Worthing Rugby Union

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
20-22, back to the close victories.

Yoda

English & European
Lost 29-6 I think... Barking a very good team.

Score correct, but flatered Barking a little IMO but were better than us. Two big penalty decisions cost us. There wasn't a knock on by Charlie McGowan that led to their first try. He didn't even touch the ball and chickened out of going for it from the kick off. Second one was in the build up for their third try. Should have been a penalty to us for holding on just before they went to the corner for a line out.

Was also surpised by the amount of changes made for todays game.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
At one point Barking spent 15 minutes strait in our half. I sat in the mini stand again, the fans are funny, that's why I love sitting in there :lolol:

We had so many breaks but just couldn't score a try. The turning point was when (no.14?) dropped the ball from the interception, if he scored that we would have been 2 points behind and would have gained a little bit of confidence. The referee was well annoying I thought.

Barking are bloody good though, they deserve to go up imo. The best Worthing can do is probably 5th now this season. I don't fancy them going up anyway as we would probably get thrashed every game in the English National league 1:cry:

Anyway, good try Worthing:thumbsup:

Dr Q

Jul 29, 2004
Cobbydale
Enjoyed watching Bath put 5 tries past Wuss today:thumbsup::clap2:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
One could have forgiven Manchester for cutting short their journey and spending the day wandering about the dreaming spires of Oxford or having a punt along the Thames. Instead they foraged on along the M40 and M25, final destination Richmond.

A summer financial meltdown left the Mancunians with a depleted squad playing well above their level of capability. Nineteen games, nineteen defeats and 1,664 conceded points later, they found themselves in Richmond playing a formidable London Scottish destined for promotion to the Championship - a promotion away from rubbing shoulders with Bath, Leicester, Harlequins and the other giants of the oval shaped ball game. It was a long way to travel for another thrashing and let's face it, that was always on the cards.

London Scottish, justifiably, felt able to rest a few key players and a merry crowd were ready with their calculators. This wasn't set to be a battle between two lions fighting to lead the pride, it would best be described as a bloody bout between a Honey Badger and someones pet rabbit. Don't let the word honey convince you that the badger is anything but a ferocious beast.

Manchester started with a spring in their step and matched the Exiles for a short period. The coil soon lost it's bounce and the inevitable opening try came within ten minutes of the start. Some sloppy passing and poor handling prevented an early deluge of points. The Scots soon found their stride and began to work the ball around with flight and guile. A hot knife and butter would not do justice to the ease at which the Manchester defence was breached time and time again. At some point during the first half I got lost as to which players were running in the tries as my attention was drawn towards a rather attractive blonde sitting a few rows down from my small party. Exquisite beauty, similar to that of the eleventh try.

A half century (52-0) was posted by the interval and some refreshment was in order in the shape of a pint of the brown stuff. The Exiles started where they left off and the scoreline was increased by seven with an early try and conversion. Understandably, the heads of Manchester had dropped and the tries kept coming. Conversions were being missed at regular intervals preventing a three figure scoreline and lead.

The temperature began to plummet, but Manchester battled on bravely. London Scottish eventually got stuck on 87 points without reply. The last score to register was a throughly deserved try for Manchester. Deserved, not necessarily for their skills, more so for the fact that they never gave in. The home fans rightly applauded that final try and the Manchester players celebrated wildly providing a little cheer in what has been a torrid season. A Rocky Balboa quote would be good now.

"Yo, Adrian, we did it... We did it."

Whoops. Wrong one.

"The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward". Smart man.

London Scottish should be reasonably pleased with their overall performance and Manchester should take heart from the fact that they shall soon be playing at a level more suited to them. Heavy defeats should not be dwelled upon. I'm afraid I am going to use that cringeworthy old adage now... "It's not the winning that counts, it is the taking part".

Final Score - London Scottish 87 vs 7 Manchester

Quote of the Day: On his incumbant reitrement from rugby "I think I'll go down to the pub for a quiet pint... followed by 17 noisy ones" - Gareth Chilcott

Word of the Day: Apodyopsis - The act of mentally undressing someone

At the risk of sounding too much like Jerry Springer. Take care of yourselves....and each other.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Manchester are appalling they've lost 145-0 and 148-0.

But they did ok against redruth a few weeks back going in at half time 23-14 down but redruth went on to make 50 :(

Yoda

English & European
BoF, what's this I heard about the Arab whose pumped money in to Scottish getting involved with Welsh too, against the league's rules?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
BoF, what's this I heard about the Arab whose pumped money in to Scottish getting involved with Welsh too, against the league's rules?

Oooh. I've no idea about that. I don't think the chairman has changed, but there does seem to have been some serious investment over the summer. It wouldn't surprise me if there was some 'mystery' benefactor.

I can't imagine it would be allowed to support two teams, particularly if they are to play in the same league next season. I think they intend to go professional in time for next season.

Yoda

English & European
35-7 win and a good win at that.

Solid at the back, withsatnding good pressure in periods of the game.

Try in the first minute for Worth. Didn't see what the try for Ding's was. Think it may have been a penalty try.

Andrew

May 15, 2008
Sussex
Who heard that fatty in the front row saying " Go back to wales!"

Quality! I sat right behind him so my ears have gone! Great win worthing!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Manchester lost their funding last summer, and as a result all of their 1st team players left. Their first team is now made up of a mixture of 2nd team players and students, and as a result they're probably playing about 3 leagues above their level. This has happened to a few clubs at various levels where the clubs don't actually make much money on gate receipts or bar takings, and the money to pay players is provided by a rich sponsor/benefactor. I believe Guildford is another example of a club that suddenly found themselves unable to keep the players to be competitive in their league.

Any idea how Worthing fund wages?

Yoda

English & European
Sadly, I can see Manchester going the same way as Mount's Bay. :(

Worthing only pay per game I think, they used to for the kiwi's a few years ago anyway. Income is from sponsorship and membership, and anything thay get from the RFU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here