Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Worlds top ten guitarists of all time

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
He’s one very bitter and weird person these days though. Some of the interviews he’s given recently are odd.

I didn't actually know who he was until last month.
I was working in a house in Saltdean and the homeowner told me about their " rock star " neighbour.
" Some bloke that used to be in The Scorpions " :smile:
I had heard of the band but I did have to Google him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Add in Peter Green and that about nails it I reckon. Oh and it is Rory Gallagher.

Thanks a bunch incidentally, this thread means I will be on YouTube the rest of the day watching/listening to the above mentioned rather than getting any work done.... :clap:

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Hope you had a good day.

One other came to mind, Jeff Beck, specifically the Blow by Blow album (I am not a fan of his wider ouvre). But I stated my nine and am sticking with them.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I didn't actually know who he was until last month.
I was working in a house in Saltdean and the homeowner told me about their " rock star " neighbour.
" Some bloke that used to be in The Scorpions " :smile:
I had heard of the band but I did have to Google him.

To be fair, in rock circles he’s certainly a name and an influence. He joined his brother in the Scorpions for a short while, then left to join UFO where he co-wrote some classic songs. His solo band had its moments but these days he seems to do little else than claim he was the true and sole driving force behind Scorpions and UFO’s success and how he helped these bands become huge and how they stole his image and trademark guitar. Possibly with UFO, I doubt it with Scorpions. Either way he goes on and on about it and how everyone else is wrong and/or a liar.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Very good point - there's no point in being technically brilliant if you don't produce an end product which interests and excites the listener. There are loads of guitarists out there who can whack out lightning solos, hundreds of notes per minute, but all of the 'heard one, heard 'em all' variety.
Moving on from this, after a bit of thought, my favourites are these (based on criteria such as lyricism, melody, excitement and originality, rather than speed, technique or the ability to play convoluted chord sequences that require a ten inch hand span that nobody else can play [hint; pretty much nobody else wants to play them!])

Richard Thompson*;
Mark Knopfler;
Jimi Hendrix*;
Pete Townshend*;
Jennifer Batten*;
Rory Gallagher*;
Michael Chapman*;
Robert Johnson;
.....and, just about, Eric Clapton*.

OK, that's only 9, but can't think of any others I regards as highly. Asterisks mark those I've actually seen live.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Johnny Marr and John Squire for me.

All about opinions though isn't it?

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

No it isn't.

:whistle: :lolol: :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Moving on from this, after a bit of thought, my favourites are these (based on criteria such as lyricism, melody, excitement and originality, rather than speed, technique or the ability to play convoluted chord sequences that require a ten inch hand span that nobody else can play [hint; pretty much nobody else wants to play them!])

Richard Thompson*;
Mark Knopfler;
Jimi Hendrix*;
Pete Townshend*;
Jennifer Batten*;
Rory Gallagher*;
Michael Chapman*;
Robert Johnson;
.....and, just about, Eric Clapton*.

OK, that's only 9, but can't think of any others I regards as highly. Asterisks mark those I've actually seen live.

Love Michael Chapman :thumbsup:

You only ned nine since Hendrix is taken as a given.

You saw Hendrix? ???

My ex wife was at Altamont :facepalm:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Very good point - there's no point in being technically brilliant if you don't produce an end product which interests and excites the listener. There are loads of guitarists out there who can whack out lightning solos, hundreds of notes per minute, but all of the 'heard one, heard 'em all' variety.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Love Michael Chapman :thumbsup:

You only ned nine since Hendrix is taken as a given.

You saw Hendrix? ???

My ex wife was at Altamont :facepalm:
Saw Chapman in a little folk club before he made his first record, just him and his acoustic guitar, about ten feet away. He played most of Rainmaker - fabulous!

Saw Hendrix at the IoW Festival, a few weeks before he died - to be honest, he wasn't that great on that particular occasion!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Saw Chapman in a little folk club before he made his first record, just him and his acoustic guitar, about ten feet away. He played most of Rainmaker - fabulous!

Saw Hendrix at the IoW Festival, a few weeks before he died - to be honest, he wasn't that great on that particular occasion!

That was his last gig wasn't it? I have seen the movie of it.....I agree, a bit mmmmmeh....he was about to set up in a five or 6 piece band doing more varied music, so I seem to recall....

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
That was his last gig wasn't it? I have seen the movie of it.....I agree, a bit mmmmmeh....he was about to set up in a five or 6 piece band doing more varied music, so I seem to recall....

His last big gig, certainly. Yes, I think he was planning some sort of larger band, although the switch from the Experience to Band of Gypsies hadn't gone well - he did have mitch Mitchell back on drums for the IoW gig though.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Yay I did call this on post 70 folks :clap::clap:

Indeed you did.

Man I love a maverick guitarist, with his own scalloped fret-board - especially on a strat gifted to him by Clapton, with a tone to die for.

Fireball is an awesome album.

Blackmore (then) was a God.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Another one here for Carlos.
Also because he has class females in his videos.

No scantily calds in this one but WHAT A TUNE!

Not forgetting this little babe fest.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here