Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you take the playoffs now?

Would you take the playoffs now?

• Yes, mid-table mediocrity beckons

Votes: 57 75.0%
  • No, it's a blip and we'll come strong again

Votes: 19 25.0%

• Total voters

ipad1977

Sep 28, 2015
At around Halloween the Boro forum were divided upon what your prospects were for the season. My own opinion at the time was that you guys would finish about 5th. Even when you got that horrendous injury list that remained my opinion and it does now.

A few facts to consider;

Hughton is a good manager. He has been consistently good for most of his career. His previous experience at getting promoted from this league with the skunks up the road from us was remarkable, ok they had money to spend, but the points total they got that year was excellent as much as it galls me to say that as a Boro fan. More to the point once he got them up he had them hovering round the european fringes (compare that to where they are now having spent 60 - 70 million in the last 6 months) before the fat clown in charge inexplicably pushed the ejector seat button.

You have a great first 11. That's what we had last season and finished 4th. The reason we're doing a bit better this year, apart from AK's philosophy of that brick wall we have that hasn't conceded a league goal in over 13 and a half hours in the league, is down to our strength in depth and our second 11 being not much weaker than our first. Last year our starting 11 was good enough to reach the playoffs despite injuries to key personel and yours should be the same with a bit of luck; it takes a great first 11 to knock out that amazing unbeaten run you had earlier in the season.

Your injured players are starting to return. Granted they'll take a few games to get match fit, and your two additions you've got in so far and any others you bring in a few matches to gel, but there's no reason they can't pick up where they left off.

With the exception of ourselves (we will probably drop points too, but we got most of our trickiest on paper games out of the way by Jan 2nd) the sides at the top WILL drop points against each other after this weekend as Burnley have Derby AND Hull to play on the bounce. Burnley look to be coming bang into form at the moment, moreso than the other two.

So glass half full lads. Aim for the autos as you just never know what will happen, but the playoffs are more than within your grasp. Granted of course your recent run is going to give worries as much as the long run prior to it gave confidence but in terms of this season the fat lady hasn't even been booked yet, never mind taken the stage.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
At around Halloween the Boro forum were divided upon what your prospects were for the season. My own opinion at the time was that you guys would finish about 5th. Even when you got that horrendous injury list that remained my opinion and it does now.

A few facts to consider;

Hughton is a good manager. He has been consistently good for most of his career. His previous experience at getting promoted from this league with the skunks up the road from us was remarkable, ok they had money to spend, but the points total they got that year was excellent as much as it galls me to say that as a Boro fan. More to the point once he got them up he had them hovering round the european fringes (compare that to where they are now having spent 60 - 70 million in the last 6 months) before the fat clown in charge inexplicably pushed the ejector seat button.

You have a great first 11. That's what we had last season and finished 4th. The reason we're doing a bit better this year, apart from AK's philosophy of that brick wall we have that hasn't conceded a league goal in over 13 and a half hours in the league, is down to our strength in depth and our second 11 being not much weaker than our first. Last year our starting 11 was good enough to reach the playoffs despite injuries to key personel and yours should be the same with a bit of luck; it takes a great first 11 to knock out that amazing unbeaten run you had earlier in the season.

Your injured players are starting to return. Granted they'll take a few games to get match fit, and your two additions you've got in so far and any others you bring in a few matches to gel, but there's no reason they can't pick up where they left off.

With the exception of ourselves (we will probably drop points too, but we got most of our trickiest on paper games out of the way by Jan 2nd) the sides at the top WILL drop points against each other after this weekend as Burnley have Derby AND Hull to play on the bounce. Burnley look to be coming bang into form at the moment, moreso than the other two.

So glass half full lads. Aim for the autos as you just never know what will happen, but the playoffs are more than within your grasp. Granted of course your recent run is going to give worries as much as the long run prior to it gave confidence but in terms of this season the fat lady hasn't even been booked yet, never mind taken the stage.

Thanks - sensible perspective from someone who isn't still throwing cups around the room after last night. FWIW I can't see your lot finishing anywhere other than top (in large part due to the strength in depth you talk about, and the Boro Brick Wall)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

A few facts to consider;

Have you ever thought of going in for football punditry. One of the most sensible (and well written) posts I have seen on here for a long time.

Personally, I'm not counting any chickens. We are not safe from relegation, and stranger things have happened, but we are still in the play-off places and not far from the automatics. Hopefully this is just a mid-season blip. As Jimmy Greaves used to say "Funny old game, football".

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

A few facts to consider;

Absolute RUBBISH, Hughton is not a good manager, I could have got that Newcastle team promoted, he is a dullard who knows nothing but boring football which is why he gets SACKED everywhere he ends up

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A few facts to consider;

Thank you. I'm normally a glass half full person, but felt as though I'd lost the glass after last night. I feel a bit better having read your excellent post.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here