Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Wouldn't you just love Nigel Owens to switch codes and referee footy games

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This seasons Albion does seem to be a little more sinned against than sinning.

I didn't have a good view of Bong seemingly being on the receiving end of a studs up lunge similar to Murphy's challenge v Bolton.

The only difference being Bong getting up and walking off, whereas Danns flopped around like a halibut on deck.
Murphy gets a red card, Cardiff player gets told to not do that again..

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Le Fondre dived to try and win a penalty. The ref booked him for it.

Falcao was booked for diving yesterday as well. This diving rugby player seems to have walked away scot free. Disgraceful. Rugby could learn a lot from football in this regard.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Falcao was booked for diving yesterday as well. This diving rugby player seems to have walked away scot free. Disgraceful. Rugby could learn a lot from football in this regard.

He was humiliated in front of his peers and thousands of spectators.

You mentioned 2 cases of a player booked for diving. Not feigning injury which was my point. How many footballers writhe around as if their leg is broken clutching their leg when the replay shows no contact there. Or holding their face when the replay shows contact with their neck?
I see it in virtually every game I watch.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Rugby referees are fortunate as they have more authority. I've seen many a player 'sin binned' for a minor indiscretion simply because the indiscipline of his team was getting on the referee's nerves. I like this approach, as it is a team game.

I think if we had the 'collective responsibility' approach in football it would refresh the game. If I could have had one rule change over the years it would be the introduction of the 'sin bin'. It would need a lot of thought and discussion, as I don't think football referees have the same mindset and rationale of their Rugby counterparts, but that would come with experience.

Imagine how many times Leeds United would have had eight players on the pitch in the 70s....

Last edited:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Le Fondre dived to try and win a penalty. The ref booked him for it.

Those incidents where players are punished for feigning injury in football are very much the exception rather than the rule (and occur almost exclusively in the penalty area) whereas in rugby, there are very few incidents of players play acting.

In every football match there are now players rolling around as though they're broken to try and get an opposition player booked or sent off, only to resume playing a minute later. Referees, managers and players ought to take a long look at the situation and agree on a way forward to stop what has become common place cheating and restore some credibility to the game.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd imagine that the humiliation of being told off on live TV in front of an audience of millions was probably worse than a yellow card.

I don't think that the yellow card in football is enough of a disincentive. It's an area that I'd like to see retrospective suspensions made on video evidence.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I'd imagine that the humiliation of being told off on live TV in front of an audience of millions was probably worse than a yellow card.

I don't think that the yellow card in football is enough of a disincentive. It's an area that I'd like to see retrospective suspensions made on video evidence.

Or 10 minute sending off's. That would hurt teams.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012

The humiliation here consisted of everyone having a collective sneer at football (while playing in a football stadium).

Not sure about retrospective bans, personally. I can see the appeal in absolutely blatant cases, but I don't think most examples are as clear cut as people think. Yellow cards can lead to red cards, or mount up and result in suspensions later.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here