[Albion] Would you be happy to be in the Championship again

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Preferable to bobbing in around in the mid to lower reaches of the PL though, surely?
What, back to wet Tuesday night games away at Millwall or Stoke City in front of a crowd of 8,000?

If we went down, not only would we lose many of our best players, we'd also be a much less attractive option when signing players.

Quite apart from the absolutely massive financial hit we'd suffer.

Yes, I'm disappointed at the way this season has fizzled-out, but as someone old enough to have stood shivering or drenched on the terraces at the Goldstone Ground, watching us scrapping against the likes of Crewe Alexandra, Port Vale, and Rotherham, I'll settle for mid-table mediocrity in the PL any day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We're not getting relegated any time soon.

But a season or two in the Championship would be quite enjoyable for me. Different away days, winning more than we lose, plenty of games without needing to break the bank to go to Rome or Amsterdam.

TB and PBOBE would hate it though. A total money pit.
Ahh.. but what if we won the FA Cup whilst getting relegated?

Then you'd have to fund your 23 Championship away games AND trips to Roma and Amsterdam...

You didn't consider THAT, did you!?

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Ahh.. but what if we won the FA Cup whilst getting relegated?

Then you'd have to fund your 23 Championship away games AND trips to Roma and Amsterdam...

You didn't consider THAT, did you!?
:lolol:

I'd have to admit that I didn't!

Ah well, Millwall and Stoke will have to wait a while.

¡Cereal Killer!

Whale Oil Beef Hooked
Sep 13, 2003
Somewhere over there...
Of course not no. Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world though.
Yes, we will take a financial hit (parachute payments and player sales will help) but with the squad we are developing, I doubt we would need to sign many players, a lot of our younger/fringe players could thrive in the Championship and we could easily come back stronger.
While I obviously don't want us to get relegated, sometimes a step back can lead to an even bigger leap forward.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
If we were relegated I would,of course, be gutted.
However, when the next season began I would follow as closely as now, and enjoy it as much. Sometimes I think it would be good to be free of v a r and the big egos of the Premiership. It would be a tragedy for Tony Bloom though after all his hard work and investment. I would feel for him.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I would be really gutted if we were relegated, but I support the Albion in what ever league we find ourselves in. I think I would feel despondent for quite a while but when the fixture list comes out would be ready to go again.

I would still be devastated for Tony Bloom though.

Last edited:

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I would be really gutted if we were relegated, but I support the Albion in what ever league we find ourselves in. I think I would feel despondent for quite a while but when the fixture list comes out would be ready to go again.

I would steel be devastated for Tony Bloom though.

Jason still playing?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Would I be happy that we'd been relegated? Of course not.

Would I still enjoy watching us in the Championship - of course I would. I'd get to see a lot of wins, and have fun days out. But it is certainly not where I want us to be.

Agree with this.

thbjenkins

Mar 12, 2014
Lancing
No I wouldn’t be happy - we spent too long getting here and it is becoming harder and harder to break through into the Premier League and sustain that for Clubs outside the top 6/7 so if we went down, the loss of revenue (TV/Europe) may completely screw up our financial health, we’d have to offload some of our best players too (more than we do anyway) and it is not too far away from a slippery slope - it never is anyway in the football industry. We have to keep buying low and selling high to survive - if we end up selling for less because we have a Championship side, in this competitive environment we’d be moving backwards. Noone stays still.

I’d be happy frankly if the Saudi sports washers and Qatari conglomerates would fcuk off out of the Premier League but that’s not going to happen so until we are forced out of the Premier League by even more Clubs funded by multi-billion pound sportswashers, I want us to keep moving upwards not moving backwards.

TLDR? No - I don’t want to watch us play Championship level football and not attract the talent we do now because we are a top flight Club. We’d soon be losing as many games in the Championship as we have done on average in the EPL over the years. It’s all relative.
I dunno, I think he ran around quite a bit when he played for us.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Would I be happy that we'd been relegated? Of course not.

Would I still enjoy watching us in the Championship - of course I would. I'd get to see a lot of wins, and have fun days out. But it is certainly not where I want us to be.

I live near Southampton, and many of my mates are Saints fans. They are a rum lot at the best of times, the Saints fans - and never seem very content with their lot. After a run of miserable PL campaigns they finally went down last season. This term, they've been on a record-breaking winning run. They've seen their team win 25 league games (we have won 11) and celebrated 33 more goals than we have.

But they are still constantly dissatisfied. Because it is not where they want to be. They are jealous of my trips to Amsterdam and Rome - and reminisce about their own adventures in Milan and Arnhem.
I wonder if Wolves and Sunderland fans thought that as they were relegated from the PL? only to see them relegated a second time

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Once the disappointment of relegation and a summer had gone by? Hypothetical for at least another season.

I’d be gutted to go down but as long as the club was being run on the same lines as it is now I am pretty sure I’d be happy watching us win more often than lose and sometimes put teams to the sword. Would it be as good as Europe, no, but watching the Albion win and be a top dog in the division takes some beating imo, whichever division it is.

Maybe YOU’D walk away? :wink: I am sure quite a few would
No.

All that people REALLY want when they say "I wish we were in the Championship" or "I miss the Championship" is that they would like to have a really good season (loads of wins and goals) and get promoted.

In which case, why bother going down in the first place? :shrug:

Having said all that, I half expect relegation at SOME point and, when it does happen, it's unlikely to stop me going. But to actively WANT to get relegated? Not for me, Clive.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
No.

All that people REALLY want when they say "I wish we were in the Championship" or "I miss the Championship" is that they would like to have a really good season (loads of wins and goals) and get promoted.

In which case, why bother going down in the first place? :shrug:

Having said all that, I half expect relegation at SOME point and, when it does happen, it's unlikely to stop me going. But to actively WANT to get relegated? Not for me, Clive.
for me it's a tricky one. premier league is clearly the place.to.be.and.for.the.club it's such an achievement and coming back up if or when we go down is not easy.
I don't however enjoy premier league football as much as I did the championship and let's face it, going up again just wouldn't feel the same

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports