Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would getting us promoted to the PL make Hughton our greatest ever manager?

DavePage

It has to be said that Mullery didn't have much success after leaving Brighton, while Hughton has also done very well at Newcastle, Norwich and Birmingham.

Let’s hope we show a little more faith if things go pear shaped.
If we don’t, then we are no better than any of his clubs before us.
It won’t be easy when we go up, but show faith and respect in who you have employed and don’t listen to the bedwetters, cos’ trust me they will be there

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
He would be the best manger since i have followed Albion without question,better than Mullery?

Well here is a video of future Palace manager Malcolm Allison vs future Brighton manager Alan Mullery.....

You decide-1970 Match of the Day..

Both before my time but this is quality. Shame this sort of confrontation doesn't happen now

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
and considering it's Newcastle who we're up against for the title. It has to be considered our greatest moment of glory. Possibly the biggest team to drop to the 2nd teir in the last 30 years.

It is apt that it is Newcastle we are up against, bearing in mind that famous occasion on 4th May 1979!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Overall: 1. Mullery
2. Hughton
3. Poyet
4 Saward
5 Lloyd

Single Achievement 1. Hughton (16-17 - assuming we go up)
2.Mullery (78-79)
3.Gritt (96-97)
4.Poyet (10-11)
5.Saward (71-72) In my opinion obviously

Micky Adams surely deserves to be in that top 5. He built a fantastic side, winning back to back Championships on a shoestring (compared to people like Alan Pardew at Reading). Sure, he was absolute toilet in his second coming, but so was Alan Mullery.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This is actually a very good question. I would still, at this point in time, tilt towards Mullery. His teams played with an unbelievable flair that I don't think you see in football at any level these days. But he did inherit a good team and made them better. Hughton has literally started his own team. He dragged us out of that nasty spot the Fin put us in. They have both got us in the top three twice. If Hughton gets us up, he has equalled Mullers record of 77/78 and 78/79. As someone posted however, he needs a couple of years with us at Prem level to get near Mullers. So for this reason, I will go for Mullers with Chris very much entrenched in second place... for now.

It is a great question! and as someone who has seen both of those times, i'm torn.
79 was absolutely magical but to do it today is much harder imo, back then the gulf between the leagues was never as high, and the competitiveness of the second tier was never as close as today. Todays footballers are all athletes, sports science, diet and psychology are all huge factors and to overcome the financial odds stacked against you with parachute payments and huge disprarity in budgets makes what Hughton is about to do even more impressive.
In 79 players allegedly would have a full English if they felt like it and a few pints on the weekend and were never as fit, but thats not to detract from Mullery who is and always will be a club legend.
Both Managers were blessed and lucky to have visionary chairman who were also true fans and who backed them. Bamber and Bloom are without any shadow of doubt also the clubs two best chairman.
It felt more magical in 79, it feels harder earned in 17, Mullery had a promotion winning team, added some good players and got them promoted again. Hughton inherited a mess fighting relegation and in no time has transformed the club. I am not going to say who is the greater manager as so many variables differ, but going with the head over the heart i will say Hughton's achievement is greater.

I wonder whom of the 1979 team purely on a skills basis (if they were 38 years younger) and the same age today as they were then, would be in the current squad or even a starter?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not much compo to be fair. In my time of watching, Freddie Goodwin was excellent. Peter T Taylor (friend of Clough, not the palarse numptie) was excellent. Mullers got us up when 3 went up automatically, and he inherited Taylor's team. But as stated, he kept us up.

Before my time, it will take an awful lot to top Charlie Webb. I like to see success and longevity. Boy did he have longevity.

So I'd be quite happy if CH stays till he reaches the Curbishly/Clement event horizon (i.e., either CH or the club decide to make a change in order to 'go on to the next level' :lolol::mad: ) Till then, Jury's Out.

ps surprised at you, [MENTION=5200]Buzzer[/MENTION], for your premature ejaculation :facepalm::lolol:

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
It's clearly as good as Mullery getting us up in '79 and given the huge difference in resources available to a lot of other teams in this league it's arguable that it's been a much more difficult achievement this time around. I think he's our greatest.
Apples and pears.... but I have been a fan through both eras and it is plainly a much harder task now that's for sure.

CH will get my vote if we stay up 1st season. ( if we go up of course)

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
And the great news for Hughton on a personal front is that even when it is over with Brighton - hopefully not for a good while yet - he can presumably have the post O'Neill Ireland job pretty much any time he wants if he takes us up. So his short, medium and long-term career looks sewn up.

I'd make Mullery/Hughton joint and Poyet our best three managers. Although I really liked Chris Cattlin's team.
I think he'd get a shot at England job if he keeps us up.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here