Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst standard of football at this level ever

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

agree...gone back with a huge bump I am afraid the season is a write off in 1st week of november !!!
Can't agree that the season is a write off just yet. I think mid table was where we would end up during the summer and I still think that is a possibility. That doesn't mean that I think things are going well, clearly something needs to change, but I think we are pretty close to most of the teams. Don't feel we have been outplayed by anyone, and the points difference shows shows just how close things are. I think we are sacrificing quality for results and I understand that at the moment given the lack of confidence around the place. Middlesbrough have been the best team I have seen this season, although I thought Wigan played the best football and look at the difference in their positions. Results will improve the confidence and the footy will improve with confidence. Plenty can still change. Whether it will or not is the great debate!

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
No this isn't another Sami out thread just a post to clarify that the championship is now IMO a very poor standard, that was a shocking spectacle once again today, we're so poor and boring to watch but have just taken 4 points from Wigan & Blackburn who've looked just as poor as us, never felt so bored watching football as on Tuesday night and today
Please don't bring up Gillingham or WITHDEAN This was worse than having my teeth pulled out today

Have you thought about a new hobby?

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
The standard is no worse and no better. With Premier League millions at stake caution seems to be the standard in this division.

Totally agree. Very few teams in this division play with flair - Derby currently being an exception. The lure of riches for players and board alike is too much of a burden I think.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
With so many teams playing one up top and mid fields dominant it is hard to see us having much joy with Baldock as the lone striker. CMS before him didn't tear up any trees fighting the same battle.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
I rather enjoyed the game today. Two well matched sides. It could have gone either way. Some of that Wigan side won the FA cup eighteen months ago. Others played in the world cup in the summer. Blackburn could afford to leave £7m worth of striker on the bench. Hardly a bad side.

Agree - for some perspective, my daughter (who comes to about three games a season, but watches quite a bit of MotD highlights stuff) thought it was a good game yesterday. She is actually a pretty good judge, and doesn't see things through blue & white tinted spectacles. She picked out Joe Bennett and Rohan Ince in particular. There are some ridiculous comments on here about how tedious the game was and how awful we were. Neither is true.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Agree - for some perspective, my daughter (who comes to about three games a season, but watches quite a bit of MotD highlights stuff) thought it was a good game yesterday. She is actually a pretty good judge, and doesn't see things through blue & white tinted spectacles. She picked out Joe Bennett and Rohan Ince in particular. There are some ridiculous comments on here about how tedious the game was and how awful we were. Neither is true.

Ince? Thought he was the only poor player in the first half.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
No still here just get ****ed off with NSC atmos police slagging other fans off for having a laugh and creating an Atmos at a game of football while the rest of the ground is like a library

I don't think anyone is "slagging you off" for having a good time, were just fed up with you banging on about the atmosphere all the time as its the be all and end all of going to a game.
To you it maybe be but for a lot of other people it isn't that important and the constant whinging about it is tedious and an annoyance.
As with the Sami out/in thread there only need to be so many.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
No this isn't another Sami out thread just a post to clarify that the championship is now IMO a very poor standard, that was a shocking spectacle once again today, we're so poor and boring to watch but have just taken 4 points from Wigan & Blackburn who've looked just as poor as us, never felt so bored watching football as on Tuesday night and today
Please don't bring up Gillingham or WITHDEAN This was worse than having my teeth pulled out today

You weren't at the Goldstone in the late 1980s when we were in Division Two (ie the equivalent of the Championship) then?

Watch old videos of 2nd tier football back then and you'll realise football has moved on hugely since those times, however poor you might feel we are currently.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Yeah don't really know much about football only been watching it and playing it since 1975
But in my opinion modern day football is overrated, prem football, champions league,world cups etc etc, maybe you're right lame-o maybe I do need to find a different hobby as I personally think modern football is shite ......and so is the atmos at football today ....... Oops better not mention atmos apparently I keep banging on about it, actually I don't and have never started a thread relating to it but I always find myself defending the people who get slated on here for enjoying themselves, if people didn't keep starting those threads keep slagging of the group under the police box then I wouldn't even be talking absolute it

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Yeah don't really know much about football only been watching it and playing it since 1975
But in my opinion modern day football is overrated, prem football, champions league,world cups etc etc, maybe you're right lame-o maybe I do need to find a different hobby as I personally think modern football is shite ......and so is the atmos at football today ....... Oops better not mention atmos apparently I keep banging on about it, actually I don't and have never started a thread relating to it but I always find myself defending the people who get slated on here for enjoying themselves, if people didn't keep starting those threads keep slagging of the group under the police box then I wouldn't even be talking absolute it

Mr 'T' I know how much you love footie coz I saw you going :mad: on the tellybox.
I stood in the North on Tuesday for a change and picked up on the two different sections singing different songs.
I'm surprised how they continue to sing anything considering how we are playing at the mo :moo:

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Mr 'T' I know how much you love footie coz I saw you going :mad: on the tellybox.
I stood in the North on Tuesday for a change and picked up on the two different sections singing different songs.
I'm surprised how they continue to sing anything considering how we are playing at the mo :moo:

Love the game SIMMO don't know anything else other than football, but becoming disillusioned by it lately and the way the game is heading

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
The 'standard' (fitness and quality of players) is very good - but it doesn't necessarily make for entertaining football.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Completely agree, the standard of player now in the second tier, is shocking compared to the last generation. Skill seems to be a thing of the past. Players today are super fit compared to 10-20 years ago, but their skill levels have gone through the floor. Look at yesterday. KLL atempted volley, JFC shot, Gardners attemptand its not just our mob either. Short passing, long passing is piss poor. It goes to prove how poor the standard is, when players like Bridcutt who stood out for us, struggle to get a game in the premiership. Managers are no better. In the past after a run of 10 games without a win, the manager would have change things wholesale to try and kick start the season. They don't seem to be capable anymore of picking a style of suit their players. Its more of " I know this way, I will play this way". They don't seem to have the ability to change anything.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Completely agree, the standard of player now in the second tier, is shocking compared to the last generation. Skill seems to be a thing of the past. Players today are super fit compared to 10-20 years ago, but their skill levels have gone through the floor. Look at yesterday. KLL atempted volley, JFC shot, Gardners attemptand its not just our mob either. Short passing, long passing is piss poor. It goes to prove how poor the standard is, when players like Bridcutt who stood out for us, struggle to get a game in the premiership. Managers are no better. In the past after a run of 10 games without a win, the manager would have change things wholesale to try and kick start the season. They don't seem to be capable anymore of picking a style of suit their players. Its more of " I know this way, I will play this way". They don't seem to have the ability to change anything.

Everyone in the media says the Championship is the hardest league to get out of.
To me, most of the player's are bang average as are the teams they play for.
If we had a twenty five goal a season player we would be in the top six--------------unfortunately we haven't:moo:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I think we've been spoiled a bit in recent times.

Let's face, pre Poyet we were pretty ordinary and the year we won League 1 the football we played was exceptional. This was followed on in the next 2 years at the Amex as well.

We have definitely gone backwards but not to where we were 5 years ago.

Remember Dickinson, Hoyte, Smith? I really think we are still better than that. Just not at the Poyet level

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here