Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Would Corbyn have been worse than Johnson ?

Would Corbyn have been worse than Johnson ?

• Of course he would

Votes: 117 46.1%
  • He couldn't be as bad as Johnson

Votes: 137 53.9%

• Total voters

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Unlike Johnson, Corbyn didn't unseat any of his MPs who disagreed with him. And the nature of the British electoral system means he would probably have to govern with other parties too.

So if he'd won an election, he'd have to govern with the support of right-wing Labour MPs and MPs from other parties. He'd have to compromise and find common ground, possibly on a division-by-division basis. He wouldn't have had a free reign to do whatever he wanted like Johnson does, and by definition that would have led to better governance.

And we wouldn't be watching the NHS being run down and privatised before our eyes.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
This tory response is redundant and predictable at the same time. When tory acolytes are in an indefensible position as they are now they always come up with the same drivel...

'The tory government may be dreadful, but just imagine the alternatives!'

It's cynical negative politicking and undermines the intelligence of the electorate......

'must do better!'

Last edited:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Not to be abused as a state run source of info for the masses, of course.

What?

How does this even make sense? Do you understand that the system by which you link to the internet is different from 'information on the internet'?

The latter is indeed abused but a) that is irrelevant to the Labour proposal and b) the abuse is enabled and carried out primarily by powerful private sector interests, which Corbyn was actually prepared to challege, unlike any other leader of a major poltical party that I can remember.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
What?

How does this even make sense? Do you understand that the system by which you link to the internet is different from 'information on the internet'?

The latter is indeed abused but a) that is irrelevant to the Labour proposal and b) the abuse is enabled and carried out primarily by powerful private sector interests, which Corbyn was actually prepared to challege, unlike any other leader of a major poltical party that I can remember.

I think we can all see the direction that was headed in.

:wink:

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
BTW, this poll will be far from representative. Corbyn's main achievement (or main crime in many eyes apparently) was engaging younger people in politics in relatively large numbers.

Younger people who had been alienated from mainsteam politics for decades. Who were excited to have someone talking about things that mattered and made sense to them. Young people who (partly because of that alienation and partly because they are young) were often naive, idiealistic over enthuisastic and yes, occasionally stupid or even nasty (like football supporters every party has them - see also 'young Tories').

People under 35 are significantly under-represented on NSC as I recall from a previous poll whereas cynical middle aged centrist dads...

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I think we can all see the direction that was headed in.

:wink:

Hreaded in the direction of acknowledging that access to good broadband is no longer a luxury, to be left to 'the market' but a public good that we all need in order to engage fully and productively in society?

Yup

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
What?

He's obviously tribal... and beyond engaging in reasonable debate...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Unlike Johnson, Corbyn didn't unseat any of his MPs who disagreed with him. And the nature of the British electoral system means he would probably have to govern with other parties too.

So if he'd won an election, he'd have to govern with the support of right-wing Labour MPs and MPs from other parties. He'd have to compromise and find common ground, possibly on a division-by-division basis. He wouldn't have had a free reign to do whatever he wanted like Johnson does, and by definition that would have led to better governance.

And we wouldn't be watching the NHS being run down and privatised before our eyes.

Lots of valid points in this thread on both sides of the argument (the lack of quality and competence in Corbyn's shadow cabinet / the inherent media bias against the 'commie' are two of the more important), but for me this post is the best so far, in regards to actually answering the OP's question.

borat

Jul 16, 2003
Lots of valid points in this thread on both sides of the argument (the lack of quality and competence in Corbyn's shadow cabinet / the inherent media bias against the 'commie' are two of the more important), but for me this post is the best so far, in regards to actually answering the OP's question.

We also wouldnt be seeing the high levels of corruption that the Tory Party are showing. Has there been a more corrupt government is most of our lifetimes.

The propaganda levels in the media against Corbyn were unprecedented and will make a good case studies for future historians. You had daily hit pieces against him from even so called left wing papers like the Guardian, ex Mi5 bosses and US intervention from top Trump official Mike Pompeo (he said in recordings that the US would interfere to prevent Corbyn).

Jan 30, 2008
Yes.

Corbyn would be worse.

Imagine Diane Abbott as Home Secretary.
Imagine John McDonnell as Chancellor
Imagine Emily Thornberry at Foreign Secretary.

It would be horrific.

Of course it would but don't worry that isn't going to happen ,I'd take anything with support for JC on this thread with a pinch of salt :thumbsup:

Regards
DF

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Anyone seeking to redress the division of wealth inbalance in this country, will always be seen as incompetent and unelectable for some reason..

I can write reams and reams of dull worthy arguments, and you've summed it all up perfectly in a single sentance

Do you work in communications of some kind?

borat

Jul 16, 2003
I can write reams and reams of dull worthy arguments, and you've summed it all up perfectly in a single sentance

I can add to the criteria of making the whole media/state move against you with its full might to make sure you are unelectable.

1) Talking about wealth inequality/redressing the balance 2) Tax increases 3) Criticism of Israel (and increasingly Saudi/UAE) 4) any slight mention of nationalisation e.g trains 5) Reduction of our military adventures overseas

If you do the above, the propaganda machine will paint you as the devil incarnate who will destroy the nation.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Thanks - No i don't work in communications.

I've made the sort of lengthy arguments that you mention, multiple times before.
They fall on deaf ears.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Watch this and tell me Corbyn would have been worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkzRzFvGYmg&t=71s

We can only go on how the Labour Party are now (which isn’t a completely fair judgement on JC I know) but we wouldn’t have come out of restrictions in July and delayed the delta exit wave and we would have been in lockdown now.

He wouldn’t have lined his pockets though been an awful person though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here