Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you be happy with the Albion paying a player a £100,000 a week?

Would you be happy with the Albion paying a player a £100,000 a week?

• Yes

Votes: 69 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 55 44.4%

• Total voters

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I sometimes think we get sold a pup every season from Barber & co, transfer window isn’t easy blah blah other clubs who want a player seem to get deals done fairly quickly. I’m fine if we don’t want to go to the next level a bit of honesty would be nice though.

Barber and the Albion are more cautious than most about what they say about the transfer window and perhaps rightly so. But the idea that other managers / chairman don't equally say the same about getting deals done, landing strikers etc. They do. Every year. (and Albion sometimes do get a lot of business done early including striker targets, but sometimes they don't.).

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
When you look at the way funds are shared across the sport its criminally unfair, bnut the same can be said for musicians, bankers, mechanics, engineers, drivers, all sorts, sure there are those who excel at their profession, but to be paid 200 times more ? are they really 200 times better ? It rare, but some of these guys are paid so much now they're giving it away.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not for me, only one PL season with more than 10 goals for a team who were playing some of the most attacking football in the PL suggest he is not the answer to our problems. Very much overhyped and not sure he would fit in with the way we play as we don’t move the ball forwards quick enough.

I think you're missing [MENTION=17322]Lenny Rider[/MENTION]'s point. In this context, in reply to the original question people are saying that a £100K a week player is outside our scope becuse of the transfer fee. The OP has shown that this is not true. He was asking whether we should also be paying salaries at this level. He was not asking whether we think whether specific players justify their corn. That's a different question.

In answer to the OP's Q, this is old man syndrome (which I freely admit to having the occasional bout). Things change and change and suddenly we go 'enough's enough'. '**** that!' 'Five pound fifty for a bus ticket?' 'A pound for a pint?' 'Fifty quid for a pair of plimsols?' 'You're all mad. The world has gone mad. I'm off!'

Then we give our head a wobble and trudge onward.

There is a separate argument, expressed eloquently by several on this thread, that there should be a salary cap, and maybe a good chunk of the TV money could be directed to good causes, like the national lottery.

Problem is, football is a global game so getting traction would be impossible. Even if we could get western Europe to play along, Russia and it's satellites (ahem, yes, still) would set up a fully commercial football system and pay the best players shit loads of money, just to get one over us :shrug:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It would concern me as it would look like we were going down the same route as last time we were in the top flight .... and look where that got us !

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
[MENTION=3666]lenny[/MENTION]Rider you'll remember the Trevor Francis transfer and how everyone said that paying £1m for a player was the end of football. But it's just the going rate, in the same way as it is now, we want a EPL good striker it costs £100k per week, unless we unearth a gem from Chile or Colombia, and even if we do they'll be sold in a season if they bag 20+ goals. You pay for what you get .... Mark McCammon, Lee Steele, etc etc

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Barber and the Albion are more cautious than most about what they say about the transfer window and perhaps rightly so. But the idea that other managers / chairman don't equally say the same about getting deals done, landing strikers etc. They do. Every year. (and Albion sometimes do get a lot of business done early including striker targets, but sometimes they don't.).
Of course they do but like any other business you have to invest to keep up with the competition, We have 2.5 strikers at the club I’m including a crocked Andone who’s hardly set the world on fire, Maupay half decent and a young Connolly who is a prospect. Last season we missed 75% of big goal scoring chances created the worst in the league. The only thing I can think of is we have some finance issues because things aren’t adding up. Maupay takes a knock and is out for a month or two then what? as things sit we might as well through in the towel.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Of course they do but like any other business you have to invest to keep up with the competition, We have 2.5 strikers at the club I’m including a crocked Andone who’s hardly set the world on fire, Maupay half decent and a young Connolly who is a prospect. Last season we missed 75% of big goal scoring chances created the worst in the league. The only thing I can think of is we have some finance issues because things aren’t adding up. Maupay takes a knock and is out for a month or two then what? as things sit we might as well through in the towel.

Those "finance issues" are that we spend more than we bring in ..... already.

Last edited:

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
What's astonishing is that club's, and more particularly their chairmen/consortia, seem prepared to take a massive financial gamble like this to protect that £110m + PL current income even with such an uncertain Covid (and subsequent viruses) future where there are no crowds, probably future reductions in sponsorship and media income and overall significant reductions in income whilst committing the club to long term contractual payments. It's frustrating because our expectations have been heightened by PL football but overall I am happy with the club being more financially cautious even though there may be a price to pay and because our ongoing survival is more important than PL status,

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Its down to the club if they are prepared to pay this plus the knock on effect on the overall wage structure then fine.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
If as a club and a business we can realistically afford it and Tony is happy to pay it then absolutely yes.

No point comparing football to the real world. £50,000 a week is already beyond the realms of belief to nearly every fan and I understand from here we're already paying nearly that to a number of players and Dunk is probably on even more than that now so really what difference does it make if it goes up to £100,000?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I think unless your are a top 6 club or a club like Everton who are pretty much safe from relegation every season then it is foolish to pay above your means . It is no doubt tempting but not good for the long term financial stability of the club so at the moment it’s a def no from me .

If in 4-5 years time and we are still in the prem and have more money coming in from sponsorship etc and a squad that makes it far more likely to be a mid table team then maybe we could consider .

At the moment, it is a risk too far and let’s face it the player could get injured after 45 mins !

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
It would have to be incremental, sign a striker 50,000pw he scores 15-20 goals and he gets a new contract and repeat.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Hardly scratches the surface of the TV revenue. I have a feeling we won’t ever get to those levels judging by the current transfer window. I sometimes think we get sold a pup every season from Barber & co, transfer window isn’t easy blah blah other clubs who want a player seem to get deals done fairly quickly. I’m fine if we don’t want to go to the next level a bit of honesty would be nice though.

The current raft of PL broadcast deals are a basket case. Broadcasters are hemorrhaging cash. The product that they paid so handsomely for is shit. Rebates will be paid either now or when renegotiation takes place. Scudamore jumped with his £5m parachute/bonus just at the right time???

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Unfortunately that’s potentially how this hunt for a proven striker is going to pan out.

With the Covid pandemic and the resulting dire upcoming economic situation it doesn’t sit comfortably with me, but this is the level of football we find ourselves in, the only way to get off the hamster wheel now is relegation and none of us want that.

I’m old [emoji23] so can’t work out how to put a poll up, could a youngster do the honours please?

Would I be more angry paying 4 poor players £25k a week, it’s all relative

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Potentially?

Absolute rot!

We’re not breaking our remuneration policies on a new striker and you know it but don’t let that get in the way of starting a thread for everyone to have a good moan!

How much do you think we were looking at paying Nunez? It was rumoured Benfica offered him £35k per week, I’m sure we could have topped that but not by a lot.

100k is for the sort of basket-case clubs like Palace where any semblance of control over payroll was lost years ago.

You didn't read the thread properly, having paid 25p to get into my first game 47 and half years ago, I find it abhorrent that, especially in the current situation, we are even talking about this, but I believe if we get the much needed striker in this window, who will effectively help keep us up and remain part of the PL gravy train, we will have to break our wage structure.

In answer to my own question I won't be happy when we pay someone a six figure sum each week but it unfortunately comes with the territory.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
A disgusting wage but it's the reality of life in the Premier League in the age of sports-washing and multi-billion-pound TV deals.

I don’t think ‘disgusting‘ is a fair word . Players who command £100k a week are at the very top of what is , as you say, a multi-billion pound industry. That’s probably the same as any other multi-billion pound industry - the movie business for example.
They’ve earned that wage through hard work and talent.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here