Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would You Be In Favour Of Mandatory Mask Wearing Again?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Hysteria :lolol:

Maybe if I used CAPITALS it would be less hysteria.

Don’t worry, it’s pretty clear what motives you have.

Yep, it's so easy, kicking the hornets nest and watch some of the hornets get angry.

Problem is, you don't like people to disagree with you and always have to tell them how wrong they are - nevermind!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
3f96e78625b8ecef0a817ee6a2516774.jpg

Keep going Charlie you can do it
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big, big thumbs up - good luck Charlie!

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Who is angry?

Disagree with me all you want, it’s a message board :bigwave:

Nah, not me, I'm all good, don't do angry - frustrated sometimes, in particular with the help for the vulnerable, but angry, no!

Clearly I won't change your mind (and don't intend to or try to), in the same way as you won't change Crodo's.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Nah, not me, I'm all good, don't do angry - frustrated sometimes, in particular with the help for the vulnerable, but angry, no!

Clearly I won't change your mind (and don't intend to or try to), in the same way as you won't change Crodo's.

Just a personal view, but I’ve never thought KG had that in mind :shrug:

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Haven’t read all the thread but the titles about mask wearing seeing what’s happened to my grandson who was healthy and no underlying health issues and the fact I watched a video of 12 ambulances parked outside of Truro hospital most with covid I would say lock down now !

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Is there anyone with an explanation of why countries that are assiduously following mask wearing guidelines such as France, Spain, Italy, and Germany have something like 10-20% of the new case numbers that we have daily?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-...surge-70-parts-europe-track-uk-winter-crisis/

This is interesting, you actually picked a pretty bad example in Germany, even our news is starting to pick up on it.

Germany are doing 100000ish tests a day - positivity rate 8.3%

U.K. are doing 900000ish tests a day - positivity rate 4.8%

Pretty much every other indicator is the same - ICU patients, Deaths, patients on ventilators.

Germany’s case numbers still lag the UK, which saw 51,484 cases reported on Thursday. However, it has seen a similar number of deaths in recent days: 115 people died in the UK and 116 in Germany in the most recent reports.

Comprehensive vaccination campaigns in both countries are ensuring that hospitalisations and deaths are not spiking in the same way as in previous waves, although German doctors warned on Friday that there was still a “close correlation” between cases and intensive care admissions in the country.
There are 1,540 Covid patients in intensive care in Germany, up from 1,300 at the beginning of the month. Of these, 850 are on ventilators; a similar number to the UK, where 872 patients are in ventilator beds.

But yes, they're brilliant because they're wearing masks and we're a selfish plague island.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Haven’t read all the thread but the titles about mask wearing seeing what’s happened to my grandson who was healthy and no underlying health issues and the fact I watched a video of 12 ambulances parked outside of Truro hospital most with covid I would say lock down now !

Genuinely, how's the lad faring now?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Really sorry to hear your fella has been so poorly, hope you get him back home soon!!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Sorry to hear about your grandson, and I hope he gets the care he needs for full recovery.

A big part of the problem with Treliske hospital is bed-blocking - according to the BBC, "there were 120 people in beds in its wards that could have been discharged out into the community but the care simply wasn't there" - they "could be in alternative places like nursing homes, care homes or even in their own homes". Truro has long-term problems that pre-date the pandemic, and something like this highlights how it's always near breaking point. It's often in "black alert", but Covid isn't the only problem.

Good to see him wearing the shirt.:amex:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
France is testing at about half our rate but even taking into account we still have 5 times the infection rate. More in less translates into deaths especially when you consider the 3 week lag of deaths versus cases.

Death 13 / million in UK, France is 3 / million

Basic mitigations save lives and actually ultimately saves the economy as well.
Don't start being logical, they don't like it on here.. Too many people have abandoned the commonsense measures that got case numbers down.

The government can't make mask wearing mandatory or it shows up the same government as being negligent by its actions in lifting mandatory mask wearing on " Freedom " day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't start being logical, they don't like it on here.. Too many people have abandoned the commonsense measures that got case numbers down.

The government can't make mask wearing mandatory or it shows up the same government as being negligent by its actions in lifting mandatory mask wearing on " Freedom " day.

I think what people dont like is making out we are worse than we actually are and incorrectly comparing us to European nations.

What is going in with German and Dutch numbers?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What is going in with German and Dutch numbers?

both doing better in case numbers, similar issue with the not matching lower death rates (though lower). Belgium is the good comparison, they've dropped masks in public places, have lower case rates than UK, not as low as neighbours. its almost as if there's more to it.

heres the thing about mask, based on data, the risk you are protecting from is in crowded settings. in uncrowded settings you arent close enough, for long enough, to make a difference. in general public settings like pubs and resturants you take them off except the 1% of time going to/from seat. we see that the vast majority of transmission are in the home, no masks being suggested. so we have to realise masks serve mostly as a placebo, the effects of wearing them are not changing infection rates, more likley change in behaviour from wearing. i reckon we should bring them back just to close the discussion, stop the silly politicised argument, and take advantage of the behaviour benefit.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
both doing better in case numbers, similar issue with the not matching lower death rates (though lower). Belgium is the good comparison, they've dropped masks in public places, have lower case rates than UK, not as low as neighbours. its almost as if there's more to it.

heres the thing about mask, based on data, the risk you are protecting from is in crowded settings. in uncrowded settings you arent close enough, for long enough, to make a difference. in general public settings like pubs and resturants you take them off except the 1% of time going to/from seat. we see that the vast majority of transmission are in the home, no masks being suggested. so we have to realise masks serve mostly as a placebo, the effects of wearing them are not changing infection rates, more likley change in behaviour from wearing. i reckon we should bring them back just to close the discussion, stop the silly politicised argument, and take advantage of the behaviour benefit.

No we should revert to the pre March 2020 government and WHO advice on mask wearing in accordance with our well established pandemic plan. As Chris Whitty, chief medical officer pointed out

"Although there is a perception that the wearing of facemasks by the public in the community and household setting may be beneficial, there is in fact very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use in this setting. Facemasks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good respiratory, hand, and home hygiene behaviour in order for them to achieve the intended benefit. Research also shows that compliance with these recommended behaviours when wearing facemasks for prolonged periods reduces over time."

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
No we should revert to the pre March 2020 government and WHO advice on mask wearing in accordance with our well established pandemic plan. As Chris Whitty, chief medical officer pointed out

"Although there is a perception that the wearing of facemasks by the public in the community and household setting may be beneficial, there is in fact very little evidence of widespread benefit from their use in this setting. Facemasks must be worn correctly, changed frequently, removed properly, disposed of safely and used in combination with good respiratory, hand, and home hygiene behaviour in order for them to achieve the intended benefit. Research also shows that compliance with these recommended behaviours when wearing facemasks for prolonged periods reduces over time."

The advice was changed once the scientific understanding improved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here