Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you pay EIGHTY NINE MILLION QUID for this ?

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I'd buy the middle one, I haven't got enough space for the other two so I'd probably chuck them.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't think there is any single thing I would pay 89 million quid for.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Paintings are also something that can be enjoyed for hundreds of years, a window into past generations. 500 years of enjoyment from Michaelangelo and Da Vinci, 200 years of John Constable and Joseph Turner, 120 years of Van Gogh, Henri Matisse...The value of art is something far greater than money. Francis Bacon's work will be poured over in 200, 300, 400 years time. It's cultural value is in essence priceless. It's actual cost only relative.

I can't see how you can throw your arms in the air at a painting going for silly money, when football players regularly get transferred for £40m+ and a twice annual basis.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I don't think I would buy this one but there are plenty I would for that money, mostly by Rothko.

Art is a very personal thing. I don't get Rothko, kids do better art.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Never mind that, you can grab yourself a bargain with this Andy Warhol effort, a mere £65.5m.

_71104992_a0ac70ac-3eaf-485a-9b4a-d9f87d69b120.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I hate it.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Indeed. I've just spent a few minutes looking at it, and it does absolutely nothing for me.

That's because art is something to be appreciated on a wall in front of the actual piece, not from a 15" screen or whatever. Having a sense of the scale, the brush strokes, the paint texture are all completely part of enjoying a painting.

It's all very well people saying they don't like a Mark Rothko, but until you stand in front of one of his huge paintings, you can't even get close to really appreciating what his work is about or the sense of scale.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
That's because art is something to be appreciated on a wall in front of the actual piece, not from a 15" screen or whatever. Having a sense of the scale, the brush strokes, the paint texture are all completely part of enjoying a painting.

It's all very well people saying they don't like a Mark Rothko, but until you stand in front of one of his huge paintings, you can't even get close to really appreciating what his work is about or the sense of scale.

Pretentious artsy rubbish. The picture just doesn't interest me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here