Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Would Andone be granted automatic re-entry to the UK in January?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Could you represent Percy Tau and Mac Allister? Thanks.

Andone has an employment contract in the UK. Those two players do not.
Perhaps I was a little too emphatic though and we cannot have absolute confirmation until we hear from the FA. I got a little distracted by discussion of the smoke and mirrors around general skilled worker immigration.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
if you hadnt noticed, footballers appear to have special rules on immigration. if not literally, they have people and money to work through the system, as other high value professions do. plan b would be taking Irish citizenship.

How would Andone qualify for an Irish passport!?

(A Spanish one, would seem more realistic, given that’s where he grew up)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This question could be asked of other loanees, so is more of a general query. EU Nationals who continue to work in the UK after 31st October are expected to be allowed to remain (if you think leaving the EU is debatable, then please debate it on the appropriate thread :)) But what about those who have already returned home, or even gone on to work outside the EU e.g. Turkey? If recalled, will Florin just have to say to the immigration officer "It's OK mate, I used to work here." ?
No doubt somebody will point out that Andone is still under contract to Brighton and Hove Albion, but so are Messrs Tau and Mac Allister!

The status is based on continuous residency of 5 years, much as for non EU citizens and in line with other EU countries, there are exceptions that are allowed

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families/what-settled-and-presettled-status-means

basically though if you are not a citizen, have been here for a while and bugger off to work abroad for a few years you do not meet the specifications of being a continuous resident

edit, having just seen the thread title saying returning in January....

the regulation exemption to continuous residency says

"one period of up to 12 months for an important reason (for example, childbirth, serious illness, study, vocational training or an overseas work posting)"

I suspect he would fall under the overseas work posting section considering his contract.........so yes can return
ps i am not an immigration lawyer , fairly certain though the Albion are quite clued up on this now legally.......you would hope so anyway

Last edited:

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Brexit will definitely have an impact on football in this country, and particularly for non-top 6 clubs

We've seen how it can be hard to sign non-EU players currently with Tau and Mac Allister, well that's now going to be the case for ALL foreign players isn't it?

Top 6 clubs will hoover up all the elite talent from the top european nations leading the rest of us to go and swivel

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We've seen how it can be hard to sign non-EU players currently with Tau and Mac Allister, well that's now going to be the case for ALL foreign players isn't it?

Top 6 clubs will hoover up all the elite talent from the top european nations leading the rest of us to go and swivel

Yes... which is ironic really given our immigration rules are already much stricter than the EUs but we want to further narrow that down

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Any EU national - as with others currently - will presumably need an entry visa, as will we to travel in Europe (don't expect them to be kinder to us than we are hostile to them). I suspect it will largely be chasing paper and paying out extra cash each time - little more than tiresome.
New signings from outside UK may be entirely more complicated.

el punal

Just get Barry Fry, he of Peterborough and Craig Mackail-Smith fame, to accompany our Florin back to the U.K. When approached by immigration on who is Andone is he just has to say “It’s okay, he’s Fry’s Turkish Delight.”

Taxiiii!! :drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here