Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would it be fair to blame Oscar for that lacklustre performance?

I'd be amazed if it was anywhere near what it was under Gus.

It was an on the record statement by a club spokesman. I don't think they would go around making stuff like that up, so it should be trusted.

I agree Barnes wasn't vital so am puzzled why you would think it worth mentioning him, the problem has generally been Oscar leaving strikers on the bench this season, not having none to start with. We have had a squad that was big enough this season to cope with the injury problems. The problem has come with the injuries clearing up and only winning 1 of our last 4 at home.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
It was an on the record statement by a club spokesman. I don't think they would go around making stuff like that up, so it should be trusted.

I agree Barnes wasn't vital so am puzzled why you would think it worth mentioning him, the problem has generally been Oscar leaving strikers on the bench this season, not having none to start with. We have had a squad that was big enough this season to cope with the injury problems. The problem has come with the injuries clearing up and only winning 1 of our last 4 at home.

The playing budget specifically or the budget as a whole? Can you find me the article? Not suggesting your lying just genuinely interested to see exactly what he was referring to. As for leaving strikers on the bench, CMS has just returned a couple of matches ago, other than that we haven't had anyone even close to Ulloa, so if he has a bad game our goals have dried up. At least Barnes could chip in with some goals, he was our joint top goalscorer when he was sold.

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
It's been touched on in several of the replies that you've got to call the players to book for the performance. They knew what was needed but after 10 mins it was already looking like they weren't up for it. Do people really think OG and Jones said to the players go out there and sit off them and let them pass the ball about. the body lang. of some of the players was shocking, yes LL got fouled and got nothing from the ref but his performance was poor, they even stopped him taking the corners and freekicks because he was wasting them. But he wasn't the only one that couldn't do the basics when asked, have a good look at their goal, Buckley was with Dobbins but let him go when he played the 1-2 with no other BHA player to pick him up and he left Bruno exposed 2 or 3 times by not covering on the right. The players give the impression that you don't know what team will turnup at the Amex and it all can't be down to the coaching team.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

It's been touched on in several of the replies that you've got to call the players to book for the performance. They knew what was needed but after 10 mins it was already looking like they weren't up for it. Do people really think OG and Jones said to the players go out there and sit off them and let them pass the ball about. the body lang. of some of the players was shocking, yes LL got fouled and got nothing from the ref but his performance was poor, they even stopped him taking the corners and freekicks because he was wasting them. But he wasn't the only one that couldn't do the basics when asked, have a good look at their goal, Buckley was with Dobbins but let him go when he played the 1-2 with no other BHA player to pick him up and he left Bruno exposed 2 or 3 times by not covering on the right. The players give the impression that you don't know what team will turnup at the Amex and it all can't be down to the coaching team.

I agree with you...Buckley was also at fault for one of the goals a couple of weeks ago (Ipswich?) and is a liability in that aspect of our game..hence why I wouldn't play with 2 strikers meaning he has to do a more traditional right midfield role.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The players are fighting for their careers - most of them know they're not good enough for the Premiership so what's the dividend for them in getting us promoted?

If they can't get us promoted, why would we renew their contracts? If they can't get promoted with us, why would other teams challenging for promotion sign them? With FFP driving wages down, they will find themselves struggling to get decent contracts at top championship sides, so will end up having to take pay cuts to stay in the division and will have to sign for clubs with no realistic chances of promotion.

If they can get us promoted, they might be given an opportunity to show they are good enough if the team is strengthened elsewhere, if they aren't they could still command a reasonable fee in the post-FFP championship with other teams who want promotion willing to invest their budget in players who have shown they can win promotion.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don't think Barnes was 'vital' but he was an alternative to Ulloa who has been very hit and miss this season. We sold Barnes and tried to get in Grabban, that would have been great business going by his record for Bournemouth but it didn't happen and we didn't sign a good enough replacement. I'm not blaming anyone as it wasn't worth rushing to waste the fee on a striker we weren't sure about, but the fact remains our options have been severely limited. As for the budget, Bridcutt, Bridge and Vicente had to be 3 of our highest earners so I'd be amazed if it was anywhere near what it was under Gus.

Paul Barber & Tony Bloom both said that Oscar had an improved budget.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If they can't get us promoted, why would we renew their contracts? If they can't get promoted with us, why would other teams challenging for promotion sign them? With FFP driving wages down, they will find themselves struggling to get decent contracts at top championship sides, so will end up having to take pay cuts to stay in the division and will have to sign for clubs with no realistic chances of promotion.

I'd like to think that's true but Barnes is earning a lot more at Burnley, & Grabban got an improved contract at Bournemouth instead of coming to us.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Unless someone from the club convinces me otherwise I have a feeling that this has to be a large part of the explanation for the lack of commitment yesterday. Come on someone prove me wrong by beating Yeovil by a large score and doing the business vs Forest - I shall be there to study the effort in the last performance of the season before the players take a 2 month holiday. As others have mentioned before why are the players not motivating each other on the pitch - v.worrying.

Because Gordon Greer is no Nobby Horton. To be honest think he is a poor captain on the pitch.

Orson Cart

Oct 10, 2012
Would it be fair to blame Oscar for that lacklustre performance?

From where I'm sitting I would have to say that Oscar is about 40% to blame for the performance on Monday and the rest is down to the players. What is our game plan these days? I expect there's more to it but it seems like all we do now is punt the ball up to the middle of their half where Ulloa is either wrestled away from it or isn't there anyway and then wait for the other team to come back at us. And that might be an OK tactic if the odd chance it produces was put away. But it never is. And if motivation matters (of course it does) then Oscar needs to show a bit of emotion when things go well and when they don't.

But ultimately its down to the players to do the business. Watching the Chelsea game last night I was struck at the amazing work rate of the all the players - on both sides. I know its a different league (which we hope to join at the end of the season) and the age issue works against us, but if our lads showed half the passion and commitment the results would follow.

Still, when all's said and done, 6th place is pretty good given all that happened at the end of last season etc etc. Personally I hope Oscar is given some funds for two or three players and our full support for another season and next year will be The One.:smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here