Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

***World's Hardest Creature VIII NOMINATIONS***

Oct 25, 2003
Great White Shark seconded. These crazy ****ers scare the absolute shit out of Aussie, American and South African surfers, if only we had them on the south coast to put the wind up some of our surf snobs. They are in charge of the sea and not even humanity can tame them because whenever we try and put them in an aquarium they commit suicide like on Jaws3 so we can't find out their secrets and motivations. These mysterious killers are the hardest creatures since the Megalodons went extinct. I love them and want to get eaten by one. #teamshark

they're not in charge of the sea- they get eaten as a wee snack by orcas for a start

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
No, it's the same criteria as always and we're still going for pound for pound. The criteria I set out are what goes into being hard. It's not just one facet that decides hardness. There are a number of things that should be considered including those set out in my o.p and indeed, your mentality point above.

I think if you rely purely on what you've argued above, you'd actually be arguing for humans. We fight for fun, for money for anything. We invent weapons so we can fight anyone, anywhere, anytime. We fight with our fists, with rocks, with anything to hand, with knives, with guns, with bombs. We invent things to create more death and destruction. We have fights that cover the entire globe and last for years.

Humans aren't hard, they fight over politics. Politics isn't hard. You don't see the Timber Wolf and the Grizzly Bear sitting down across a table discussing the annexation of territory belonging to the Tiger, before sending out lesser minions to carry out their will whilst they sit in comfort miles from the battle.

Humans have evolved beyond the animalistic definition of hardness nowadays IMHO, behind each scrap is an ulterior motive. Such modern weapons are too efficient to be hard, they are clinical and cold. The drone is not as hard as the spear. Rarely do you hear of scrap to the death purely because of a crossing of paths. And rarely do you ever hear of the human seeking out creatures harder than itself to test its mettle without the aid of an object to tilt the odds significantly in its favour.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Then you could say the same about the Honey Badger's thick skin. Clever. Not hard.

I wouldn't, it has thicker skin than a mouse but it is still feeling the pain, and going back for more.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The Tardigrade is tiny, and basically indestructible. Pound for pound that makes it officially well hard as a minimum. Frankly it would smirk at a nuclear bomb, and just carry on doing what it does.

Which seems to be, 'just sitting there, looking like a cushion'.

Amazing creature, the little pillow-thing, but its lack of aggression is going to see it found wanting.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Which seems to be, 'just sitting there, looking like a cushion'.

Amazing creature, the little pillow-thing, but its lack of aggression is going to see it found wanting.

You're probably right.......but if I was that hard I wouldn't bother being aggressive as I would KNOW I could give it yer if you wanted some.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Humans aren't hard, they fight over politics. Politics isn't hard. You don't see the Timber Wolf and the Grizzly Bear sitting down across a table discussing the annexation of territory belonging to the Tiger, before sending out lesser minions to carry out their will whilst they sit in comfort miles from the battle.

Humans have evolved beyond the animalistic definition of hardness nowadays IMHO, behind each scrap is an ulterior motive. Such modern weapons are too efficient to be hard, they are clinical and cold. The drone is not as hard as the spear. Rarely do you hear of scrap to the death purely because of a crossing of paths. And rarely do you ever hear of the human seeking out creatures harder than itself to test its mettle without the aid of an object to tilt the odds significantly in its favour.

No, you're right. Humans aren't hard. That's why I've never nominated, seconded or voted for them. I was merely pointing out that if mentality was the be all and end all of hardness they'd be in with a very good shout.

As for the bolded bit, no you're right. Rarely do you hear of that. Nonetheless, you do hear time and time again of humans seeking out the challenge of hunting and killing much larger, more dangerous animals for sport, for fun, for the thrill of the chase. No other animals, not, as I suspect your alluding to, the honeybadger or the cassowary, do that. The Hippo gets the closest to it...

Anyway, this is just the nominations thread!

Laughing Gravy

I'm a ****
Jan 8, 2010
In my bungalow
I am going for the Bombardier Beetle.
Watch this video from around 1.10 and imagine if this thing was bigger. Amazing insect. :thumbsup:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Has a bull shark ever closed a beach or had a film made about its hardness? NO. Has a Honey Badger, Cassowary, Ant or PILLOW ever scared off an entire beach full of ruff tuff Aussie outdoors types, some of who might have used or even made GUNS n stuff? NO.

#TeamShark

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Surely being immune to poison itself makes it HARD? As outlined by [MENTION=286]Garry Nelson's Left Foot[/MENTION] in the OP, the rules state that HARDness means having a range of qualities such as "Attitude, strength, hardiness/ability to withstand a battering, adaptability, arsenal of weapons". I'd say that the Grasshopper Mouse's immunity to poison is a mixture of hardiness/ability to withstand a battering, and adaptability.

In any case, it's one of the arguments used by many Honey Badger supporters to show how hard it is that it eats snakes - it is immune to their venom.

I don't count that immunity as a reason why the Honey Badger is hard. What's hard about something that you have no control over? Then mouse doesn't CHOOSE to be immune. It is a CHOICE to go into a fight where you are massively outnumbered and outgunned. Hardness is a CHOICE. The rules have changed since [MENTION=1349]turienzo's lovechild[/MENTION] ran this competition.

Yet more FIFA-esque dabblings. Very, very murky and needs to be exposed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Could be the Cassowary's year. I won't lie, I'm a big fan. Just look at it's face.

Cape Buffalo.
3426-Cape%u00252BBuffalo%2BClosed%2BUp.jpg

Mean as hell.

Oct 25, 2003
Has a bull shark ever closed a beach or had a film made about its hardness? NO. Has a Honey Badger, Cassowary, Ant or PILLOW ever scared off an entire beach full of ruff tuff Aussie outdoors types, some of who might have used or even made GUNS n stuff? NO.

#TeamShark

the series of shark attacks that inspired the film jaws were actually carried out by a bull shark. they're much more volatile and unpredictable than a great white. they also swim up rivers.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Can we please not have something boring and NOT hard like the sharks, whales or crocs winning this year? It's very tedious and entirely misses the point of the competition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Can we please not have something boring and NOT hard like the sharks, whales or crocs winning this year? It's very tedious and entirely misses the point of the competition.

I'll tell you what's not hard. A Mantis Shrimp. That's what.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here