Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would a 17th placed finish in the Premier League next year constitute success?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Yes, this old codger remembers it as well.
The only way we can improve the 'arrival' is to invest a few bob!!!:

Yup, have said it before, if every STH sticks £2,000 in the club over the summer then it’s an extra £40m for the playing budget.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed, being an old codger who remembers 1979-83 it was similar then, which is why crowds dipped to below 10,000 at the Goldstone for top tier football.

Being in the Premier League is a classic case of 'It's better to travel than to arrive'.

Except for Leicester and Wolves who somehow morphed into big spenders on top quality players. Leicester to buy Tielemens this summer for £40m, whilst Wolves bought Jiminez last month for £30m. I haven’t a clue how they achieve that, with our comparable top fee currently £17m and wages cap £50k a week.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Yes, this old codger remembers it as well.
The only way we can improve the 'arrival' is to invest a few bob!!!, have a manager who can get get the best out of his squad whilst attempting to play something resembling attractive football and have aspiration to improve year on year.
The alternative is to constantly fester around the base, bottom fishing for the occasional points by beating your near rivals...........unfortunately, we haven't managed to do even that this season.:ohmy:

El Pres. why have you cut me short?
I get the dosh bit, but you still need the rest of it, as above, if one is to improve the 'arrival'.
Money is not the sole requirement to improve the 'arrival.'

Last edited:

loco61

Jan 30, 2004
Hove GOSBTS
I think we should aim for more points than this year. 40 seems to be a number CH and others like!
Yes we could still get 40 so if we do ... i am only happy with 41 next year : 16th or 17th and at least 10 more goals than this year ... that and getting to Wembley would be a success in my opinion.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
People saying we'll win all these games in the championship, do you not remember the championship!?

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Yep... 22 game unbeaten run wasn't it? Those were the days!

But then I also remember being unable to come back from 1 goal down for what seemed like forever under Poyet and a stupidly long wrong of not scoring more than 1 goal per match.

Wasn't always a walk over but we had a great time in the latter years.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Constantly being the whipping boys who don’t entertain will certainly take it’s toll on season ticket renewals next season imo.

Season ticket renewals this season, admittedly before the disastrous last few games was 94% , last season it was 95, and before that 95. Ie: a stable/normal turnover.

And The waiting list is still thousands strong. Thus could happen ( we could get relegated - even now) but there are no signs at the moment. The comparisons with 1979-83 , whilst tempting, are completely wide of the mark . The demand for prem league football is still pretty resilient even if you only win 10 or so games a season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Season ticket renewals this season, admittedly before the disastrous last few games was 94% , last season it was 95, and before that 95. Ie: a stable/normal turnover.

And The waiting list is still thousands strong. Thus could happen ( we could get relegated - even now) but there are no signs at the moment. The comparisons with 1979-83 , whilst tempting, are completely wide of the mark . The demand for prem league football is still pretty resilient even if you only win 10 or so games a season.

Well here’s hoping we aren’t going to find out and have a decent season next year, whichever division we are in. Premier League is the most likely :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here