Would you vote for bombing ISIS in Syria?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you vote for bombing ISIS in Syria?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
His Father must be spinning in his grave
That would be the father who joined the Home Guard at 16 to fight fascism, and later in the war joined the RAF and became a pilot to fight the Nazis? Who opposed fascism the rest of his life? He would be rightly proud of his son, even though he would probably have disagreed with him on this.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Fully expecting a London attack soon. It doesn't affect my decision whether bombing is correct or not, but I think it'll prove bombing won't make us safer. That being said, I think the general ignorant public will use a London attack as proof we should be bombing Syria.

London will be hit within a year. Maybe worse than Paris. It will be hit by British nationals.
Innocent Syrians will head for the borders to bolster the refugee crisis or stay and be blown to pieces in our 'accurate ISIS' bombings. Then we will mount a ground attack and a thousand British soldiers will be killed or maimed but apart from that everything should be ok. I mean the anti Assad rebels are decent chaps and they love us.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Wonderful. Let's drop more bombs, incentivise more extremists to attack us so we can drop more bombs and get attacked again and drop bombs and attack and bomb and attack and bomb in a never ending f**king cycle of 'they started it'.

It's like the school playground but with more death and destruction.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Just people I've spoken to, people who post on social media, comments on my local MPs page, forums like this one. I've heard a lot more against bombing that for it. Again, I'll stress I think the people who make their voice heard are more likely to be against it, so we get skewed statistics, but I still think there are more against than for. A proper referendum would have been interesting to find out what the public really think.

Fair enough it's just opinion polls have consistently shown a clear majority in favour of extending air strikes although the margin has reduced in recent days.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
This is exactly want Daesh want, as it gives credence to their belief that the Christian West is in a modern crusade against Islam. Good job, everyone. Just a few more Western countries to drag in then and they'll have the full set.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Telling this evening that Philip Hammond could not put a timescale nor a circumstance around 'victory' - I'm no military strategist, but if you can't define victory, why would we start a war?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Telling this evening that Philip Hammond could not put a timescale nor a circumstance around 'victory' - I'm no military strategist, but if you can't define victory, why would we start a war?

"It's too late we've paid a months rent in the battlefield" .... Groucho Marx in Duck Soup.

That's about the size of it .

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is exactly want Daesh want, as it gives credence to their belief that the Christian West is in a modern crusade against Islam. Good job, everyone. Just a few more Western countries to drag in then and they'll have the full set.

except this is nonsence, ignorant of the fact we are already attacking Isil in Iraq.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Fair enough it's just opinion polls have consistently shown a clear majority in favour of extending air strikes although the margin has reduced in recent days.

That's probably because an immediate reaction is usually very visceral, fuelled by fear, anger and revenge that, for a majority of people, gives way to a more considered, big picture, rational response.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
It really was an outstanding speech. By far the best of the day.

He, and Alan Johnson who also spoke superbly,should be leading the Labour Party.

Maybe they will soon.

They are both Premier league to Corbyn's non league status but unfortunately the fanbase with a lot of JCL's apparently prefer non league football :mad:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's probably because an immediate reaction is usually very visceral, fuelled by fear, anger and revenge that, for a majority of people, gives way to a more considered, big picture, rational response.

Actually polls suggest the shift was mainly in Labour voters returning to the fold, more tribal loyalty than 'a more considered, big picture, rational response'

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Good luck to our airforce and may they do a professional, careful and clinical job.

Those hapless Syrian men, women and children caught up in this will be praying far harder that their aim is true.

Good luck to them too.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Actually polls suggest the shift was mainly in Labour voters returning to the fold, more tribal loyalty than 'a more considered, big picture, rational response'

Polls, polls, polls; I know they're the lens through which you selectively view the world in order to nourish your cognitive bias. I'm referring to real world, observed, natural human behaviour in response to a perceived threat.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
@MhairiBlack: Very dark night in parliament.Will never forget the noise of some Labour and Tory cheering together at the idea of bombs falling

I'll stick my head in the sand, it's less depressing than wasting my time keeping up with news on psychopaths.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
@MhairiBlack: Very dark night in parliament.Will never forget the noise of some Labour and Tory cheering together at the idea of bombs falling

really? because i found it fitting there was barely a mumour when the result was given. certainly no cheering. maybe they did in responce to speeches earlier, but the main even was sombre.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports