Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Swansea in the 80’s. Me and a couple of mates decided to spend a few days down there either side of an evening game. Game was a boring 0-0. One of my mates got a slap outside the ground and I saved myself from a good hiding by putting on a ridiculous Welsh accident. Also, very lucky I was quick on my feet. Pissed it down most of the time and Bonnie Tyler’s night club was crap.

A mate of my older brother had a mid 80’s holiday in SW Wales, with his girlfriend at the time. It rained a lot and was generally sh1t, but mainly he hated the locals. Setting in store a lifelong hatred of the Welsh people, he still hates them now.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Dubai

Had the misfortune of making the overnight pitstop onto to SE Asia. Just so friggin dull...
Dubai is one of the worst places I’ve ever been.

The place is just not my thing.

Went with an ex.

Probably the most boring woman I’ve ever met.

She slept until 2pm every day. Waking up at the hottest part of the day to go and sit in a hammock and smoke roll ups til dinner time.

Barely said a word to me the whole time.

It was like taking a house plant on holiday .
Boring company in a very boring place. Nice weather in winter, that's about it

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Swansea in the 80’s. Me and a couple of mates decided to spend a few days down there either side of an evening game. Game was a boring 0-0. One of my mates got a slap outside the ground and I saved myself from a good hiding by putting on a ridiculous Welsh accident. Also, very lucky I was quick on my feet. Pissed it down most of the time and Bonnie Tyler’s night club was crap.
Had a crap Welsh holiday as well. Hotel in Saundersfoot. Pissed down all week, and the hotel was 90% full with a happy clappy, non-drinking religious group who sang songs in the bar every night. Owner said we could take drinks to our room which he normally never allowed :lolol:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Dubai

Had the misfortune of making the overnight pitstop onto to SE Asia. Just so friggin dull...

Boring company in a very boring place. Nice weather in winter, that's about it
Been there loads of times with work. Full of boorish drunken expats in all the bars (plus Arabs taking it a bit of time off from their religious beliefs drinking and talking to nice young Russian ladies), identikit shopping malls full of stuff you don’t want, restaurants competing to see who can be the most expensive/gimmicky and some of the world’s worst drivers. Unbearable heat in summer, few pavements so can’t really walk anywhere and there’s not actually a lot to do. Enormous tax free salaries keep the Finance industry people there 🙄

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Back in the 80s I went to Crete. The resort, hotel, food and company was good. What was less good was crashing a motorbike into a local fisherman on a moped, getting arrested for careless driving and finding out that, due to Greek law at the time, I had to be held in custody until I had to go to court. The accident was Saturday evening, court Monday morning, so two nights in a cell every bit as bad as you could imagine (filthy mattress on the floor, stunk of piss).
When I got to court I was advised by the duty solicitor to “say you’re sorry but you were a bit drunk” (I wasn’t drunk, but I was sorry).
The sentence was “10 days in jail <f…ing long pause> or 8000 drachma fine (about £40 iirc)".

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Likewise - thought Tunisia was pretty awful.

I've been to 27 different Greek Islands and Kos is the worst I've been too (closely followed by Santorini and Mykonos - avoid where cruise ships stop!)
I had a very nice time in Kos. Took the missus and first born who was about 9 months old. I did though have an entirely different holiday to everyone else there.
We were in a small row of self catering apartments attached to a big somewhat tired hotel, that was probably one of the biggest until they started building all inclusive behemoths.
Every day we woke up early (baby) made ourselves coffee, walked to beach for a swim and play with baby then pop in somewhere for breakfast.
Then we'd head back to hotel never getting back later than 11am just as everyone in the hotel left for the beach.
Then we'd put baby down, have a siesta ourselves, read a book, sit in the nice shade straight outside our room.
As the heat went out the day we'd head out again, passing the beetroot hotel guests on their way in. Cycle off with baby in trailer to somewhere further away for a dip then onwards to a restaurant for early dinner. Again return to hotel as many guests but leave for evening. Sit outside, nice cooling breeze, it's lovely and quiet, drink ouzo, fast asleep before anyone returns.
Only met one couple (who may have previously been to Goa) the entire time when the occupants of the next door apartment had finally burnt themselves so badly they stayed in their last day.
So quietest holiday I ever had was in a big hotel by a beach. I didn't get much of a tan but saw so much sunburn my retinas probably have melanoma.

Papak

Not an NSC licker...
Jul 11, 2003
Horsham
Back in the 80s I went to Crewe. The resort, hotel, food and company was good. What was less good was crashing a motorbike into a local fisherman on a moped, getting arrested for careless driving and finding out that, due to Greek law at the time, I had to be held in custody until I had to go to court. The accident was Saturday evening, court Monday morning, so two nights in a cell every bit as bad as you could imagine (filthy mattress on the floor, stunk of piss).
When I got to court I was advised by the duty solicitor to “say you’re sorry but you were a bit drunk” (I wasn’t drunk, but I was sorry).
The sentence was “10 days in jail <f…ing long pause> or 8000 drachma fine (about £40 iirc)".
FYP

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Back in the 80s I went to Crete. The resort, hotel, food and company was good. What was less good was crashing a motorbike into a local fisherman on a moped, getting arrested for careless driving and finding out that, due to Greek law at the time, I had to be held in custody until I had to go to court. The accident was Saturday evening, court Monday morning, so two nights in a cell every bit as bad as you could imagine (filthy mattress on the floor, stunk of piss).

I went to Kavos, Corfu in the mid 90’s with a mate. There was a fkn boring curfew (I’m a night owl) where all outside bars had to turn music off at midnight, whilst bars/clubs closed at 3am rather than 6am.

As a punishment to the industry and young British visitors …. because a Brit on a moped had killed an elderly Greek lady a few weeks previous.

Last edited:

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Maybe it’s you? I’ve been to several different areas of France and found them friendly and helpful, apart from Paris, but then London is similar.
We go every year, have made good friends over there, and feel very welcome. It helps to speak a little of the language, and use good manners when entering shops etc.

My worst holiday was camping in Cheddar Gorge, with two children, our dog, when it rained every day. After five days we gave up and went home, having to dry everything off in the house before it could be packed away.
Outside Paris the French can be very pleasant, especially if you try to speak a bit of French. Even the French hate Parisians.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here