Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Albion match day?

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
travelled overnight by coach to newcastle in 1991. Started snowing around newick in nottinghamshire and by the time we arrived in newcastle there was four or five inches lying deep, crisp and very even. Got there about 9am (a 13 hour journey) and the games was officially called off around 10.30.

Ended up watching Berwick Rangers play Arbroath (I think)

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
I would go for the obvious 5-0 at Palace, but will rule it out as my worst purely because I was fortunate enough to be allowed out of the ground with about 15 minutes left. It's the only time I've ever left a football match before the final whistle, but given how long they kept the Albion fans in that day, it really wasn't the worst judgement call in the world.

Instead I'll go for a miserable 3-1 defeat at Leyton Orient in our first season at Gillingham. We had our poorest ever side at the time - most of the players that helped us stay in the Football League in that epic last season at The Goldstone had moved on, and despite the effort and workrate of this team, they just weren't very good. This was also with the previous season's 4-4 at The Goldstone fresh in the memory. The ref had an absolute shocker and completely changed the game by sending Paul Linger off for a second bookable winning of the ball offence.

To cap it all off, in trying to get back to Brighton station afterwards, myself and my fellow 16 year-old mates got off at Hove and hopped on a train on the next platform about to go. The next stop on that train we caught was East Croydon :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
No-one has mentioned the Pompey game in 1984 when we were 1-0 up at half time and lost 5-1. They locked us in at the end while it pissed down with rain and the wanker on the PA passed the time by listing all the Portsmouth goalscorers.

It's one of the reasons I hate the twats.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Fantastic stories, it is so wrong but I chuckled over catfish story about going to Grimsby getting stuffed 5-0 and getting a kicking after. Horrible stuff but the epitomy of a shit day.
Oh and I forgot about being present at selhurst when we lost 5-0 and got thumped by a lovely met police officer because I had the temerity to leave early.

I can have a chuckle about it now but at the time I couldn't see the funny side!!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That I saw, defo the Walsall game. Lost against 9 men, EVERYTIME, Matt Richards strolled down the left with the ball, put in a crap cross, Clayton Ince would lie on it for 5minutes, hoof it back and start again

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I was there that night, bit scary....I remember after the game when we were kept in a while some of their fans decided to light a pretty big fire on the terraces!! lovely people!

Yep on the stand to the away fans left..... They actually burnt coppers hats. Saw the whole thing, old bill shoulder to shoulder round the perimeter, they did a surge and grabbed a couple of coppers hats, before setting fire to them.

I saw this thread on their forums recently, you have to read this!!

http://www.hof.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28134

shocked and suprised or not at all..... I so look forward to them tearing up the Amex.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
No-one has mentioned the Pompey game in 1984 when we were 1-0 up at half time and lost 5-1. They locked us in at the end while it pissed down with rain and the wanker on the PA passed the time by listing all the Portsmouth goalscorers.

AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, Willy Young

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Yep on the stand to the away fans left..... They actually burnt coppers hats. Saw the whole thing, old bill shoulder to shoulder round the perimeter, they did a surge and grabbed a couple of coppers hats, before setting fire to them.

I saw this thread on their forums recently, you have to read this!!

http://www.hof.org.uk/showthread.php?t=28134

shocked and suprised or not at all..... I so look forward to them tearing up the Amex.

I was there that night at the old den, one of the most intimidating grounds I've ever been to. When they scored the first goal they were like a pack of wild dogs. And what with the racist abuse of mike Small and burning of coppers helmets, absolutely vile.
And as for that message board, sweet Jesus, words fail me.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Home to Darlington in 1997/98. Lost 4-0 (or 4-1).
Was living in Nottingham and was a real mission to get to The Priestfield for the most inept and inert performance I can recall.

Gabbidonkey got a hat-trick.

I was mascot that day, the whole family had come up to see me then aged 4 run out for the teams, unsurprisingly at full-time they didn't want to meet the team in the bar..

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

This.

Slough Seagull

Bye Bye Slough
Nov 23, 2006
0-5 at Palace, 1-5 at Plymouth, 0-4 Middlesbrough in 1992 are three that come to mind...

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Different Walsall game; under Slade, 3-0 down after half an hour, on a freezing cold evening in a stadium with absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. Brighton were silent, Walsall were silent, and to ruin it all I was taking an Indonesian friend of mine to his first ever football game in England. Miserable and will need a lot to top it.

Second to that was taking my daughter to her first ever game, at MK Dons, same season. She was happy as larry before the game, but then her balloon popped in her face just before the teams came out and the tannoy went off, everyone was singing and she freaked out and wanted to go home. I tried to console her for 10 minutes but she wasn't having it, so we left and drove home. Apparently we were shit though.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Different Walsall game; under Slade, 3-0 down after half an hour, on a freezing cold evening in a stadium with absolutely no atmosphere whatsoever. Brighton were silent, Walsall were silent, and to ruin it all I was taking an Indonesian friend of mine to his first ever football game in England. Miserable and will need a lot to top it.

Second to that was taking my daughter to her first ever game, at MK Dons, same season. She was happy as larry before the game, but then her balloon popped in her face just before the teams came out and the tannoy went off, everyone was singing and she freaked out and wanted to go home. I tried to console her for 10 minutes but she wasn't having it, so we left and drove home. Apparently we were shit though.

Yours are my award winners so far for shit match days. Having kids myself I cringed at your second story.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Scunthorpe away in 1997. Horrible place, long way to go, shit ground, crap performance and we looked certainties for the drop after a 1-0 defeat.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Lets face it,there have been a fair few in the last 20 odd years but Sudbury was just f***ing desperate.Walking through what seemed like a cow field to get to the ground to witness the most inept performance i have ever seen.
Also bad days at Kingstonian,Palace 5-0,and too many fruitless 4 hour drive homes to mention.Amazed i am still here to witness the revolution but that's what following the Albion does to you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here