Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst goal drought since 1970

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
We dont get the ball wide enough and insist on trying to walk it through the middle of opposition defences and on the odd occasions we do get it wide and get a cross in, theres only 1 or 2 in the box for it, marked by 4/5 defenders.

This - and.....

Not enough shots when we clearly could 'have a go'; too many crosses and corners swallowed up by defenders; free-kicks wasted; not having any form of
counter-attacking ability whatsoever, just slow the game up again; too much 'intricate' play in the wrong area; losing the ball in vital places; too much passing back to
goalie; giving the ball away cheaply........I could go on, but it is too painful. 45 years I've been playing and watching this f***** game.

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
Kayal and Stephens have gone off the boil, Kayal wants 20 touches whenever he has the ball and Stephens always goes sideways. I'm not sure what's changed for them to lose their spark but maybe as there isn't anybody to push them out of the team they're too comfortable.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The 6-0 away at Oldham didn't help.

At that time they did have a plastic pitch and finished champions. It might have been the game that some away fans got taken to hospital with hypothermia. One visit to Boundary Park was enough; the day that Bobby Zamora got sent off in a 2-0 defeat. I didn't know what coldness was until that experience but at least they'd put a roof on the away end.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I was around in that run in 1970, not that I remember the details too much.

Freddie Goodwin had been lured away by Birmingham City and free scoring Albion lost his whole management team.. The new boss was Pat Saward on his 1st job. We ditched the blue shirts/white sleeves and joined the one colour bland kit club (OK, the all white with blue trim did look rather smart but was not 'Brighton')

Saward fell out with Alex Dawson, preferring Alan Gilliver, one of those lanky forwards that somehow have spells of scoring jammy goals. Kit Napier was played more as a wide player and we just didn't have anyone who looked like scoring. And we also had Alan Duffy who didn't fit into saward's plans and had trouble fitting into his own kit!

We had some dour 0-0, against Torquay (before the run even started) and against Port Vale, one of the worse games ever. They parked the bus and whacked the ball anywhere. A young Brian Horton was in their team.

Eventually we broke the duck with an unlikely 2-0 win v Wrexham, I believe they were both long range efforts and may have been filmed.

Saward eventually got the team together. Inspired loans like Bert Murray & Willie Irvine saw us move into mid table. The next season the stripes were back and we won promotion with one of the most exciting teams ever with 5 players scoring in double figures.

I r

The drought started on 13th Sept and ended on 21st October across 7 games, if we fail to score at Blackburn the record will be equalled. Albion finished 14th in 70/71 season

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Bert Murray wasn't a loan. He was bought for 5000 quid raised from the fans.

I thought he was an initial loan but then bought via the 'Buy a player fund and I remember doing a sponsored walk. Happy to be corrected.

DavePage

Due for a flood, if only. We always seem to be conservative when it comes to a thrashing. Ummm that didn’t sound right.

Which reminds me of a recent quote “ Leave Gary Glitter alone, all he wants to do is settle down and have kids” What?

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
The drought started on 13th Sept and ended on 21st October across 7 games, if we fail to score at Blackburn the record will be equalled. Albion finished 14th in 70/71 season

Six games, I thought,

The following season, Albion went up in second place behind the Villa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here