Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would an England team made up of players

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
A cracking question that has often been pondered!
Whilst many year ago, steve Bull proved you could step up.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
As well as championship players, there must be some uncapped players in the Premiership who could be given a go instead of the usual big time charlies.

Starting with Zamora of course.

Maybe Cahill at Bolton, Etherington at Stoke (at least he is left footed). Wilshere

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
I have always advocated this - why does the national team HAVE to be made up of prem players.
When they announce an England squad they should pick plaers in form not the same tired old names all the time. They should pick say a dozen from each division and see how they do in training. It could be a step too far for some but we'll never know until it;s tried and, let's face it, you could come up with some exciting new talent

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I think we need to go back to a time when it really meant something to turn out for your country, when there was pride and honour to have three lions on your shirt...last night it might just as well have been three kittens for the bite the team had!

My proudest moments, not just sporting, have been two hockey games played against German teams...I know that the team I played for gave everything they had and even though we were beaten on both occasions we could leave the field of play with pride.

Maybe we are being harsh about the performance last night, perhaps the team did give everything, maybe they were just not up to it and we are deluding ourselves that we are still a major footballing power who are capable of winning something.

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I think we need to go back to a time when it really meant something to turn out for your country, when there was pride and honour to have three lions on your shirt...last night it might just as well have been three kittens for the bite the team had!

Spot on-they couldnt give a flier,other teams crying when their national anthem plays,ours dont even sing,Ashley Cole says he would rather win the double with Chelsea than the world cup etc etc.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Kevin Nolan would be FLAIR. He's had an amazing season but football doesn't exist outside the Premiershit to Capello.:wanker:

Is David Nugent the last man to play for England outside the top flight when he was at Preston?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Utterly ridiculous idea. Players outside the Premiership are players outside the Premiership for a reason. They're not good enough.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Steve Bull was in the old division 2 (championship) when at wolves, and despite scoring on his debut never made much of an impact for England, I'm not even sure he scored another international goal.

As has been written above, these players play for premiership teams for a reason and it's up to the management to get the best from them.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
To answer your question, look at Ireland's 3-0 win over them a few weeks back (admittedly a friendly). That was a side made up of fringe players from the lower Premiership and Championship. The only exceptions were Duff and Keane (who at the time was at Celtic, which most on here seem to stress is a level lower than the Championship).

So yes, they could.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
Utterly ridiculous idea. Players outside the Premiership are players outside the Premiership for a reason. They're not good enough.

Sweeping statement old chap ! What about Jonas and the Spanish player at Newcastle,seem good enough to play for Argentina and Spain (they were a Championship side when squads picked). I would definitely have given Andy Carroll a go up front ( as Scotland are sniffing round him) .
It's the fact that the Premiershite is taken as being the B all and end all of our national side, for goodness sake we're up against Wigan's keeper on Wednesday, got to be higher placed than 2 of our keepers? :shootself

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Sweeping statement old chap ! What about Jonas and the Spanish player at Newcastle,seem good enough to play for Argentina and Spain (they were a Championship side when squads picked). I would definitely have given Andy Carroll a go up front ( as Scotland are sniffing round him) .
It's the fact that the Premiershite is taken as being the B all and end all of our national side, for goodness sake we're up against Wigan's keeper on Wednesday, got to be higher placed than 2 of our keepers? :shootself

I take your point that there are a few exceptions such as those you mention, but a whole team.......nah.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton

No thats the Serbia keeper, Handanovic plays for Udinese

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
against last nights oppoistion, yes, they probably would do better. more hunger for it, but without the expectation and pressure. go out an enjoy their game, play to stengths and get a result

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It would be soo refreshing. Been thinking it for years. Sack the current team get the best from the championship and some pace (in the form of wingers) from the premiership

Perhaps with such a sweeping statement you should actually name a team then.

I have always advocated this - why does the national team HAVE to be made up of prem players.
When they announce an England squad they should pick plaers in form not the same tired old names all the time. They should pick say a dozen from each division and see how they do in training. It could be a step too far for some but we'll never know until it;s tried and, let's face it, you could come up with some exciting new talent

Who says the team has to be made up of premiership players! It's just that common sense dictates that the best players are likely to be in the top league. On form, name championship players that are better than the current squad. Also, how do you know that these championship players aren't going to freeze on the big occassions as well?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here