Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Woy being badly treated at Anfield today

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Perhaps there is a theme of disrespect developing in English football clubs. IMO Brighton were disrespectful to the Newport County Honorary President David Hando, at the recent League Cup game at the Amex. They wouldn't let him in the (half empty) boardroom with the rest of the County directors, because he is not strictly speaking a director. He ended up, all on his own, in the Overprice Lounge, they even gave him a ticket to sit in the away fans end and told him he'd have to make his way round to the away end. We did the decent thing and found him an empty seat in the WSM, and also bought him a drink had a good chat with him.

Maybe the correct thing would have been to not let him in at all. After you cannot pay on the gate, so why get a freebie at the gate.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Maybe the correct thing would have been to not let him in at all. After you cannot pay on the gate, so why get a freebie at the gate.

He had travelled as part of the County board of directors party :shrug:

Greyrun

Feb 23, 2009
He should have gone to the pub got pissed and turned up 5mins before kick off and pushed his way in.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
He should have gone to the pub got pissed and turned up 5mins before kick off and pushed his way in.

m8swa.jpg

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There was a time when Brighton was a truely wonderful football club, universally praised for the way it conducted itself, and the way it was run, since we blossomed at the Amex things have changed.

Yes, when we were treated as a charity case, and building up huge debts. Sadly, it's a bit tougher in the real (business) world.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps there is a theme of disrespect developing in English football clubs. IMO Brighton were disrespectful to the Newport County Honorary President David Hando, at the recent League Cup game at the Amex. They wouldn't let him in the (half empty) boardroom with the rest of the County directors, because he is not strictly speaking a director. He ended up, all on his own, in the Overprice Lounge, they even gave him a ticket to sit in the away fans end and told him he'd have to make his way round to the away end. We did the decent thing and found him an empty seat in the WSM, and also bought him a drink had a good chat with him.

Why did he not just announce himself as a Director on arrival with the others? Did he have a big BADGE with 'Not a proper Director' emblazened on it?
Why did the rest of the Directors party happily see him seen off?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Why did he not just announce himself as a Director on arrival with the others? Did he have a big BADGE with 'Not a proper Director' emblazened on it?
Why did the rest of the Directors party happily see him seen off?

All very good questions, can't answer them as we didn't ask him those. I know he was pretty cheesed off and thought it quite wrong, and that it had never happened anywhere else. He told us his board had tried to get him let in but had no luck.

Apparently the passes had been sent out very last minute; he came to the ground the same as the rest of them in a group, but was refused entry at the boardroom as there wasn't a pass for him. Apparently these passes are sorted out (for cup games) by the FL, and they'd only got them for club directors. It all seems very convoluted but can only go by what he said.

Just seems a bit of a shame that our club did this. He's in his 80s, and is one of the group that reformed Newport in 1989 after they were asset stripped and liquidated by the previous owner, he was chairman of the club for 11 years. You know, we would expect DK to be recognised and afforded the same as any of our directors if he was at an away game, and I am sure he is. This seems to have been a bureaucratic issue, that no-one at the club was prepared to make a sensible call on.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It sounds like an administrative cock up on our club's part, enforced by jobsworths.

I'd hope so anyway. I'd also hope they never did it again.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Not allowed in Corporate Areas (apparently full) has to sit with the scouts (football not Dib Dib) - apparently hes livid and may leave at half time

Bit disrespectful really

Is taking the p|ss out of his speech impediment entirely respectful?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
All very good questions, can't answer them as we didn't ask him those. I know he was pretty cheesed off and thought it quite wrong, and that it had never happened anywhere else. He told us his board had tried to get him let in but had no luck.

Apparently the passes had been sent out very last minute; he came to the ground the same as the rest of them in a group, but was refused entry at the boardroom as there wasn't a pass for him. Apparently these passes are sorted out (for cup games) by the FL, and they'd only got them for club directors. It all seems very convoluted but can only go by what he said.

Just seems a bit of a shame that our club did this. He's in his 80s, and is one of the group that reformed Newport in 1989 after they were asset stripped and liquidated by the previous owner, he was chairman of the club for 11 years. You know, we would expect DK to be recognised and afforded the same as any of our directors if he was at an away game, and I am sure he is. This seems to have been a bureaucratic issue, that no-one at the club was prepared to make a sensible call on.

It sounds like an administrative cock up on our club's part, enforced by jobsworths.

Surely its an administrative cock-up on the part of THEIR club? Its not our fault if they didn't include this bloke's name on their Directors list, is it? Thats why he was short of a pass.

On a separate note, what was the problem with this guy just taking them up on the offer of the seat in the away end? Phil compares him to Dick Knight, but we know from past experience, that Knight would have been happy to do so. He'd have had a great time.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face

Apparently he got the same seat as the last England manager. And why would they let an ex-manager who's got a gob on him into the directors area? Hospitality was maybe an error, but his seat apparently not.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Surely its an administrative cock-up on the part of THEIR club? Its not our fault if they didn't include this bloke's name on their Directors list, is it? Thats why he was short of a pass.

On a separate note, what was the problem with this guy just taking them up on the offer of the seat in the away end? Phil compares him to Dick Knight, but we know from past experience, that Knight would have been happy to do so. He'd have had a great time.

I was only relaying what happened, apparently the FL take care of the passes, that's why there was no pass, so OK, that was Countys fault, Idiots. Didn't they know he's in his 80s and he would be travelling way from South Wales with the rest of the directors? Heaven forbid, maybe they made a mistake.

As for sending him round to the away end, he's in his 80s, he's an old man, he was dressed in a club blazer, shirt and tie. Frankly the person who gave him an away ticket and told him to make his way round there (after being told he could use the Overline Lounge for a drink or something to eat first) should be ashamed of themselves. How hard is it to read a situation and make an appropriate adjustment. First the indignamy of being refused entry to a half empty boardroom, then given a ticket in the away end, it really is quite a poor show. If it had happened to Dick Knight, yes he may have been happy to go round to the away end, but honestly, these days, he's getting on a bit, I doubt it.

Oh well, at least Roy Hodgson was disrespected.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I was only relaying what happened, apparently the FL take care of the passes, that's why there was no pass, so OK, that was Countys fault, Idiots. Didn't they know he's in his 80s and he would be travelling way from South Wales with the rest of the directors? Heaven forbid, maybe they made a mistake.

As for sending him round to the away end, he's in his 80s, he's an old man, he was dressed in a club blazer, shirt and tie. Frankly the person who gave him an away ticket and told him to make his way round there (after being told he could use the Overline Lounge for a drink or something to eat first) should be ashamed of themselves. How hard is it to read a situation and make an appropriate adjustment. First the indignamy of being refused entry to a half empty boardroom, then given a ticket in the away end, it really is quite a poor show. If it had happened to Dick Knight, yes he may have been happy to go round to the away end, but honestly, these days, he's getting on a bit, I doubt it.

As Simster rightly says, he clearly encountered a jobsworth, who really should have applied some common sense, or passed it up the chain. No argument there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here