Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worth the admission price alone

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
And how big a part does the unbeaten thing play in this confidence... As I said in a thread the other day I really think it is important and glad it's still there!

Hopefully by now the players realise that they really have nothing to fear in this league. We've had plenty of stern tests, even against the so-called lesser teams, and still we haven't been beaten. We shouldn't be thinking "oh no, we've got Derby or Middlesbrough next". They should be thinking, "bloody hell, we're playing Brighton".

At the beginning of the season we had some games where we looked less than the sum of our parts ... something just wasn't quite firing, despite the good results. Now we're looking like a team that can win, entertain and make a really convincing claim to an automatic promotion place.

el punal

Is this the best Albion team ever? How do we compare to the team of '79?

Different era, different players! I don't think you can really compare. I would say that the Championship is a lot tougher to get results than the old Second Division, and the pressure is greater. Whose the better side? I'll sit on the fence till the end of the season on that one!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
My personal most entertaining match for many years. Solly March is for me, the most exciting player we have had since Peter Ward. Kayal was outstanding. I predicted we'd score three or more, and Wilson should have got me my prediction!

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I was watching the whole game with a big smile on my face. Beautiful, beautiful football. I've been watching since 1973 and I don't remember ever seeing such a glorious display of technical football coupled with extreme team spirit. These boys would run through brick walls for each other. So proud of this team, this club.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

No not yet I,m afraid. Little way to go. We could take most teams apart then so it doesn't need much thought as to where this one is deficient...............but still,early days and let's hope.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Don't forget Stockdale's save of the match. I thought the ball was flying in the bottom corner before Stockdale managed to somehow not only save the shot but actually hold it with 2 players following up for a simple tap in. Sublime.

Absolutely. I think this is now the third match when we read that his super save late on meant that we did not lose points. That save, as with the others, more than make up for his howlers. I am also very impressed with his kicking, as he can find players to turn defence into attack so quickly.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
40 yard cross field ball from Dunk to March inch perfect, wave upon wave of attack both wingers were outstanding yesterday but that's not it the whole team were as one

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Hopefully by now the players realise that they really have nothing to fear in this league. We've had plenty of stern tests, even against the so-called lesser teams, and still we haven't been beaten. We shouldn't be thinking "oh no, we've got Derby or Middlesbrough next". They should be thinking, "bloody hell, we're playing Brighton".

At the beginning of the season we had some games where we looked less than the sum of our parts ... something just wasn't quite firing, despite the good results. Now we're looking like a team that can win, entertain and make a really convincing claim to an automatic promotion place.

Could not agree more. You sense the momentum is rising after yesterday, and the recent transfer news. Often we have heard from other managers or on other clubs' chat-lines that we are the best team that they have seen, so they can't all be wrong! The BC fans I spoke to, said that they were not optimistic before the match, even despite their hitherto impressive away record. There is understandable frustration that we are not scoring enough to reflect our dominance, with the consequent fear expressed that we will eventually slide, but that does not seem to be the reaction from others in the footballing world. Derby and QPR away are doubtless stern tests, but then prior to the last three away games, we thought exactly the same about all three and look what happened.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yesterday, £30 for my ticket felt CHEAP.

All of that football and I got felt up - happy days indeed.

A free roast beef sandwich and I could have died happy.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

http://www.11v11.com/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/tab/matches/season/1979

Steele/Moseley 7 Stockdale 6.5
Cattlin 6.5 Bruno 7.5
Rollings 6.5 Dunk 7
Lawrenson 9.5 Greer 7
Williams 7.5 Bong 6.5
Horton 7.5 Kayal 8
Clark 6 Stephens 8
Ryan 6.5 March/Murphy 7
O'Sullivan 8 LuaLua 7.5
Ward 8 Wilson 7.5
Maybank 5.5 Hemed 6

Players

78.5 v 78.5

Ahead of third place on goal difference. Look like we are on for the autos by the thinnest of margins.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
http://www.11v11.com/teams/brighton-and-hove-albion/tab/matches/season/1979

Steele/Moseley 7 Stockdale 6.5
Cattlin 6.5 Bruno 7.5
Rollings 6.5 Dunk 7
Lawrenson 9.5 Greer 7
Williams 7.5 Bong 6.5
Horton 7.5 Kayal 8
Clark 6 Stephens 8
Ryan 6.5 March/Murphy 7
O'Sullivan 8 LuaLua 7.5
Ward 8 Wilson 7.5
Maybank 5.5 Hemed 6

Players

78.5 v 78.5

Ahead of third place on goal difference. Look like we are on for the autos by the thinnest of margins.

I think putting Ward at 8 and Wilson then at 7.5 undermines the post. This team is very good but has achieved nothing yet. I will judge year end

Dec 15, 2014
Here
Albion's quarterback didn't have many obvious options to pick out a team mate. No problem at all. He played a volley that sent the ball darting at a low trajectory right onto the chest of Bruno (?) on the halfway line and the Albion were on the move again. Pingtastic.

How can the quarterback be behind the fullbacks?

Dec 15, 2014
Here
All of that football and I got felt up - happy days indeed.

A free roast beef sandwich and I could have died happy.

I've been surpressing this but it is obvious. When doing body searches the fact that someone sees the searches going on should keep them from trying to smuggle in explosives or weapons. Not one weapon or explosive needs to be found but everyone must be searched. It really works much more than anyone thinks. It's when it gets commonplace that the weapons get through.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I totally by accident punched someone in the face when they asked me to lift my arms on the search, I did apologise but giggled like a girl!

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Solly March is for me, the most exciting player we have had since Peter Ward.
Admittedly I don't go to as many matches as most but I can't remember seeing any other Brighton player dominate a match as much as Solly did yesterday. He was simply fantastic.

Bruno seems to get better with age stunning today as was the whole team .
This also - me saying March had a better game than Bruno yesterday is in no way meant to be detrimental to Bruno. They were both that good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here