Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you be happy to be in the Championship again

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
There is no doubt it would be a black day if we got relegated back to the Championship but every cloud has a silver lining, and that would come in the form of no VAR, less timewasting, 8 more matches, better kick-off times and a more open competition.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
Once upon a time I was just delighted that we had survived relegation from the Football League by the skin of our teeth.
So while it certainly wouldn’t be the end of the world and I’d enjoy playing some teams we haven’t played for a while, I’d rather we kept our hard earned place in the PL any day.
The Championship is brutal to get promoted from and we have done so incredibly well to consolidate our place in the PL.
So no, I wouldn’t be happy, but not the end of the world either.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There is no doubt it would be a black day if we got relegated back to the Championship but every cloud has a silver lining, and that would come in the form of no VAR, less timewasting, 8 more matches, better kick-off times and a more open competition.
Plus, if I'm having a good day when I wake up in the morning, and feel up to travelling to an Albion away match, no pre-booked ticket, certainly no loyalty points or any of that bollocks, I can just turn up at the ground, ask politely at the ticket office if they can sell me a ticket somewhere near the half way line (which is where I like to watch my football from).

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
Do I want to be relegated? Of course not.
But, once in the championship, would you enjoy it? Yes, of course.
I think that's what the OP was getting at.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Did you love the Hypia season? This thread is full of promotion memories if we went the way of Stoke it would be depressing and shit.
Not at all and there is a chance that could happen. For the club and its finances, Premier League is obviously the best place to be. However I there are many things I don't like about the Premier League. Many teams can start a championship season thinking it could be their year, such an exciting place to be

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I very much doubt that. We would be one of the big draws in the Championship, and would be selected for all manner of shit kick off slots, by Sky.

Leicester this season have had FIVE games in the woeful Monday slot, and SIX on Friday evenings, including away games at Southampton, Cardiff, Bristol and sodding PLYMOUTH...

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I very much doubt that. We would be one of the big draws in the Championship, and would be selected for all manner of shit kick off slots, by Sky.

Leicester this season have had FIVE games in the woeful Monday slot, and SIX on Friday evenings, including away games at Southampton, Cardiff, Bristol and sodding PLYMOUTH...
i don't think we would at all.

We'd still not be seen as a big club in that division.

• Haha
Reactions: A1X

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Don't want relegation, but I don't think it would affect my enjoyment of watching BHA. Both 15/16 and 16/17 were a lot of fun, even thought the former was ultimately dissapointing.

Assuming that the club continues to be run on similar principles, we'd be in a very strong position for a prompt return.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

In recent times we've had Boxing Day evening, New Year's Eve, Mother's Day, Father's Day and any manner of shit family-unfriendly rescheduling. I wouldn't be averse to a Friday evening either, although I recognise it is rubbish for those that travel away.

No, the moaning about refs would dwarf that of VAR. Real goldfish memories here on that. No one seems to remember we actually couldn't write the name of a certain ref on NSC when we were in the Championship. We've never got to that stage with VAR

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Christ almighty what an embarrassing thread, some people must be running out of money buying new non-shitted in beds every day.
I didn't read the thread like that at all. I thought it was an interesting question but not one I expect us to be worrying about in the foreseeable future. There are embarrassing threads on here but they tend to be the non football related ones . IMO

Mar 8, 2024
The issue with the prospect of relegation is there are no guarantees attached.

If you could guarantee that our ownership structure would remain intact, there wouldn't be a mass fire sale of players and exodus of staff, the club wouldn't suffer greatly from the financial impact and we would absolutely, definitely win loads of games and go straight back up- then yes I could live with that.

The reality though is perhaps very different and a number of supposedly well established premier league clubs have gone down (in some cases down again) never to return. I don't fancy the idea of that much

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The issue with the prospect of relegation is there are no guarantees attached.

If you could guarantee that our ownership structure would remain intact, there wouldn't be a mass fire sale of players and exodus of staff, the club wouldn't suffer greatly from the financial impact and we would absolutely, definitely win loads of games and go straight back up- then yes I could live with that.

The reality though is perhaps very different and a number of supposedly well established premier league clubs have gone down (in some cases down again) never to return. I don't fancy the idea of that much
Your point about a fire sale would depend on relegation clauses and wage reductions.

Mar 8, 2024
Your point about a fire sale would depend on relegation clauses and wage reductions.
Of course, and we are a very well run club so likely well set up for such a thing happening. My wider point was that nobody really can guarantee that (unless Mr Bloom happens to be on here) so the idea of going down to the Championship is a lot less palatable

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
No, the moaning about refs would dwarf that of VAR. Real goldfish memories here on that. No one seems to remember we actually couldn't write the name of a certain ref on NSC when we were in the Championship. We've never got to that stage with VAR
What happened at Spurs last season was way worse than the unmentionable ref’s sending off of Stephens imo, no guarantee at all that we would have won that game even if Stephens had stayed on the pitch. Anyway I’d happily live with the occasional controversy of a bad decision than never being able to celebrate a goal without a look at the screen on pretty well every goal. I HATE VAR but not enough to want to get relegated to avoid it :lolol:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
In recent times we've had Boxing Day evening, New Year's Eve, Mother's Day, Father's Day and any manner of shit family-unfriendly rescheduling. I wouldn't be averse to a Friday evening either, although I recognise it is rubbish for those that travel away.
Friday evening Championship games were f***ing awesome. My opinion may be influenced by the fact that we always seemed to win (I don't think we dropped a point on a Friday in 16/17), and as a result it was always an enjoyable stress-free Saturday afternoon watching Jeff Stelling and following the scorelines of the chasing pack.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here