Votes: 216 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 135 38.5%

• Total voters

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I have to admit my MAIN issue with him is the gilet.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
He took over in December so had nothing to do with what was spent. It's largely accepted they bought badly and AVB made a complete mess of their season. Sherwood actually delivered 1.9 pts per game, P22 W13 D3 L6. The 6 defeats inc. L'pool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal. This puts his performance as 5th best in the PL.

Like the comments about McClaren being touted for our job last season, a lot of people appear to be taking a perceived view rather than an objective one.

Here's the league table as if started on 16.12.13, is it really that bad an indictment of his management!?
View attachment 53694

Which begs two questions:

1) Why are Spurs getting rid of him?
2) Can we afford him?

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
No in a word.

But would be much happier going into next season with him in charge than Oscar.

Personally I think its time to stop with the rookie managers, and so for someone with experience.

I don't think the club can afford to get this next appointment wrong.

The JCL are restless, another season with boring football, and I think we will lose a lot of season ticket holders for the following year.

We need someone who the crowd can believe in.

Bottom line I want anyone who will look at the squad and pick a formation, as opposed to someone who will bring in their own style, and try and adapt the players to that.

That is why I think Poyet failed, that is why I am sure Garica failed.

Round pegs in round holes!

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Unlike most people on here, I've met him. Confident in his own ability and a bit cocky, yes - but he doesn't take himself too seriously and I liked the way he said he wanted fewer players in the January transfer window instead of more: perhaps a first in the Premier League. Spurs spent ('squandered' might be a better word) a lot of money on players before Sherwood took over, but he managed to make them look more like a team than AVB did.

He brought Adebayor back out of AVB exile, put young players like Rose, Kane and Bentaleb in ahead of big names/egos, and got the best out of Eriksen, a good signing who had somehow struggled to hold down a regular place. And he might bring Chris Ramsey back with him IF he was interested in stepping down to the Championship.

Okay, we might have to put up with Amex-sponsored gilets in the club shop, but the clincher for me is that we've tended to do well under the management of former Tottenham midfield players ....
You make a very very good case!!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not sure why but I wouldn't be happy with Sherwood. He's just managed a team to sixth in the Premier League so logically he should be great for us but for some reason I would not be pleased if he came here. That's not to say I wouldn't back him if he did come just he wouldn't be my choice.

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
My main issue is with people who use the word 'gilet' instead of 'body warmer'

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
My initial gut feeling was 'NO WAY!'

I really don't like the way he comes across (chippy, flippant, geezer) and his apparent lack of tactical nous - particularly against the top teams - doesn't inspire me either...

Then the reality check - we won't be playing top premier league teams next year and maybe getting out of the championship doesn't necessarily require the same degree of tactical nous as a top-third Prem Manager needs.

I really like his comments about bringing through youth rather than making expensive signings and also how he seemed to free the Spurs players to express themselves a bit more.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

Whether he would come to us is another matter entirely - he would be right to think his experience qualifies him for a lesser Premier League job, so would he come to the Championship, albeit to one of the leading sides?

IF he backs with deeds his previous words about blooding youth instead of making signings, maybe, just MAYBE, he could be the one to push us over the finish line next year.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Sherwood has a decent win record at Spurs - and achieved despite alleged issues with certain players and questions whether he really had the backing of the board, so deserves some credit. However I still have a number of concerns that he is the right man for the job.

As a 'manager' I fear he would be a complete car crash - but as a 'coach' confined to football matters he might just make a go of it. That assumes he would be happy to form a positive working relationship with Barber and Burke and then operate within FFP.

The downside for me is that he might also be a bit of a PR liability, yes he speaks from the heart and could be entertaining - but also comes out with stuff that makes you cringe. I'm not sure that would go down well with Tony Bloom who likes to do a lot of business below the radar and does not enjoy seeing any really dirty washing being done in public, which Sherwood is inclined to do and not very diplomatically either. It may well be a factor in why he hasn't got the Spurs job on a permanent basis. With our contacts at Spurs I imagine Daniel Levy's views will be a factor.

I'm mindful that if Gus and Oscar got frustrated at The Albion so makes me wonder how long it would be before Sherwood goes public? Maybe TB would put up with Sherwood making the headlines, as long as its for the right footballing reasons.

Presumably we would also get Ferdinand and Ramsey as part of Sherwood's team, which might be refreshing? They might just put a dose of salts through the dressing room and send out a team that is properly motivated to tear up the Championship.

It is interesting that Sherwood is also getting mentioned for jobs at WBA and potentially Southampton. If true then maybe the Chairmen at those clubs are happy to put up with his public image, so perhaps we shouldn't be too choosy either?

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
If Spurs believed that he was good enough for them, then he's good enough for us. It didn't work out for him there, but neither did AVB and Redknapp. Doesn't make him useless. We are Championship Brighton, remember, not some European powerhouse who have the pick of Europe's top managers. Sherwood would be a coup for us, a young Brit with good potential and loads of English football experience.

This. Some people on here really do have a bizarre idea of how big a club we actually are.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
he is too big for us IMO. And from his recent comments I think he agrees with me!

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Too much of a risk. He hasn't proved anything yet to say that he would be a good Championship manager. He did okay in his brief time at Spurs, but thats largely down to the fact their squad is worth hundreds of millions of £££. Plus he comes across as an angry & volatile person in his interviews. Do we really want that at the club?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here