Votes: 216 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 135 38.5%

• Total voters

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Levy and the DOF spent the money on the squad at Spurs. AVB wasn't measuring up to their expectations and got the bullet.

Sherwood has been on a hiding to nothing. Even if he'd got Spurs to 4th he'd have probably got he next Levy bullet.

Spiky, passionate, English and with a good coaching pedigree. Isn't that what people want on here?

Managing Brighton isn't going to be the same as managing Spur's multi-millionaires. I've read good things about Sherwood, his coaching of youngsters, he's risen up the ranks in the Spurs hierarchy through 6 years of hard work from what I can make out. Compared with what Moyes has done at United, has Sherwood done all that bad with the fallout from the clueless AVB?

I'd be quite optimistic that we'd have a young, bright, English manager who wants to play the game the right way with a winners instinct who could take our philosophy forward.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Looked like an absolute rabbit in the headlights at Spurs. Couldn't explain why 4-4-2 lump it to the big man wasn't working. Got tactically destroyed by the better sides. Reminded me of Mickey Adams MK 2.

PLEASE no. PLEASE.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I think the issue with Sherwood outside of tactics and whether you like the bloke or not, is that come October when the first PL manager gets the sack, he will be linked with this job and every other PL vacancy during the season, assuming the Albion are close to top 6 of Championship.

Also given his comments regarding getting Spurs into CL if in charge for the full season, he probably wants to manage at at higher level than the Championship.

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
He also doesn't strike me as the type to jump ship after a good season. If we get sherwood it'll be a long term investment

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Can he work to a decent, but not excessive budget? Will he get a strop on when we do not sign someone as they are too expensive/have excessive wage demands? How is he at bringing through DS players?

It's a no from me.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I'm not 100% sure what I think, but on balance at least I'd expect him to be entertaining!! My brother pointed me in the direction of this article about him from football365, which at least made me laugh: http://www.football365.com/profile365/9222509/Tim-Sherwood-Very-Very-Sure-Of-Himself
God but I enjoyed that read :lolol:
Competition for Adkins at last!!!

Still on the fence for me but Tony was after him before (reportedly) and if he gets on with PB (hard as that is to imagine given the apparent size of DimTim's ego) maybe he is worth a go :thumbsup:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Can he work to a decent, but not excessive budget? Will he get a strop on when we do not sign someone as they are too expensive/have excessive wage demands? How is he at bringing through DS players?

It's a no from me.

How is he bringing through DS players, he has been working with Spurs youngsters as a coach since 2008 having success with their U19 and U21 squads. Will he strop? How do we know, he's stuck his job out at Spurs under different management in different positions within the club.

He wasn't afraid to drop failing stars like Soldado and bring in Academy stars like Bentaleb.

He has shown tactical flexibility, but it was Levy and the fans who demanded 4-4-2, and he gave them that, but he also played 4-3-3 and 4-5-1 when required. It didn't always work, but then Spurs are an ensemble of elite players who didn't play for the last manage either.

Players like Eriksen have heaped praise on Sherwood giving them freedom to play without fear, and express themselves.

I think some comments on here are based on pure sound bites and irrational opinion.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Not sure he is a great manager but the club could do with someone who say's what they think publicly. There is far too much secrecy, corporate speak and spin.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So just about the same opinion Spurs fans have had toward most of their managers since Glen Hoddle!!

Well, you can ALWAYS find a group of fans who are unhappy with any manager, so you could say that about virtually every manager, at every club.

All I know, is that my mate is not generally a man who knocks managers without good reason.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nothing wrong with an opinion if you explain it with valid reasoning!! Not, just don't like the bloke!!

Alright, here's the reasoning. He's tactically inept, and looked like he had no clue what he was doing at Spurs. They spent shitloads of tonnes of quality players and by and large he couldn't get them playing. And he seems pretty classless.

Happy?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was happy to take a risk on him last season before Oscar and Happy to do so again.

Only downside is his big gob, but at least we will have some intresting pre and post match interviews again.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I have absolutely no idea about who we should appoint. Just make it someone who understands how we operate behind the scenes, appreciates the budget they have to work with, and will be fully committed to the Albion for their contract.

Oh - and can build a team, gets the most from his players, and is tactically astute.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Alright, here's the reasoning. He's tactically inept, and looked like he had no clue what he was doing at Spurs. They spent shitloads of tonnes of quality players and by and large he couldn't get them playing. And he seems pretty classless.

Happy?

He took over in December so had nothing to do with what was spent. It's largely accepted they bought badly and AVB made a complete mess of their season. Sherwood actually delivered 1.9 pts per game, P22 W13 D3 L6. The 6 defeats inc. L'pool, City, Chelsea, Arsenal. This puts his performance as 5th best in the PL.

Like the comments about McClaren being touted for our job last season, a lot of people appear to be taking a perceived view rather than an objective one.

Here's the league table as if started on 16.12.13, is it really that bad an indictment of his management!?
Screen Shot 2014-05-13 at 11.19.54.png

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I take these points, but were you really convinced by his interviews after losses? He really seemed to be making it up as he went along. And I don't totally agree they bought badly - Eriksen, Lamela and Soldado all had very, very good reputations coming into the club. I didn't say he had anything to do with the spending - they (Spurs) spent shitloads and he couldn't get the best out of them, bar Eriksen towards the end of the season.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Unlike most people on here, I've met him. Confident in his own ability and a bit cocky, yes - but he doesn't take himself too seriously and I liked the way he said he wanted fewer players in the January transfer window instead of more: perhaps a first in the Premier League. Spurs spent ('squandered' might be a better word) a lot of money on players before Sherwood took over, but he managed to make them look more like a team than AVB did.

He brought Adebayor back out of AVB exile, put young players like Rose, Kane and Bentaleb in ahead of big names/egos, and got the best out of Eriksen, a good signing who had somehow struggled to hold down a regular place. And he might bring Chris Ramsey back with him IF he was interested in stepping down to the Championship.

Okay, we might have to put up with Amex-sponsored gilets in the club shop, but the clincher for me is that we've tended to do well under the management of former Tottenham midfield players ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports