Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would you sack Richard Scudermore ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was more of a reference towards people being accused of a crime and relative sentences handed out. I have been at the wine though, so I appeal for leniency.

Clemency will be shown for your previous good character.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Its getting to the point when its better to say no comment than risk your job which will ensure that our sports news is over taken by female presenters,lets have another program for womens sport for those who are interested

Well said, l am very interested in women's mud wrestling.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
Yes, without delay. Nothing to do with outrage, faux or otherwise; but on a strictly commercial basis. He's the CEO of a prestigious organisation and he's highly visible. He's brought the organisation he leads into the limelight in an extremely negative way. If he was the CEO of a large public company, he'd be gone within a week, and I predict he will be too, though it may take two weeks, given it's the PL.

It was his temporary PA who saw the email. He has been remarkably stupid to write such inflammatory things using a medium that can be read by an employee. If he had to write such things (...and it's only "banter", right?), why not use a strictly personal email account.

So, for the damage it will do the PL if he doesn't leave and for utter stupidity, he should and will (imo) go.

He did use a strictly personal email account.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
If all of our private thoughts, or private conversations and emails became public, I'm pretty sure that, to a man, we'd all generate something that would cause outrage. However much he is a man in a powerful position, we've all said and done stuff that could be considered crass, or embarrassing.

But this is also a man who has made millionaires out of pretty much any player to grace the Premier League in the past 10 years - where are they now, supporting him? Seems to me that he's been hung out to dry

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
I have an entirely personal email account and within it I make jokes that all people with disabilities should be drowned at birth.

Does this make me a good bloke who should run a high-profile organisation, or are you lot who are supporting Scudamore displaying the very sexism that Scudamore should be fired for?

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
I have an entirely personal email account and within it I make jokes that all people with disabilities should be drowned at birth.

Does this make me a good bloke who should run a high-profile organisation, or are you lot who are supporting Scudamore displaying the very sexism that Scudamore should be fired for?

Lighting my torch and sharpening my pitchfork. I'm coming for you young man....

rudolf hucker

Jul 26, 2009
Hove
The world has always been full of people waiting to be offended. The problem is we are now expected to live in their narrow minded world. Perhaps he is guilty of not understanding this fully. But don't sack him for comments he makes in a personal email. Get a life.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

It is not currently known for certain whether it was a personal email account or a work one. Most reports I've seen imply strongly that it was a work one - eg, this from the torygraph - "It is alleged Scudamore sent his from a premierleague.com account, the same one he used on Saturday to alert chairmen and chief executives of his 20 clubs about the emails leaked to a Sunday newspaper."

What is known is that a temporary PA got to see the email. On the balance of probabilities, it is much more likely that she would have access to (or automatically received a copy of) a work email than one sent from a personal email account.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
It is not currently known for certain whether it was a personal email account or a work one. Most reports I've seen imply strongly that it was a work one - eg, this from the torygraph - "It is alleged Scudamore sent his from a premierleague.com account, the same one he used on Saturday to alert chairmen and chief executives of his 20 clubs about the emails leaked to a Sunday newspaper."

What is known is that a temporary PA got to see the email. On the balance of probabilities, it is much more likely that she would have access to (or automatically received a copy of) a work email than one sent from a personal email account.

Interesting. He has said that it was from his private account. I would say that establishing whether this is strictly true or whether the telegraph version is closer to the mark is quite important. If it was from an account that he uses regularly for work, he has very little defence.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
If I was running anti discrimination campaigns and truly wanted to bring to an end sexism in sport as the PL claim then, would I want in charge a) someone who believes in and is dedicated to these ideals or b)Peter Scudamore?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Well, one thing we know for an absolute fact is that he didn't use a 'strictly personal' email account.

I've never spoken about my colleagues in that language and I'm fairly certain I would be sacked if I did, private, public, in pub, on facebook, wherever. It shows you how he sees he's female colleagues, and it's not as his equal......

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It appears to me that to reach the upper echelons of the football world it is necessary to be a self righteous pompous phart. Blatter, Platini and Scudamore........ the defence rests it case M'lady. ???

I'd sack them all and give their jobs to Oscar, he wouldn't get much done in a hurry, but he'd not upset anyone on the way. :smile:

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Interesting. He has said that it was from his private account. I would say that establishing whether this is strictly true or whether the telegraph version is closer to the mark is quite important. If it was from an account that he uses regularly for work, he has very little defence.

This from Scudamore's apology, reported in the Mirror, "“They were received and sent from my private and confidential email....". Note, he does not say "P&C email account" (my emphasis).

The PA is on the record (also in the Mirror), that she received them "....automatically....so that I could arrange his diary....".

It is surely considerably more likely that she is telling the truth and that Scudamore is being somewhat economical with the truth (not lying, because he hasn't said that they came from his personal email account, but has left that implication out there) than the alternative, which is that she hacked into his personal email account?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

The torygraph are now reporting "The private emails, sent from Mr Scudamore’s Premier League account..."

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
He'll be gone after the FA Cup.

This story broke last Sunday. The general rule of thumb with these sorts of things if that if the story is still running seven days after it broke there's little chance of surviving it. If anything this story is gathering momentum rather than fading away.

If nothing else, Barclays won't wish to be associated with this.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
The torygraph are now reporting "The private emails, sent from Mr Scudamore’s Premier League account..."

I am not sure why it is relevant which e mail account was used. The issue surely is that they expose him as an old fashioned sexist "lad" which is not appropriate for the head of the premier league. It's a part success if these people keep their opinions private but what we really need is people that don't have them in the first place and would not dream of sending them even privately. We should expect more

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here