side reaches the Millennium Stadium, so we've put the boycott on hold for now. But if Wrexham get beaten by Oldham in the northern area final then it will be all systems go."

Boris Ullshitter, Press Association, 27/1/2005.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Andrew Smith plans to divide the pitch up into hundreds of plots and sell them the penalty spot, goal area, goal posts to gullible investors (probably Welsh).

Asked why he he was moving from underwater fields to dry land, it turned out that he thought the Welsh were all egg chasers.
:jester:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
El Presidente said:
Oooh you are awful

Sorry EP, couldn't resist it.

Nice to see that Stephen at Wrexham took the joke in good heart, and Glyndwr Red even copied this rubbish over to the Red Passion message board under the heading 'You Gotta Laugh.'

It's a relief to find that SOME fans have a sense of humour and don't take themselves too seriously. If you know what I mean.

Faldo

Jul 7, 2003
The Laughing Bluebird said:
Sorry EP, couldn't resist it.

Nice to see that Stephen at Wrexham took the joke in good heart, and Glyndwr Red even copied this rubbish over to the Red Passion message board under the heading 'You Gotta Laugh.'

It's a relief to find that SOME fans have a sense of humour and don't take themselves too seriously. If you know what I mean.

:ohmy: Ban him!

StephenWrexhamFc

May 24, 2004
Gwersyllt near Wrexham
I stood on the Kop with a Cardiff fan today!

I came out alive as well :lolol:

Seriously he gave me a Valley Rams badge which I will treasure.

He took all the ribbing in good spirit and I even joined in with Wrexham Do The Ayatollah with him!

Who would have thought that a few years ago?

A Cardiff fan on the Kop would have caused mayhem but lately we've gone all soft :lolol:

Jul 5, 2003
Cardiff
StephenWrexhamFc said:
I stood on the Kop with a Cardiff fan today! I came out alive as well! Seriously he gave me a Valley Rams badge which I will treasure. He took all the ribbing in good spirit and I even joined in with Wrexham Do The Ayatollah with him! Who would have thought that a few years ago? A Cardiff fan on the Kop would have caused mayhem but lately we've gone all soft.

It's all part of what Kinkygerbil would describe as the 'gaying up' process. Whoever he was, he must have been the only Cardiff fan for years who's managed to get onto the Kop without being arrested! A Valleys Ram too. Must've been a big ugly bastard. They all are.

Hope you had a good day. Just been reading the Red Passion messageboard and it sounds like those who were there enjoyed it. Loved the post from the Donny fan apologising for the anti-Welsh and 'going down' chants!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here