Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you miss FM radio? Poll to follow

Would you miss FM radio if we lost it for good?

• Yes

Votes: 45 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 40.0%

• Total voters

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If anyone wants to get a bit geeky about current bitrates for our digital stations and learn a bit about DAB+ etc, here's a decent site:

http://www.astra2sat.com/radio/dab-radio/dab-plus/

You'll note that currently only Radio 3 really matches FM for sound quality.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I have a DAB radio and it really isn't all its cut out to be. I certainly don't get crystal clear reception as advertised and of course you can't get matchday coverage on DAB due to BBC contractual reasons. Oh and plus my car radio will be fecked too.
Yes you can listen on dab if you're in the Sussex area.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
DAB/FM etc all be gone by early 2020's,killed off by 5G.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
FM will become a thing of the past soon. As long as this works in line with the accessibility and affordability of DAB I won't mourn. It's a question of how internet coverage widens and, again, becomes accessible.

I thought about buying an internet radio but I see no point. TuneIn has everything and bluetooth runs speakers throughout the flat.

The reach is amazing. I can listen to TMS in open country and [MENTION=791]The Albion Roar[/MENTION] in a forest. I remember listening to a mates hospital internet show on a coach to Bolton Wanderers.

Being a radio enthusiast the progression never ceases to wow me.

I wrote my feelings after the win on the wireless at Fulham last year:

https://brightonlines.com/2015/08/15/a-win-on-the-wireless/

If all forms of media were taken from me and I was left with one, the radio it would be. And now we are all our own broadcasters.

You're right, technology is amazing and I love the choice from interent radio. As I get older and my ears aren't what they were, I become less of a snob about audio quality, although it does still matter to me to have the option available. I too listen to a bluetooth speaker from time to time and it's great taking it up the allotment and listening to downloaded shows as and when I want. Having said all that, I would be sad to see FM go.

Nice little article too btw. Thanks.

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
I see no current reason to change from FM, MW and LW (for TMS). The State is always trying to get you to buy more unnecessary stuff to fit with their plans, but I'll resist until absolutely necessary. If they swich it off, I'll be forced to buy whatever the best new device is, but until then there's little driver for me to do so.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I see no current reason to change from FM, MW and LW (for TMS). The State is always trying to get you to buy more unnecessary stuff to fit with their plans, but I'll resist until absolutely necessary. If they swich it off, I'll be forced to buy whatever the best new device is, but until then there's little driver for me to do so.

I feel that FM will become redundant with the advancement of internet coverage anyway.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Apparently not in Worthing. I just get a message in the LED saying " Content Unavailable " from 3-5 ish.
That's weird. You should be able to. I get it fine in Eastbourne and I know the local matches aren't blocked elsewhere. Did you realise you can listen if you have freeview?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's 'programme'. We're not going to be in the United States of Europe any more, but we're certainly not heading off to join the United States of America, where they have a strange language all of their own!
Just because you don't use it, it doesn't give you the right to say it shouldn't exist. I don't use Tampax, but I don't go round suggesting that those who do should just learn to do without them!

They are no good, a mate of mine tried them for 3 months and he still couldn't ride a horse or rollerskate .

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That's weird. You should be able to. I get it fine in Eastbourne and I know the local matches aren't blocked elsewhere. Did you realise you can listen if you have freeview?

Ta, might try that but I work almost every Saturday and I'm not allowed a telly at work !

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I have a DAB radio and it really isn't all its cut out to be. I certainly don't get crystal clear reception as advertised and of course you can't get matchday coverage on DAB due to BBC contractual reasons. Oh and plus my car radio will be fecked too.

I may be drunk but I have a DAB radio in my kitchen and in my car and I can pick up BBC radio Sussex match coverage with no problem at all, it's internet radio that you can't pick it up for the reasons you state?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here