Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wrexham - an absolute credit to football (merged)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They weren't remotely dirty: if anything we were marginally dirtier than them but it wasn't a dirty game in the slightest. So now the only gentle patronising that's going on around here is in your general direction, for being wrong. There, there.

To be fair, there were two awful tackles that could easily have resulted in red cards, but I'd like to <think> they weren't made with ill intent, more like the result of a higher level player thinking and moving fractionally quicker than a non league one, if that doesn't sound too condescending. I wouldn't say they were a dirty side as such.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Has mum given you fizzy drink before bed?

no i am not allowed fizzy drinks - but lets replace Palace with Wrexham in this thread and re-read it. I just dont get the love in for wrexham? I seem to remember several years ago threads and stories about wrexham fans indiscriminently attacking football fans and now we love them all of a sudden. Please explain.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
To be fair, there were two awful tackles that could easily have resulted in red cards, but I'd like to <think> they weren't made with ill intent, more like the result of a higher level player thinking and moving fractionally quicker than a non league one, if that doesn't sound too condescending. I wouldn't say they were a dirty side as such.

thanks edna - at least you watch the game

wrexhamfan

Sep 19, 2006

Obeng's was never, ever a red card in a million years. Tolley's was much more of a Kompany challenge. Two-footed but not that dangerous and lucky not to get anything more than a booking.

CrazyChrisWxm

Jan 11, 2012
Hey guys,,just got back from the match,,needed a vodka to settle myself.What an amazing match,gutted at the outcome,so proud of the Wrexham players.Well done at going through,if there was one team I did'nt mind going to it was Brighton.Hope you beat the Geordies,I really do,you will be in the Premiership in the next 5 years.
A great atmosphere in The Turf between both sets of fans,singalong.You rarely get that between two sets of fans,the affinity.Chatting to a few of your fans,great bunch,anyway,I've waffled on,,beat Peteboro and Palarse then do the Geordies :)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Obeng's was never, ever a red card in a million years. Tolley's was much more of a Kompany challenge. Two-footed but not that dangerous and lucky not to get anything more than a booking.

Ah, you see, that's where we're going to differ then. When I saw Obeng's challenge first time round, I thought it was a foul, but it was one that got worse when I saw it in slow motion (so, to be fair to the ref, he was probably right based on what he saw). The Albion player (can't recall who it was) had his foot planted and it was one of those that made me wince at the contact with his shin. I absolutely guarantee the so-called experts would have been playing that over and over again if it was on Match of the Day and committed by Karl Henry, or Barton, or any other PL player in fact. I did kind of wonder, especially after the Tolley challenge, whether the referee was unconsciously thinking maybe he didn't want to reduce the lower league side to ten men on the occasion. Don't get me wrong, you'd probably still have been the better side even minus one, but I'm not going to stand here and say I didn't think they were bad tackles simply because they were made by non-league players.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I just dont get the love in for wrexham? .

Having gone to the home game, there was just a corking atmosphere around the place all day. In the city and at the ground, there were loads of Wrexham fans, singing, having a beer, but also wanting to talk about football and the cup game. Decent, knowledgeable football fans who seemed genuinely excited at a day out that wasn't Kidderminster or Gateshead or Luton, who were prepared to be complimentary about us and our stadium unlike fans of teams like Southampton who (ludicrously) display their bitterness by telling everyone it's ugly and unfinished. After the match, hundreds of them came into the North and West Stand bars to share a drink, and sing loudly long into the evening, which made for a fantastic atmosphere around the place. It just felt to me what football should be like, as opposed to a bunch of tubby old men in their forties and fifties giving it large and screaming "fackin cants" at every passing fan of the opposition & doing that pretend "hold me back" thing to imply the only thing preventing the opposition from getting a shoeing is the lone nearby steward.

Yes, I suppose some of it comes from the fact there's no obvious on-field rivalry at this stage, but also because they're one of those clubs that have been through as much shit, in different ways, as we have, so there's a shared empathy to some extent.

I wish them all the luck in the world...let's face it, any team that keep Luton Town down in the conference and lessen the chances of ever having to visit Kenilworth Road again are always welcome.

Jan 18, 2012
Absolutely this. two clear yellows no more no less.

after everything that has gone on recently about tackling in the media and you come up with that?! ???

you simply cannot tackle like that in football these days. the first one could have been a leg breaker.the rules are the rules and the ref did not apply them. Wrexham got away with a fair few things tonight for simply being 'plucky underdogs'.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪
Can only echo what most have said. Wrexham were excellent over both games & can count themselves unlucky. Hopefully they will go on to win the Conference & return to the League next season.

Phoenix Arrow

Mitoma Enthusiast
Aug 18, 2009
Sverige
Having gone to the home game, there was just a corking atmosphere around the place all day. In the city and at the ground, there were loads of Wrexham fans, singing, having a beer, but also wanting to talk about football and the cup game. Decent, knowledgeable football fans who seemed genuinely excited at a day out that wasn't Kidderminster or Gateshead or Luton, who were prepared to be complimentary about us and our stadium unlike fans of teams like Southampton who (ludicrously) display their bitterness by telling everyone it's ugly and unfinished. After the match, hundreds of them came into the North and West Stand bars to share a drink, and sing loudly long into the evening, which made for a fantastic atmosphere around the place. It just felt to me what football should be like, as opposed to a bunch of tubby old men in their forties and fifties giving it large and screaming "fackin cants" at every passing fan of the opposition & doing that pretend "hold me back" thing to imply the only thing preventing the opposition from getting a shoeing is the lone nearby steward.

Yes, I suppose some of it comes from the fact there's no obvious on-field rivalry at this stage, but also because they're one of those clubs that have been through as much shit, in different ways, as we have, so there's a shared empathy to some extent.

I wish them all the luck in the world...let's face it, any team that keep Luton Town down in the conference and lessen the chances of ever having to visit Kenilworth Road again are always welcome.
Well said. Sick of people acting like football is like war. That's why I dislike Southampton fans so much, haven't got a nice word to say to fans of any club, including their own. Growing number of Albion supporters acting like that annoys me.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
f***ing tremendous over both games, you did yourselves proud.

Hope you take you rightful place back in the football league.

THIS !!! Well done Wrexham credit to you lads !!!!!!!

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Played extremely well, fast football, great passing, they looked the better team but guess that's how football works sometimes.

Great support home and away and good luck to them in the BSP. Also hope the guy strechered off on oxygen was ok- ESPN inexplicably didn't show a single replay so we had no idea what was wrong.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Absolutely this. two clear yellows no more no less.

Is that two clear yellows for Obeng? What with his dive that he is tweeting he thinks was a pen?

Aside from that, Wrexham were superb. Hopefully they will win the league this year. They'll be a much more welcome addition to the football league than last years scumbags.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Wrexham more than matched us tonight, I can see why they are at the top of their league. I hope they go up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here