Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Worthing fc

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Worthing, one match away from playing the likes of Oldham, Southend, Rochdale and Hartlepool amongst others. It’s huge!

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Just back from the game - classic tight play-off match with plenty of chances at both ends.
Worthing had the better of the first half, going ahead with an Ollie Pearce penalty, but Stones grabbed a bit of a comedy equaliser just before half time after the ball pinged around the penalty area.
Maidstone looked the stronger side as the second half went on, playing with the wind and down the slope, and Worthing had to rely on occasional breakaways for their opportunities. It was all heading for extra time, then a crazy couple of minutes saw Stones pile on the pressure and somehow hit the bar from 5 yards out when it looked easier to score, only for Rebels to break through the excellent Felix (my MOM) to feed Ollie and Mr Goal Machine did the rest.
Braintree at home on Easter Monday (3pm KO) - tickets will fly even faster for this decider.
Fuller match report here: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/report-worthing-v-maidstone-play-off-305840/
Up the Rebels :)

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Assume players will go full time if promoted. Are there many players at Worthing who are late 20s plus and would not want to go FT

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Nervy game, no idea how Maidstone didn’t score before Ollie Pearce did, their player was standing about 5ft out and smashed it against the crossbar with the goal gaping.

Maidstone arguably the better team.

A lot more enjoyable day out than the other Sussex team playing today, though there were audible groans throughout the crowd from people getting score updates.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Makes a change for a team from Sussex to do well in the playoffs

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Just back from the game - classic tight play-off match with plenty of chances at both ends.
Worthing had the better of the first half, going ahead with an Ollie Pearce penalty, but Stones grabbed a bit of a comedy equaliser just before half time after the ball pinged around the penalty area.
Maidstone looked the stronger side as the second half went on, playing with the wind and down the slope, and Worthing had to rely on occasional breakaways for their opportunities. It was all heading for extra time, then a crazy couple of minutes saw Stones pile on the pressure and somehow hit the bar from 5 yards out when it looked easier to score, only for Rebels to break through the excellent Felix (my MOM) to feed Ollie and Mr Goal Machine did the rest.
Braintree at home on Easter Monday (3pm KO) - tickets will fly even faster for this decider.
Fuller match report here: https://www.kentonline.co.uk/maidstone/sport/report-worthing-v-maidstone-play-off-305840/
I didn’t realise there was a slope at Worthing? Thought the pitch was flat. Otherwise, thanks for the report!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Was a pretty nervy game and for much of the second half Maidstone were dominant. I guess it was two teams desperate not to lose, at 1-1 and getting closer to FT the were plenty of unforced errors, but what a great goal in the last minute. Hope I can get a ticket for Monday.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I’ve always supported this side …well since 5pm today….sod the Albion…come on Utd
Oh I remember well an FA Cup 2nd round game away to Oxford Utd, early 80s... we commandeered a transit for the day,.. 15 of us crammed in... uniform Doc Martens, jeans, green flight jackets and wedge haircuts .... all piling out giving the local plod heart attacks... all hell broke lose, we apparently were outside the local 'firm' main pub.... happy days.

PS, lost 5-0 I think.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Oh I remember well an FA Cup 2nd round game away to Oxford Utd, early 80s... we commandeered a transit for the day,.. 15 of us crammed in... uniform Doc Martens, jeans, green flight jackets and wedge haircuts .... all piling out giving the local plod heart attacks... all hell broke lose, we apparently were outside the local 'firm' main pub.... happy days.

PS, lost 5-0 I think.
4-0, although got turned down for a cast iron penalty on the hour at 0-0.

Robert Maxwell famously sent one of his minions the night before to the Worthing hotel to tell the WFC committee what the attendance was going to be and their share of the gate 😂

It’s perfect that the final is at home this year after the tonking at Oxford last season. They must start marginal favourites - great work after losing Hinshelwood

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Out of interest, why at Woodside Rd? Not a neutral venue?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing

Easter Monday ???

Out of interest, why at Woodside Rd? Not a neutral venue?
Just the way they do the playoffs in Conf South, the team finishing highest in the regular season gets a reward. All easier to organise too I expect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here