Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] World's tope ten BASS guitarists of all time

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There was also a cheap one issued, on Phillips International Series records - called 'This is H.P. Lovecraft - Sailing on the White Ship' (all the releases were 'This is .....somebody') - as far as I can see it's mostly the first album, with a different cover. It's about to get its first play in probably 30 years ............................................
Oh gawd! - that was so excruciatingly bad! And as for being nominated for top bass playing - sorry, nowhere anywhere near, just ordinary bass lines the likes of which many of us will have done at some time (best part of 40 years ago in my case! - but I was only a part time occasional bass player anyway).
Oh well, that's definitely one for the second hand market ASAP!

taz

Feb 18, 2015
Donald "duck" Dunn,, of brooker T & the MG'S,, the bass of almost every record release on stax records,, James jamieson Funk brothers,, the bass of almost every record release for tamla motown detroit studios https://youtu.be/gjgjoSsOvi4

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jean-Jacques Burnel (The Stranglers - still going strong)
Pete Hook ((Joy Division/New Order)
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath)
Geddy Lee (Rush)
Jah Wobble (ex-PIL, now with his own band)
Lemmy (Hawkwind, Motorhead)
Martin 'Youth' Glover (Killing Joke - also still going strong)

Peter Hook just a natural with a bass.

Our own Mike Kerr from Royal Blood I also think is worth a mention. I've seen him a couple of times and what he gets out of a bass guitar is quite incredible - I'm always blown away by his playing - is that just a bass guitar, really? :mad:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Read through each page of this with increasing disbelief.

Not a single mention for Carlos Dengler, lead bassist for Interpol. The greatest of the last 20 years. Took what Peter Hook did and elevated it to a much higher level.

Sake. State of NSC, honestly.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Peter Hook just a natural with a bass.

Our own Mike Kerr from Royal Blood I also think is worth a mention. I've seen him a couple of times and what he gets out of a bass guitar is quite incredible - I'm always blown away by his playing - is that just a bass guitar, really? :mad:

He does get a lot out of a bass, split signal and dual effects/amplification . . . . . their gear was in the studio we recorded in recently . . . lots and lots of gear!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Not a single mention for Carlos Dengler, lead bassist for Interpol. The greatest of the last 20 years. Took what Peter Hook did and elevated it to a much higher level.

Former!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
PLayers like DUck Dunn go laregly un noticed outside the fat fingered world as they're part of a band . . . often isolated bass lines sound unremarkable. Some sit right back like Dunn and Jamerson, some at the front and almost orchestrating, like Norman Wat Roy or Bernard Edwards. Then Others effectively play it as a lead instrument, sometime within a band ( Entwhislte is the prime example) or just total fret wankery.

add band leading, singing and songwiriting to the bow and you just have great musicians .. . . McCartney, Lynott etc

One things for sure, take a good bass line out of a song and it loses its soul. . . . .

impossible to compare them against each other really, like trying to mark Gordon Banks vs Harry Kane!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Never heard of them, what is their oeuvre?

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I've never seen or heard a better bass player in my life than Victor Wooten.

(Never heard of him till about a fortnight ago but my goodness he was superb at Ronnie Scott's, and he has an awful lot of Grammys.)

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
Surprised no one has mentioned Tim Commerford of Rage Against the Machine and Audioslave. Great basslines that anchored their music and also allowed Tom Morello to show off his incredble guitar playing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here