Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you rather be Reading or Brighton...?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Everything said on this and other threads about reading and Wigan assumes we get the 3pts against forest.
I'm not confident we can win that.
For me I'm looking at the possible permutations for us if we only manage a draw, that's the result that seems more likely, but that's just me

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Reading no doubt about it, the ball is in their court. Regardless of what we do at Forest if Reading take care of their own business, then it's over for us this season..For the record I think Reading will win now, I thought they would slip up yesterday. To many draws, to many dropped points at home and not enough goals scored, we only got ourselves to blame. But here's hoping.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Reading no doubt about it, the ball is in their court. Regardless of what we do at Forest if Reading take care of their own business, then it's over for us this season.

Not if Wigan continue to stuff things up. I really would not want to be them having to go to Birmingham on Tuesday night, regardless of Birmingham's ongoing woefulness.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Not if Wigan continue to stuff things up. I really would not want to be them having to go to Birmingham on Tuesday night, regardless of Birmingham's ongoing woefulness.

Two home wins at home all season does not inspire confidence Birmingham. Whilst I totally agree this is a strange league and anything can happen. Where as Blackpool look like they are suddenly fighting, Birmingham look the exact opposite, something is seriously wrong there.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Reading no doubt about it, the ball is in their court. Regardless of what we do at Forest if Reading take care of their own business, then it's over for us this season..For the record I think Reading will win now, I thought they would slip up yesterday. To many draws, to many dropped points at home and not enough goals scored, we only got ourselves to blame. But here's hoping.

Are you talking about Reading? We have a better home record than them - and even if they win on Sat we'll still be better.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Are you talking about Reading? We have a better home record than them - and even if they win on Sat we'll still be better.

I'm talking about us, Reading, Wigan, Forest and whoever else does not concern me. Like I say, to many dropped points at home and not enough goals scored are the two main reasons we are not in the top six atm. Other teams may have the same stats or worse but I couldn't care less about them. If Garcia had played a more attack minded formation, starting 10 games ago instead of 5 or 6, we wouldn't even be having this debate. The three man midfield of Ince-Andrews and JFC has cost us dear and he stuck with it for to long while March, Lualua, Stephens sat on the bench.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Two home wins at home all season does not inspire confidence Birmingham. Whilst I totally agree this is a strange league and anything can happen. Where as Blackpool look like they are suddenly fighting, Birmingham look the exact opposite, something is seriously wrong there.

Judging from the demeanour of Lee Clark yesterday, Brum have no chance. Talk about downbeat...he looked like a man waiting for the hangman's noose. How the hell are the players going to get motivated when the manager is so morose. If an out of sorts Leeds can win easily there, then I think it is extremely likely that Wigan will get all three points.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I know we have won there in recent years, as I remember going up for the game. Not sure of the year, maybe the mid 2000s?

I know it was a midweek game, as I was walking out of the ground afterwards and some angry local drove his car into me because I didn't hear him coming and didn't walk out of the road quickly enough for his liking (there were hundreds of Forest fans around in the road at the same time, but he was obviously upset by the sight of my blue and white scarf).

For an extra nice touch, he shouted some sort of filthy abuse at me out of the window once he'd knocked me out of the way with his front bumper.

By sheer bad luck, I was carrying a bottle of Coke at the time, and I was so shocked by the incident, I accidentally spilled the entire contents through his open window. over him and down his car. Which was unfortunate :angel: :banana:

Was that the night we got battered by them and robbed them 1-0 ?
Remember walking back to the car afterwards being very wary of any grumpy Forest fans that may fancy a swing ....
Happy days.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Everything said on this and other threads about reading and Wigan assumes we get the 3pts against forest.
I'm not confident we can win that.
For me I'm looking at the possible permutations for us if we only manage a draw, that's the result that seems more likely, but that's just me

If we only draw at Forest [our GD will be the same] - so Reading must lose and Wigan must lose both of their last two.

If we win, a Reading draw and nothing better than 2 draws for Wigan will see us finish 5th

Never has the saying "we're only focusing on our next game" ever been so true [except maybe for the FA cup final in '83]

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Reading and Wigan.

I only hope we can somehow muster a win and they stuff it up like we did against Blackpool.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The big factor is Reading are at home.

I think that means Reading will be giving everything. I doubt Burnley will be. If Burnley were at home then maybe we would have the edge.

I actually think if Birmingham can get their arses into gear and beat Wigan then we have every chance of catching them.

That's Reading with a better away record than home record, having won just eight of their 22 games.
That's Burnley who have lost a grand total of three games on their travels.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Judging from the demeanour of Lee Clark yesterday, Brum have no chance. Talk about downbeat...he looked like a man waiting for the hangman's noose. How the hell are the players going to get motivated when the manager is so morose. If an out of sorts Leeds can win easily there, then I think it is extremely likely that Wigan will get all three points.

He looks like that after every game :lolol:

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Ings is due a goal - has not scored in 5 games since coming back from injury but has been very unlucky hitting the woodwork 3 times.

It looks to me he is desperate to score in what could POSSIBLY be his last match for Burnley.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Ings is due a goal - has not scored in 5 games since coming back from injury but has been very unlucky hitting the woodwork 3 times.

It looks to me as he is desperate to score in what could POSSIBLY be his last match for Burnley.
That's reassuring. I guess Ashley will want to do the same for similar reasons.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
That's reassuring. I guess Ashley will want to do the same for similar reasons.

No. I think - with Vokes unavailable until around Christmas at the earliest - Barnes has a good chance of starting when Burnley kick off their Premier campaign.

Ings enters the final year of his contract this summer so his future is uncertain. He was almost nailed-on to be sold if we had not achieved our surprise but deserved promotion but now we have no need to sell.

But Liverpool are rumoured to be sniffing around and I don't think any club the size of Burnley should deny a young player of a glamour move to a big club.

We'll have to wait and see but I'd love to do what Swansea have done since they got promoted - sign a Michu or a Wilfried Bony.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Reading and Wigan.

I only hope we can somehow muster a win and they stuff it up like we did against Blackpool.

All the threads that we messed up against Blackpool are driving me barmy. They were not half bad and I thought a point was fair...they then went on to beat Wigan away by 2 clear goals.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
All the threads that we messed up against Blackpool are driving me barmy. They were not half bad and I thought a point was fair...they then went on to beat Wigan away by 2 clear goals.

Rubbish, they were hopeless. The Wigan result is irrelevant.

They had one attack got one goal. A point may have been fair, but that was more a result of our abject performance. We didn't pass well, over-hit every cross, didn't deliver one decent set piece and did not go for the jugular which clearly we should have.

Completely disagree...... :smile:

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
Rubbish, they were hopeless. The Wigan result is irrelevant.

They had one attack got one goal. A point may have been fair, but that was more a result of our abject performance. We didn't pass well, over-hit every cross, didn't deliver one decent set piece and did not go for the jugular which clearly we should have.

Completely disagree...... :smile:
Oh dear...a myopic downer...always looking at the dirt, never the stars. Abject, what tosh. It wasn't brilliant but with all the play-off pressure, it weren't bad either. Get real Mr Teddy, championship football when it really matter ain't easy

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Oh dear...a myopic downer...always looking at the dirt, never the stars. Abject, what tosh. It wasn't brilliant but with all the play-off pressure, it weren't bad either. Get real Mr Teddy, championship football when it really matter ain't easy

Oh dear, another head in the sand merchant. If you seriously think that 'wasn't bad' you are deluded or have very low expectations.

It ranked with the worst home performance for me. I understand Watford away was worse, but didn't attend so can't comment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here