Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pub in Brighton and Hove.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Ahh the snipe. Me and my mates got chased by a load of blokes with pool cues and table legs. We were only 15 and walking past! Turned out that one of the blokes chasing us was my mates Dad!

the 3 pubs nearest my house are:
The Stanmer
The Hollingbury
The Jolly Brewer

I don't drink near my house very much.

The Hollingbury is alright. Or rather, it was. Not been there for a while.

D

Deleted User X18H

I'm amazed only one person fleetingly mentioned The Seafield on New Church Road, walked in once and like a scene out of a Western, everybody stopped drinking stared at me and my mate which led to us walking straight back out. I thought I was the only one so I asked other people and similar stories were passed down.

Surprised The Alibi has been suggested on here, decent little boozer on a sunny day and has Stowford Press, 'nuff said.

I'm not sure if the Blind Busker counts as a pub but it has to be the most overrated place in Hove, I can't believe there aren't more 'sporty' places that serve decent grub and beer in Hove, especially along the main drag into Brighton.

CHURCH ROAD it's on CHURCH ROAD. Bloody JCL's

Own Goals Galore

Sep 28, 2011
I'm not a fan of the Park View. In fact I've barred myself from there. Wait forever to get served by a bunch of pretentious "cool" Eco friendly unsmiling Uni students. Bring back the carpet.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I'm not a fan of the Park View. In fact I've barred myself from there. Wait forever to get served by a bunch of pretentious "cool" Eco friendly unsmiling Uni students. Bring back the carpet.

I used to LOVE the PV? It's totally shithouse now.

hola gus

Aug 8, 2010
Think I might have to give this fishbowl place a try!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
I also lived on Seafield Road for a short while. We avoided this place like the plague. A couple of years later having moved out to Portslade I was on a bus in to town when a couple of likely looking old geezers got on. From their conversation one was going to spend all Sunday afternoon in the Seafield. "It's like a home for retired criminals" he boasted. "What do you mean retired?" replied his mate.

A certain ex 1st team coach likes to pop in there.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Riki Tiks in Bond Street. I HATE that bar. It's just scuzzy, it's dirty, it's full of wallies. Give me the William IV opposite over that pub any day of the week - even if the William IV is playing Chris De Burgh and the only people in there are wearing his and hers matching jackets. Pitcher and Piano comes a close second. Horatios on the pier is another very odd pub.

Pubs near me that I can't stand - The Franklin. Before we moved to Falmer it was always full of Chelsea and Man U geezers. Never been to a match in their lives either. A few Albion tops in there now but still a very moody boozer. Taxi drivers don't like picking up from there either.

Anyone who says the Wellington, Bat and Ball, Branch, Mitre, Martha Gunn - those pubs are what they are and they know their clientele and fair enough I say, too many of these types of boozers are being lost. I'd never go in the Bat and Ball but I walk past it every day and everyone always looks like they're having a good time in there. It's the pretentious ones with sh*tty door staff, horrible music and lads with attitude that I'd happily see knocked down.

Saying that...Belushis downstairs is a freak show. My God that's a freak show. Is it still going?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
By the way, dunno if it's been mentioned but the London Unity has confirmed it will be converted into flats. Can't say I'm surprised. It was never the same after they got rid of the jukebox.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Ah, The Bulldog - a truly terrifying experience for the average heterosexual!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003

Had an incident in there a while back where the pints of Becks Veir tasted of tomato soup.

When we took them back, the manager told us there was nothing wrong with his beer, he had checked it all this morning and we must be making it up. Again we told him that it did not taste as it should and maybe he had a bad batch. He actually got quite irate at this point and we pointed out as customers we had the right to flag up the problem and ask for another beer. So he poured us pints of Carling as a substitute, which we said we did not want, we would prefer Peroni. He argued fairly loudly that Becks was not a premium beer but Peroni was, so he saw Carling as the equivalent. We refused the Carling again and said we would pay the difference between the Becks and Peroni. At this point he said he was now wasting 4 pints, the tomato soup Becks and the unwanted Carling. Our point being not our problem and that the customer was always right.

The lovely chap then point out the customer has an opinion but is rarely right!!!

Eventually he pours the Peroni, offer him the difference, which oddly he refused.

Strange experience, but the pub has always been a bit weird.

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Had an incident in there a while back where the pints of Becks Veir tasted of tomato soup.

When we took them back, the manager told us there was nothing wrong with his beer, he had checked it all this morning and we must be making it up. Again we told him that it did not taste as it should and maybe he had a bad batch. He actually got quite irate at this point and we pointed out as customers we had the right to flag up the problem and ask for another beer. So he poured us pints of Carling as a substitute, which we said we did not want, we would prefer Peroni. He argued fairly loudly that Becks was not a premium beer but Peroni was, so he saw Carling as the equivalent. We refused the Carling again and said we would pay the difference between the Becks and Peroni. At this point he said he was now wasting 4 pints, the tomato soup Becks and the unwanted Carling. Our point being not our problem and that the customer was always right.

The lovely chap then point out the customer has an opinion but is rarely right!!!

Eventually he pours the Peroni, offer him the difference, which oddly he refused.

Strange experience, but the pub has always been a bit weird.

It's full of (and staffed by) people that think they are all hipsters and 'cool'

I once went into the Railway Bell (now the West Hill?) and as we walked through the door about 10 coppers came down the stairs behind the bar after raiding the place looking for drugs. As soon as they left the barman pulled a bag of coke out of his pocket, said "phew, that was close" and started racking it up behind the bar!!!

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Riki Tiks in Bond Street. I HATE that bar. It's just scuzzy, it's dirty, it's full of wallies. Give me the William IV opposite over that pub any day of the week - even if the William IV is playing Chris De Burgh and the only people in there are wearing his and hers matching jackets. Pitcher and Piano comes a close second. Horatios on the pier is another very odd pub.

Pubs near me that I can't stand - The Franklin. Before we moved to Falmer it was always full of Chelsea and Man U geezers. Never been to a match in their lives either. A few Albion tops in there now but still a very moody boozer. Taxi drivers don't like picking up from there either.

Anyone who says the Wellington, Bat and Ball, Branch, Mitre, Martha Gunn - those pubs are what they are and they know their clientele and fair enough I say, too many of these types of boozers are being lost. I'd never go in the Bat and Ball but I walk past it every day and everyone always looks like they're having a good time in there. It's the pretentious ones with sh*tty door staff, horrible music and lads with attitude that I'd happily see knocked down.

Saying that...Belushis downstairs is a freak show. My God that's a freak show. Is it still going?

We once got thrown out of the William IV after going to the Komedia after one member of our group was accused of being threatening to another and was too drunk. (he put his arm around him to console him being upset. The drunk bit is probably true though)

If I remember correctly, the landlady was summoned out of bed and came down in her nighty to make sure we left too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here