Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Would you move back to Brighton?

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I haven't been back since last year but I normally go back every 6 months or so. Like you, every time I go back it feels a little sweeter but that novelty might wear off soon enough.

Tokyo - good choice btw.

You've actually got my dream situation. I'd love to be able to split my time between Tokyo and Brighton but I can't because I don't have a job that makes it possible and it's so bloody far between them.

If you own your flat in Valencia then I'd say go for the move back to Brighton. Rent for a year and see if the shine wears off. If it doesn't then get a place in Brighton too and split your time between the two. That would be awesome!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'd be far more tempted by Eastbourne in truth. Cheaper housing and every time I go there it seems a great place to live, and just a short hop to Brighton.

Eastbourne....he’s 39, not 79.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
As a lot of people have said, near Brighton would be a better bet in my opinion. Would tick almost all of your Pros, and take away some of the Cons.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
NSC is a wonderful Smörgåsbord of opinions so when seeking advice from complete strangers it's a good place to start.

I've been living abroad for a number of years now but recently I've been feeling strong desires to move home to the fine city of Brighton and Hove. My girlfriend is pretty keen as she wants to improve her English and I own my flat here in Valencia with a mortgage of about a hundred quid a month so I always have that safety net. I work from home for a British company so no problems there.

Anyone done something similar and care to share their experiences? I've made a loose list of pros and cons so please feel free to jump in.

Pros
- Can actually watch the Albion live (one day, hopefully)
- Can play more golf
- Pubs
- Friends and family to spend more time with
- Pubs
- Decent international food
- More agreeable summers rather than unsticking my balls every 10 minutes
- Pubs

Cons
- Cost of living is absurd
- Partner might struggle to find work as the UK slides into a recession and she will start doing my head in
- Gammons now more vocal although Brighton is relatively gammon minimal
- Every time I go home it seems much dirtier than I remember
- Weather is terrible most of the year
- Whatever mad shit the Tories decide to do next

Thanks in advance for your input!

We moved to Malta in 2003 and would never go back to the UK (Not even Brighton) to live.
Every time we go back for a visit we confirm we made the right move.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
That is a very good point, hadn't considered that. That may well be something to consider.

When my brother was toying with coming back he ended up staying and getting his Australian citizenship so that in the future he would be free to move back and forth.

My cousin also lived in Australia and is married to an Australian. He had permanent residency but came back to the UK. After about 10 years of living in the UK, they decided to move back to Australia again, but he had real trouble getting a visa and it was an expensive process. If there's any chance of it becoming an issue, its definitely worth doing whatever you can now to make it easier for yourself in the future.

I've sorted out my residency status here with Brexit in mind. I think we would know in 6-12 months whether it's working out or not but it could be if I'm really enjoying it and she's not, whether I'll be returning to Valencia with her or not!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What?

Attachments

• ABD09062-CCA6-4798-9A0D-64B16EF340CD.jpeg
    ABD09062-CCA6-4798-9A0D-64B16EF340CD.jpeg
    220.2 KB · Views: 305
  • EF0EA1D8-AFD2-4E6F-B7D3-3E7EBDD00CE5.jpeg
    EF0EA1D8-AFD2-4E6F-B7D3-3E7EBDD00CE5.jpeg
    82.2 KB · Views: 302

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Personally, I love Brighton even though I now live in Kent. I would try for somewhere within striking
distance of the city. Cost is less potentially and a decent train service to Brighton (ahem!)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Herr Tubthumper scratches his head

Attachments

• 66A51578-C0F8-4315-B0FB-4AFE08248773.jpeg
    66A51578-C0F8-4315-B0FB-4AFE08248773.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 294
  • 5F30EDFF-71E3-468A-8607-EBD8AF51F4CA.jpeg
    5F30EDFF-71E3-468A-8607-EBD8AF51F4CA.jpeg
    238.2 KB · Views: 296

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
How anyone could think of returning to this shower of shit of a country that we live in, when you have the potential to seek residency in Spain.

Even the UK govt are making a push for expats in Spain to get residency so Brexit doesn't **** em up. Stay where you are and laugh at us as we collapse in on ourselves.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Yes. It's the only part of England I'd give up Tokyo for.

Of course that could just be Nostalgia. I only get back once every 18 months or so and I'm there for a couple of weeks so everything always seems rosy. But, more and more, when I go back I feel I'd be happy to stay.

It's just nostalgia. Brighton is lovely but Tokyo is the dream.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why the heck would anyone want to move to the U.K. right now?

You may as well glue your money to a dog’s arse and watch it run away.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Being a bit more serious, make sure you totally secure your Spanish future before you do anything. Otherwise you might have difficulty reversing any decision. I now have the right to live and work, in perpetuity, in Germany. Try and get the same before you do anything else.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

As an aside, will Bexit cause any issues with your work? Or are you paid in Spain?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I used to live in Gibraltar and southern Spain and the main + points for me about returning to Brighton were

Albion
Diversity
Pubs
Beautiful countryside all around the city
International cuisine
Tennis (all year)
Theatre
Music, concerts etc
Proximity to London for galleries, museums, theatre etc etc

I loved living in Spain because the climate is great 320 days a year but it is very much more of a mono culture with a massive emphasis (in Andalucia anyway) on Flamenco, Spanish guitar music and singing, horses, Spanish food (great but although this is gradually changing and becoming more diverse)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not Brighton but Shoreham is great. Loads of pubs, parking is easier, no graffiti ,etc.

Far nicer than Brighton. But being developed to Hell. Will be unrecognisable in 5 years. And swamped with grockels.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Not Brighton but Shoreham is great. Loads of pubs, parking is easier, no graffiti ,etc.

Don't give the game away, there's more than enough riff raff here already!!!! :lolol:

TBH I'd sit tight in Spain and apply for citizenship unti l the whol brexit thing sorts itself out. I'd leap at the chance to live/work in eurozone.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Far nicer than Brighton. But being developed to Hell. Will be unrecognisable in 5 years. And swamped with grockels.

they are runnig out os apce, it was nicer 15-20 years ago in many respects

chrsit I'm getting old!

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
This is where my holiday house is, one hour from my own house... and I would give it up in a heartbeat to come back to Brighton or even Sussex... provided I had the right job and security for my family.

Attachments

• 11879130_10153557501001410_564163459238315987_o-2.jpg
    11879130_10153557501001410_564163459238315987_o-2.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 253

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here