Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Worst moment of the season?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
When they announced RDZ was leaving, not that it was the incorrect decision. just that the it was an end to the best time I have ever had supporting the Albion (so far)

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The realisation that Palace would finish about us, when they played down here in February they looked like they could give either Luton or Burnley a lifeline, just goes to show how important our next managerial appointment is, probably the most important in the clubs history, Glasner has transformed them from relegation fodder to Top 10.

I was also pretty pissed off when we got found out, correction the Manager got found out, in Rome.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Luton (A).
Felt like we playing in League 1 under Martin Hinshelwood. Dreadful performance. RDZ and the players rocked up thinking it would be a walk in the park.
The one good thing about Luton away was that it may have given the players the kick up the arse needed 4 days before Palace, which was probably the last decent performance of the season.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Fulham away. Luton was just laughably awful that it almost became fun. Fulham was a return to the never ending side to side football of the worst parts of the Potter era whilst being schooled in the art of direct football. Bmuff wasn't much better but the hope had already gone by then.

pigmanovich

Good Old Sausage by the Sea
Mar 16, 2024
London
Of the games I actually attended, Villa away. No reason we had to lose by five there at that point in our season or become the only team other than Sheffield Utd to lose to Villa by that margin this season. Would have made more sense as a scoreline at Fulham given our form at the time plus the fact that they had already pulled off 5-0 wins over West Ham and Forest.

That said, the Villa fans were nowhere as unpleasant as Chelsea's (or Man Utd's).

Off the pitch, the wait for the train back to Brighton after the home game against AEK Athens 🌧️

In terms of our injuries, losing Solly and Mitoma (the second time) hurt but in hindsight Pedro missing most of February and all of March was actually the last straw. He didn't recover his form, which probably cost us a fair few points in the run-in.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The moment Mitoma was ruled out for the season

That was the moment it was clear the game was up. Before that, our injury crisis was clearing (it seemed), we'd just stuffed Sheff Utd, we were still fighting for 3 prizes. I genuinely believed we had a shot at all of them.

That news knocking the stuffing out of me and I guess the club. A couple of weeks later, there was bad news on Pedro and Enciso, we got dumped out of the cups and our league form never recovered.

He is our attacking talisman. We've missed his goals and assists. We've missed the space he provides others. We've missed his unpredictability.

That was the moment I knew that on the 22nd of May, I wouldn't be in Dublin or planning a trip to Wembley this weekend

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
The Roma away performance was a massive kick in the bollocks. A naive display riddled with individual errors and a huge tactical failing. The third goal being clearly offside and inexplicably allowed to stand made it even worse.

It didn't really get any better from that point unfortunately. Not sure if it was that game that ruined our season or if it was just a part of the slide.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I didn't go to Rome, Villa, Fulham or Luton, so the worst moment for me was Solly's injury - you could tell it was a bad one almost immediately. Not only that, we were getting back into the game when he was injured and taking the game to City, it was a devastating blow.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I am basing this on games I actually attended but

Fulham away 3-0 as could see how inert (one for the old hands on here) we were and would be

Rome away - may favourite city in the world but failure to dig in at 2 nil (yes appreciate dodgy offside etc) showed a mental weakness I thought we had got over from hyppia/Potter moments

I don't include villa 6-1 because looking at it from a ref perspective there were 4 of the 6 goals that could have been chalked off 2 of which definitely (foul on solly, offside from danilo other 2 were coming from an offside position for another and foul in build up for another) it was a freak outcome but one that I am sure damaged us later.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Luton away 0-4 not only did I have to suffer watching the game, it surfaced memories of the 5-0 defeat at Luton back in September 82.

Thankfully no need to visit Luton next season.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Solly’s injury, losing to Wolves in the Cup and de Zerbi’s ‘thoughts’ after the Bournemouth game.
Those come immediately to mind, but I’m sure I could think of others.
Anyway, it wasn’t all doom and gloom!

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
We've had the Best Moment thread already, so in contrast what was, for you, the worst moment of our season?

Roma away is probably going to feature a lot, but we've seen several lows along the way (arguably all the way up to the weekend) so what were yours?
Villa Away.... by a country mile..... I was in the upper tier, so the crapness was increased by the no alcohol availability.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Marseille bus tour on way back. I was too tired for that.

Rome - the match. Everything else was great.

Luton away

Villa away

In fact - a lot of the away games!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Roma away was actually ok.

Granted, getting stuffed 4-0 and, to all intents and purposes, exiting the Europa League wasn't brilliant but the trip as a whole was great fun.

After the game, when I just wanted to head back to the hotel and sleep off the defeat, we decided to grab just the one beer. But then sitting outside a Rome trattoria, eating pizza and drinking beer with various folk I've shared numerous Albion away days with, was a lovely thing to experience. And that one beer became two, became three etc...

Luton away wasn't great, but it was so bad it was almost funny. I found Fulham away a more depressing watch, to be honest.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here