Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] World's tope ten BASS guitarists of all time

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Lots of bass players, and drummers, go about there business quite discretely, and superbly, quite often you'd only notice if they were removed, Reggae and soul are two genres where this is highly applicable.

Great bands/labels have great rhythm sections.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Lots of bass players, and drummers, go about there business quite discretely, and superbly, quite often you'd only notice if they were removed, Reggae and soul are two genres where this is highly applicable.

Great bands/labels have great rhythm sections.

No idea who he is but one of the great bass lines is the start of Papa Was A Rolling Stone by the Temptations

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Honourable mention to the drummer on Diana Ross's ''Im coming out''
Love the drumming at the beginning of that track.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ridiculously young band when they broke, 15, 17 and two were 18. Just WOW

Andy Fraser had been in John Mayalls band prior at the age of 15! Paul Kossoff was in a band called black cat bones, who did a few good tracks, and an album called barwire sandwich!

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Phil Lesh (am I really the first person to mention him?)
Bernard Edwards
Stanley Clarke
Aston 'Family Man' Barrett (and him?)
Simon Gallup
Robbie Shakespeare

But I don't play the instrument in question. My son does (and graduated from the Royal Northern College of Music on it) and he would say Jaco Pastorius, all day long.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
They only did two albums, '67/68 a live album was released in 1991, which is superb. Originals on vinyl are scarce here, and do have some value, but not mortgage money unfortunately.
There was also a cheap one issued, on Phillips International Series records - called 'This is H.P. Lovecraft - Sailing on the White Ship' (all the releases were 'This is .....somebody') - as far as I can see it's mostly the first album, with a different cover. It's about to get its first play in probably 30 years ............................................

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
There was also a cheap one issued, on Phillips International Series records - called 'This is H.P. Lovecraft - Sailing on the White Ship' (all the releases were 'This is .....somebody') - as far as I can see it's mostly the first album, with a different cover. It's about to get its first play in probably 30 years ............................................

There's another one called spin spin spin, I got it as the original second album is scarce and my copy Is tired. The reissues are 1973 ish? very good quality vinyl and cheap, so very good value, paid £8 for mine. It's mint.

IMG_0245.JPG

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've just trawled through this thread and am staggered that only four have mentioned Paul McCartney who walks it, in my view.

That said, honourable mentions go to Bootsy Collins, Bernard Edwards, Robbie Shakespeare, Jon Entwistle and Peter Hook.

This thread has reminded me of that brilliant mini-series on BBC4 on bass, drums and guitar in which Tina Weymouth presented bass. (She's great but I wouldn't want to claim she's one of the best bass players ever. Talking Heads were something else though.)

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Phil Lesh (am I really the first person to mention him?)
Bernard Edwards
Stanley Clarke
Aston 'Family Man' Barrett (and him?)
Simon Gallup
Robbie Shakespeare

But I don't play the instrument in question. My son does (and graduated from the Royal Northern College of Music on it) and he would say Jaco Pastorius, all day long.

I was just wondering if anybody had mentioned Stanley Clarke yet and...…. here he is.

My Nephew has graduated this summer from The Guildhall School of Music and Drama on jazz bass and he would say that the daddy of them all is...….Jaco Pastorius.
Having a long-term appreciation of Weather Report and their music, I'll go along with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here