Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Would you pay to jump the NHS queue?

SyringeMonkey

Feb 26, 2017
Whilst not denying that this happens, it's not supposed to. You have every right to jump between NHS and private healthcare, but if referred from the independent sector to the NHS, you should be joining the queue with everyone else.

You have my sympathy. You are supposed to receive treatment before 18 weeks of referral. Sadly, ENT services are in a mess nationally, and particularly in Sussex, where the number of consultant vacancies is significant. They are trying to 'network' the services in different ways across the region, but haven't got very far yet.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
My GP has referred me to the Royal Sussex ENT department for something that wakes me up most nights at least once but isn't life threatening.

On not receiving an appointment after a couple of months I rang up the appointment line to be told there is a 40 week wait to get an appointment.

I don't have private medical insurance, and I couldn't afford to go completely private but I can afford to see a consultant at the Montifiore or Nuffield (approx £200) who would then refer me to their NHS clinic (something I did in the past for something more urgent).

Just wondered what people views were on this - would you view it as money well spent or using money to go ahead of someone who couldn't afford it who might need it more?

I did think about doing a poll, but couldn't then decide on what all the options should be ;)

I think I would do it, BUT I greatly appreciate your dilemma.

But a 40 week wait just for an appointment is appalling

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The NHS *should* provide immediate care for emergency procedures, and it seemingly does so brilliantly in the vast majority of cases, including these two - thank goodness.

Private healthcare is pretty much solely for jumping waiting lists for non-emergency procedures and accessing treatments not provided by the NHS (albeit the private providers tend to have fairly lengthy exclusion lists of their own).

Absolutely and the sympathy and caring was beyond the call of duty imo. When you are talking about weight gains and losses in paper clips for reference the stress is massive. Just a look at the nurses faces in the morning told you if it had been a good night or a bad night, they didn’t have to say anything. So much compassion and when they say nursing is a calling, they are so right.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Absolutely and the sympathy and caring was beyond the call of duty imo. When you are talking about weight gains and losses in paper clips for reference the stress is massive. Just a look at the nurses faces in the morning told you if it had been a good night or a bad night, they didn’t have to say anything. So much compassion and when they say nursing is a calling, they are so right.

My partner is a nurse. Honestly, the people that do that job are ridiculous in the most positive way. And somehow she spends most of her days smiling.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This! Paid similar amount for procedure at same hospital. Really begrudged paying it but was in pain and not prepared to wait 3 months.

I need a hernia op but am in no discomfort. GP surgery (nurnse practitioner) referred me but the hospital refused to do the work at all. Phoned the GP and was told the rules have changed, the referral shouldn't have happened, and I needed to have ticked several boxes. When I asked her what would happen if I lied about the pain the GP said 'that will work'....waiting now for a new referral.....

And basically we are now in a situation where the weak and less well-informed will be shafted while the more cunning (like me) or wealthy (not me) can wangle their way through the system. There is of course an agenda here - to undermine the NHS while appearing to support it.

'Free at the point of use' is bollocks if it is free behind a long queue of paying customers, who are still not paying the going rate.

One thing that should stop is use of NHS facilities and staff to do private practice. That is tax payers subsidising a racket.

This was how council houses were removed from the piece - sell them off at a loss till they are gone; anyone who could afford to buy theirs was left looking like a mug if they didn't. Mrs T's parents live in a council house they could have bought for peanuts 30 years ago but didn't (they didn't even have peanuts back then). They still could buy it - if they had £300K to spare. But...with another £50K spent on some refurbishment, it would probably sell for £500K due to location. The fact I have even thought about this tells its own story.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
In the last eighteen months I've cost the NHS around £50,000. Six weeks of radiotherapy followed months later by a weeks stay in The Royal Marsden having Cybre Knife treatment. Add that to the original biopsy in East Surrey hospital then another week in Charing Cross hospital having my eye removed. Then having a 22mm tumour removed from my brain in Brighton.No way would I have been able to pay for that lot other than selling my house! Thank God for the NHS. Even if I had the money I don't think I would of had the treatment done any quicker.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Just be grateful you’re in a position to pick and choose, health and financially wise. People have been doing so forever. Whether private doctors before NHS or Bupa etc since 1946. It’s just the way it is. Like paying for 1st class you’re subbing less able to afford. So until capitalism ends, get on with and good luck.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I would pay to see a consultant and then take it from there. You'll have peace of mind if all's good but reastically you'll have to play the long game if the trouble doesn't go away.

The old saying of "You can't take it with you" has never been as poignant as it is now.

Good luck to you mate. :thumbsup:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We had this thing on here last week with the haves and have nots. Bottom line is about prioritising what you do with whatever money and resource you have. Health and welfare is probably high on most people’s agenda (although some seem to spend most of their money on making it worse).

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Money spent on your health is always money well spent. Most people wouldn’t think twice about jumping a queue going private. You have to look after yourself and your family first in this world. Might not sound very liberal but that’s the type of world we live in.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Given the option, if it's not life threatening but causing a change in your well being, I would queue jump in a heart beat. Life threatening and the NHS tend to be spot on

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
In the last eighteen months I've cost the NHS around £50,000. Six weeks of radiotherapy followed months later by a weeks stay in The Royal Marsden having Cybre Knife treatment. Add that to the original biopsy in East Surrey hospital then another week in Charing Cross hospital having my eye removed. Then having a 22mm tumour removed from my brain in Brighton.No way would I have been able to pay for that lot other than selling my house! Thank God for the NHS. Even if I had the money I don't think I would of had the treatment done any quicker.

Blimey! That is some medical experience. I feel rather embarrassed now, as I had a slightly sore toe the other week and moaned about it.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I got an appointment on Monday from my NHS doctor. Brilliant service.

I'd suffered severe dehydration from being very sick from dodgy food. The doctor gave me salts and told me to drink 4 litres (!) of water. Drinking that amount made me bloated even half way through. Still I couldn't pee until well into the evening.

I felt really, really stupid for wasting time but I turned up for my appointment and have put the two stone back on that I lost.

We have an NHS to be proud of and the staff are simply amazing.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Glad to hear of the excellent service from the NHS from a few in this thread - I do believe its a wonderful thing to have in this country! It is struggling a bit to cope though hence the 40 week wait.

Its been interesting reading through all the responses especially as I had thought that in liberal Brighton & Hove with strong Labour/Green support there would be more people saying just wait your turn, but I guess its better to be healthy as quickly as possible as that can have an effect on some many other areas of your life/other peoples lives too.

My mum has had a knee and a hip replaced through the NHS which went very well but this year her other hip disintegrated badly and she went private as she was in too much pain to wait so I can definitely see the benefit in going down that route especially as she is now doing so well.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
I'm in a similar situation albeit via Royal Surrey. I do wonder if the wait is that big there too. I basically can't breath through one half of my nose due to a footballing injury and I've become a mouth breather (and snorer) as a result. It's not hurting anyone (other than my partner) but my sleep patterns are definitely much worse as a result and I'm now struggling to do cardio types of exercise.

What's the turn around from Nuffield to the clinic usually? If it's relatively quick I may give them a call.

My experience was from awhile ago so I can't be certain it would be the same these days, but it was only a few weeks rather than months when I had to do it a few years ago for a bad allergic reaction. However even if it is awhile until the clinic appointment the initial advantage is two fold - a) you're seen quickly and can get a first indication of options and/or next steps and b) you're guaranteed to see the consultant which isn't guaranteed if you go to an NHS clinic so you're getting the best advice as soon as possible.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
this assumes there is a queue for the follow on treatment or clinic. often there is not, the queues are in the consultation phase.

Why’s that, because they’ve all died waiting in the 40 week queue?

I understand that not all will come to the treatment stage, but the OP would still be buying his way to the front of an otherwise “free” NHS queue...

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Why’s that, because they’ve all died waiting in the 40 week queue?

I understand that not all will come to the treatment stage, but the OP would still be buying his way to the front of an otherwise “free” NHS queue...

You also hear about examples of say 20% of people not turning up for GP and other medical appointments , so paying to jump in ahead of the queue possibly only takes the place of no-shows

ForestRowSeagull

Jan 6, 2011
Now Brixton
My experience with Sussex ENT (have had 4 procedures following a rather unpleasant cricket ball in face injury) is that you'll probably get the same consultant at them all - mine worked at McIndoe, NHS, Nuffield and a few others so the quality of treatment is the same but obviously wait times are massively reduced. If you have any questions i'd be happy to talk via PM.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I get BUPA through work and the Montefoire were brilliant when I had a knee problem recently. NHS is great for a lot of things but private healthcare is useful in many circumstances if you have it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here