Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

worthing fc "The Rebels" so when/what was the rebellion ?

Grendel

Jul 28, 2005
Seaford
Cadiz Seagull said:
Er... or even something to do with the rooks that are always flying around the ground - and indeed the castle in the banner?

There are vast numbers of them along Grange Road which attempt to shit on me every day on my way to work.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
ditchy said:
wasnt that to do with the aquirium that was also founded at a similar time to brighton

Don't want to scotch all the great dolphin ideas, but I'm fairly sure we were the Dolphins because there are two of the things in the town crest of Brighton.

Incidentally, I've seen dolphins in the sea off Brighton on a number of occasions - they're not perhaps as exotic as you might think in these parts.

mcbigfella

Dec 20, 2013
Fact of the day - Billy Idol (William Broad) was educated at Worthing High School for boys and Worthing Sixth Form College, before attending Sussex university (see wiki). He was an avid Worthing FC fan and would attend matches on a regular basis at Woodside Road. His love for the club and it's unique atmosphere later manifested itself in his international hit single "Rebel Yell" an ode to his team.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
I think Bognor are called the Rocks because of the rocky area just off the coast which is shown on some maps as Bognor Rocks.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Always liked the original names for Belfast's Ice Hockey team. In the 90's they were called The Belfast Bombers which was ordered to be changed. It was duly changed to The Belfast Bullets until the marketing dept all got the sack. Think they are called Belfast Lightening now.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Don't want to scotch all the great dolphin ideas, but I'm fairly sure we were the Dolphins because there are two of the things in the town crest of Brighton.

We changed to the Dolphins around 1970 at about the same time as dolphins arrived at Brighton Aquarium. I am sure that when i started going in the mid 60's we were the shrimps, but i can't find any record of it (I was very young and am now very old consequently may be talking complete ****)

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Not officially announced yet, but I will leak it because I'm a snitch and...well, because I can. :cool:

Former Albion Defender and current youth team coach Adam Hinshelwood is joining the management setup at Worthing FC. Not certain if he's joining as Manager or as a coach yet? When I know, I will let it slip if anyone is interested......

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Fact of the day - Billy Idol (William Broad) was educated at Worthing High School for boys and Worthing Sixth Form College, before attending Sussex university (see wiki). He was an avid Worthing FC fan and would attend matches on a regular basis at Woodside Road. His love for the club and it's unique atmosphere later manifested itself in his international hit single "Rebel Yell" an ode to his team.

I went to the same school, he was renowned for never getting his homework in on time, hence his moniker.

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
Neil Carter must of been involved as he likes to think he's a big man. Probably punched an air hostess as he hates women.

And I've never known such a homophobic complete and utter cent in my entire life.

Neil Carter you are one homophobic cock and one day you'll be before the courts.

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
You might have something there, that could be why Horsham are called the Hornets, I think Storrington were called the Swans, begs the question how Deportivo Wanka in Peru got their name?

They are based in the city of Huancayo in the Peruvian Andes. It was founded in 1996 and is named after the Wankas people who formerly inhabited the area and after whom the city of Huancayo is named.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
and why were the Albion called the Dolphins?

Dolphins? When was the last time you saw a dolphin off the beach? ???

They were called the shrimps. Then the Board wanted a better nickname and they came up with the dolphins because of the Dolphinarium that had recently opened but as soon as they started selling dolphins insignia the fans came up with the seagulls and here we are.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
They are based in the city of Huancayo in the Peruvian Andes. It was founded in 1996 and is named after the Wankas people who formerly inhabited the area and after whom the city of Huancayo is named.

So you are saying that the wankas f***ed off then ?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So you are saying that the wankas f***ed off then ?

If you Pronounce the name of the city with a Spanish accent, Huancayo, you'll hear the development of the original name.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you Pronounce the name of the city with a Spanish accent, Huancayo, you'll hear the development of the original name.

You have absolutely no chance of becoming a comedy writer, you have ruined the whole gag.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Love the Rebels - its not often I wish Worthing was further away from Brighton (ok never) but it deffo doesnt help attendances. Although really Lewes is even closer and gets 3 times the crowds so cant just blame that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here