Would replacing Jones with Calderon as assistant manager improve things next season?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Can anyone explain with specific information why Jones is disliked by a number of people on here? I'm not after baseless general dislike or distrust of him, but more, what is it he has (or hasn't) done for the club that someone else would do?

Leaving aside any slights to the club he may or may not have made after he left as a player, his footballing intelligence while he was here was on a par with, say, Nooney's. Running diagonally to the corner flag with your head down and no end product just won't do. Don't care how many coaching badges or GCEs in Spanish he's got, we can do so much better. Calde for example. If nothing else, he might inject a spark of enthusiasm into some of these people. Or find some replacements who are ready to fight for the cause.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I just wonder if this could help things at a stroke. I get the feeling seeing Calde urging the players on when warming up on the touchline that he has the respect of the senior squad and he also has the passion that Oatway perhaps brought to Poyet's management set-up that Taricco was never going to provide. I also think that Calde is the more intelligent footballer with a better reading of the game than Jones.

And I can't think of a single fan who wouldn't love the sight of Calde as part of our management team. Has anyone suggested this to Tony?

Eventually.

One, Calderon is still only 32 - he has another three years as a player in him, possibly more. Two, I'd like him to concentrate on his playing roles without being distracted by further coaching responsibilities (in addition to his AITC ones). Three, has he started doing his UEFA coaching badges? Is that not a pre-requisite to being a professional coach?

However, I reckon listening to a motivational speech by him would be quite something.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Leaving aside any slights to the club he may or may not have made after he left as a player, his footballing intelligence while he was here was on a par with, say, Nooney's. Running diagonally to the corner flag with your head down and no end product just won't do. Don't care how many coaching badges or GCEs in Spanish he's got, we can do so much better. Calde for example. If nothing else, he might inject a spark of enthusiasm into some of these people. Or find some replacements who are ready to fight for the cause.

So, you acknowledge it is completely baseless?

By your logic Diego Maradona is 100 times a better manager than Alex Ferguson.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I love Calde but this is all a bit childish really (Re: the dislike of Jones based on nothing tangible whatsoever)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

He's a poor coach because, as a player, he'd run into the corner?

Move over, Hansen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
OK then wise guys, turn the question around: please explain exactly what Nathan Jones brings to the table apart from an O level in Spanish and a couple of coaching badges?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
OK wise guys, turn the question around: what exactly does Nathan Jones bring to the table apart from an O level in Spanish?

I think Calde still has plenty more first-team football left in him yet for this all to be a moot point - by the time he's ready to hang up his boots we'll probably have another manager anyway.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
OK then wise guys, turn the question around: please explain exactly what Nathan Jones brings to the table apart from an O level in Spanish and a couple of coaching badges?

To be fair, what you said is it. He is an experienced coach, which one would assume is better than an inexperienced coach. He is qualified, not sure how obligatory this is at the moment, but no doubt the FA/FL will soon make it a rule, and enforce it fastidiously. And, in our bi-cultural team, having someone fluent in both English and Spanish is probably a huge bonus, especially after employing Oscar, who has never worked or lived in the UK, it must make communication somewhat easier and more effective.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I thought Oscar was being replaced by Malky Mackay before Saturday???

I can't keep up on here...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How can anyone on here have any idea as to the Assistant Coaching abilities of Nathan Jones? Unless you see the guy in training it's all speculation.
His Charlton dev squad won the league last season with the Brighton dev squad as runners up. I'm not sure if that is an example of good coaching but it is an achievement.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Calderon as defensive coach, Vicente as physio.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
So bored of this endless negativity towards Jones. No-one knows what he does, whether he's a plus or a minus to the club or what Oscar thingks of him. And yet he's always singled out for criticism just because he was a knob years ago. Who cares? Get over it.
I love Calde but he has no experience in that area and Jonesy came with a great rep from Charlton.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
NSC seems very unfair on Nathan Jones.

Sure he was a bit of an idiot when we encountered him at Yeovil, but hardly reason for the extreme vilification heaped on him.

I'd back Nathan to get the top job at the Albion, bringing in the fresh ideas of Dean Hammond and Dan Harding as his assistants

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports