Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you self isolate

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Anyone who says no is a cxxt. Even if you are a lonely 70 year old you can knock on the next door neighbour and request some help, no excuses for anybody.

So I self isolate. Get £90pw. Can't pay my rent. Get evicted. Then I'm homeless.

Sounds like a plan.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Made the decision over the weekend to work from home until this quiets down. Appreciate many can't WFH but I can and it seems sensible so I am.

I've knocked my gym membership on the head as well for now. Another small but sensible thing to do to lessen my risk of infection but also of passing anything on.

I'm a bit wary of going stir crazy given that my one bedroom basement flat is now my office and my gym as well as my home but what else can I do?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
So I self isolate. Get £90pw. Can't pay my rent. Get evicted. Then I'm homeless.

Sounds like a plan.

Talk to those around you, friends, relatives, government agencies, your landlord etc etc. These are exceptional times, I would be surprised if somebody could not help you.

Boston28

Feb 7, 2014

Sounds like a plan.

I read somewhere that some states in America have banned any landlords from serving eviction notices for a certain period of time to avoid this happening, maybe something our government could think about implementing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Whatever I think about the hysterical reaction to the virus, I don't want to be potentially responsible for anyone catching it. I'm working from home today and potentially will all week. Frankly, I don't think it's going to be good for me mentally, but it'll give me a chance to do some housework during the hourly 10 minutes away from the desk. I can get plenty of darts practice while I'm here too!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I read somewhere that some states in America have banned any landlords from serving eviction notices for a certain period of time to avoid this happening, maybe something our government could think about implementing.
I believe evictions are to be put on hold in the UK now.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
A day working from home, a lunchtime movie with an all-star cast.

Contagion_Poster.jpg

Contagion follows the rapid progress of a lethal airborne virus that kills within days. As the fast-moving epidemic grows, the worldwide medical community races to find a cure and control the panic that spreads faster than the virus itself. At the same time, ordinary people struggle to survive in a society coming apart.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I will self isolate without a doubt.
I consider myself to be in a very fortunate position though, we have a 6 month full pay sick scheme.
I appreciate that not everyone else is in this position though. It will be hard, especially if you have dependants etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've split all staff in the building into two teams, half are 'in' for the next two weeks (if they want) and the other half are banned from going in to the office, the the team swap. I WFH a lot anyway so not at all bothered about it. Really feel for those that can't work (and get paid) or work for companies that aren't being flexible. Bottom line for me though, is it would be utterly wrong to risk infecting someone more vulnerable..........

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We've split all staff in the building into two teams, half are 'in' for the next two weeks (if they want) and the other half are banned from going in to the office, the the team swap. I WFH a lot anyway so not at all bothered about it. Really feel for those that can't work (and get paid) or work for companies that aren't being flexible. Bottom line for me though, is it would be utterly wrong to risk infecting someone more vulnerable..........

We're doing the same thing - but it's a one week rotation. It's the same policy worldwide, half people are enforced working from home and then the following week CAN work from the office, but can also choose to stay home. When it's a WFH week, there is no option to be in the office.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We're doing the same thing - but it's a one week rotation. It's the same policy worldwide, half people are enforced working from home and then the following week CAN work from the office, but can also choose to stay home. When it's a WFH week, there is no option to be in the office.

Yep....I can see me not going in to the office at all at this rate - unless I need to, I won't and on the basis there won't be a single meeting I attend where everyone is in the office, it's better not to go in. Nice day to get outside for a run though :smile:

Stumpy Tim

Self isolation when not ill doesn't make sense to me unless you are in a high vulnerability group (with a view to protecting youself), and if so it is unlikely you are full time employed. Such people should be helped by government immediately, though.

There are thousands of people who are working full-time that are in the high vulnerability group. I was meant to meet a friend who had leukemia a few years ago, and is still immuno-supressed. The 59 year old guy who died overnight had had a heart attack before - that was enough to put him in a high vulnerability group

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
Drastic times call for drastic measures, look very closely at your expenses do you need those expensive subscriptions, everyone needs to go back to basics, it’s short term pain for long term gain.
Do the right thing by being a responsible citizen you will feel much better by helping those around you rather than taking a selfish attitude sod everyone else.
Panic spreads quicker than viruses.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
9 of my staff are on minimum wage, the work that we do (motor factor) means nobody can work from home and nobody can afford to be off sick but as their leader I will probably have to make some uncomfortable decisions in the coming days/weeks without a doubt.

The instructions are clear enough, I don’t see that I or any of my team really have a choice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are thousands of people who are working full-time that are in the high vulnerability group. I was meant to meet a friend who had leukemia a few years ago, and is still immuno-supressed. The 59 year old guy who died overnight had had a heart attack before - that was enough to put him in a high vulnerability group

Fair point. My point about a need for provisions to be put in place for such people remains, and is perhaps less likely to happen because of the numbers.....the financial implications of all this could be eye-watering if individuals aren't to be thrown to the wolves :down:

It's not clear if Asthma puts me in high risk catagory . I had a severe bronchitis attack 2 years ago and thought I might need to go to hospital then. Seeing that poor old lady in the news last night and she wasn't classified as seriously ill scared me as that will be me X10. Suspect I may need one of the ventilators ��

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here