Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] World War II Codenames Pub Quiz Questions

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
or Market Garden,unless it was considered too easy

Operation Jubilee (my Grandfather took part in this)

There have been two Jubilees, the Dieppe Raid and a UK/US Special Forces operation in Afghanistan in 2012, both would be correct but dual answers are a quizmasters nightmare.

And yes as A Bridge Too Far has been on the Telly twice in the last few weeks I didn't consider it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
No. 8 - Operation Gland Slam was Goldfinger's plan to steal all the gold from Fort Knox nothing to do with WW2, get your facts straight OP.

You tinker you. There's always one at every Pub Quiz. :lolol:

Please note it is NOT Operation Grand Slam, it is just Grand Slam so think again!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
OK For Maximum Excitement I have decided to make Midnight the deadline for submitting your full and final lists of answers and I will give the lowdown on who, what, where and why.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Just a reminder that I will need a full list of the Questions 1-12 plus your answers by midnight to give me something to do tomorrow morning rather than writing up Ventilation Test Reports... Think we have had about 7 or 8 different people on the thread, would be nice if you all submitted your list.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Was Operation Z the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbour?

If You want to submit me a list of Answers and you think that is a correct one please do so before midnight!

As a note to avoid plagiarism best to submit your Answers as PM's to me (that goes for everyone please).

Last edited:

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Answers!

Sorry for the delay everyone

1. Dynamo Dunkirk Evacuation 1940
2. Sealion German Invasion of UK Plan 1940 Didn't happen
3. Barbarossa German Invasion of the USSR 1941 Did happen!
4. Operation Z Japanese Attack on Pearl Harbor 1941
5. Torch Anglo American Seaborne Invasion of North Africa 1942
6. Chastise 617 Squadron attack Ruhr Dams using Bouncing Bombs 1943 NB lots of people got this and question 8 confused -
Chastise was the name of the Mission, not the bomb
7. Uranus Soviet counterattack and encirclement of Stalingrad 1942-43
8. (3 Parter) Upkeep, Tallboy and Grand Slam (bonus point for link between these) Upkeep was the bouncing bomb, Tallboy went supersonic and Grand Slam was 10 tons in weight and the most powerful bomb used in WWII (until 12 came along) 1943-44 - connection all designed by SIr Barnes Wallis
9. (3 Parter) Gee, Oboe and H2S (no bonus point) All Navigation aids used by RAF 1942-43
10. Window Worlds first air deployed radar countermeasure also known as chaff - strips of tinfoil! - 1943
11. (3 Parter) Overlord, Pluto and Mulberry (no bonus point) D-Day Landings, Pipe Line Under the Oceantaking fuel from England to France and the Artificial harbour towed to Arromanches -1944
12. Fat Man and Little Boy Atomic Bombs, Little Boy was Hiroshima, Fat Man was Nagasaki -1945

Got to nip out shortly when I get back will give scores on the doors. Winners are Tied by the way! Will have to ask them a Tiebreaker from 1945...

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Thanks Jakarta. Enjoyed the quiz.

Thank You. I enjoyed setting it, will have to go out again shortly as I didn't get all I needed AM and more importantly Billingshurst Tip is open for dumping green waste and gardening is practically all I have done over the past week!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Seven People eventually submitted more than one answer.

12 Questions and 1 Bonus Point so 13 Points on the 13th of May.

Joint First:

Bulldog and Seaside Sage : 9 Points If both are willing I will run a 1945 Tie Break Question

Joint Third:

Drew, Happy Pig and Barhams Tash : 4 points Sorry no Tie Break!

Joint Sixth

Rossy G and Rippleman: 2 points - Now joint holders of the Room for Improvement Award...

Could Bully and the Sage let me know if you want a Tiebreaker?

By the way if and when you swing by the Frankland Arms in Washington on a future Quiz night 10 of these Questions are going to be used as a Round so you will be laughing...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here