Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Would you play a video game for 500 hours?

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I have a friend who has logged over 8,300 hours (nearly an entire year of his life) playing just one game. I’d be lucky to get even a couple of hours free time to play anything these days.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Having read this thread, look what I just found in the shelving next to my desk. Should I?

champ.PNG

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I'm reminded of a female friend who genuinely couldn't 'get' why her then-boyfriend and I would want to play PGA Tour on PS2.

She was into (actually) playing golf, but saw videogames as a waste of time. Tsk!

Of course, we explained why we loved them, and she kinda got it in the end.

Anyway, two decades on, only one of us is a multi-millionaire with a gigantic property portfolio around the world. :laugh:

ConfusedGloryHunter

He/him/his/that muppet
Jul 6, 2011
I have done so. I could have achieved so much more in life if I had never seen Sid Meier's Civilisation, Settlers 3 and Premier Manager 98. On the other hand I'm pretty sure I would have found something else to waste my life on, like watching 22 people chase an inflated pigs bladder around...

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Each to their own.

For me, gaming sits alongside other activities that have been given zero percent of my time.
Gambling, drugs and Coronation Street being other examples.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
And in the Youth team is Lewis Dunk.

youth.png

That's work screwed today

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
thats less 2 hours a day for a year. in online gaming worlds thats not even trying.

Thats an excellent way of measuring it. And I don't think that seems particulalry excessive. How many people would watch tv every day for longer than that and not bat an eyelid?

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
I've just gone cold turkey on FIFA Ultimate Team, as I realised it was taking over my life - constant grinding for money with the need to refresh my sales queue every hour, trying to sneak in games during the workday to collect weekly rewards, counting down to 6pm for new SBCs.

It was making me anxious, taking my attention away from my wife and children and not bringing me any happiness in return. Breaking point was me throwing a controller across the room after an 'unfair' goal against me. I realised then that it/I was out of control and haven't played since.

That said, I've just started playing Fortnite and it's ACE! (but as far as I can see doesn't have the same grindy offline mechanics as FIFA, so I can easily escape it) :thumbsup:

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Aged 59 and half - an hour or so a day - love FPS so finishing off the FEAR series then onto Metro 2033, Singularity...maybe back and play Half Life 2 again

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Good man :)

I wish it was my thing, would love an escape like that. It would make a quiet night shift a lot more interesting.

Been thinking on this today and I think you might enjoy games that are loosely described as 'walking sims'. I'll stress off the bat they're not games that simulate walking because that would be terrible. Rather they're games where the story unfolds based around your exploration of an area.

One I really, really enjoyed was Everybody's Gone to the Rapture which is set in an English village where all the inhabitants have disappeared. Made by a local company as well, The Chinese Room in Brighton.

If you're after something that isn't too "gamey" to while away the hours on a night shift it'd do the trick I think.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Absolutely... put well over 500hrs into Skyrim in the past 10yrs (I'd estimate at close to 2000) - although with over 400 mods it looks nothing like the vanilla game any more.

I got an xbox360 during lockdown with a load of games, that being one of them. Haven't started on it yet. However, I played so much Fallout New Vegas last year that I know my way around it better than the 1 mile radius around where I've lived for the last 20 years. :facepalm:

Doonhamer7

Jun 17, 2016
So many - Skyrim, Witcher 3 (twice), Championship Manager 95/96 - must have done 75 seasons

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here