Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] World Test XI

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I often discuss (all right bore) Mrs Jakarta about cricket stats pointing out so much Test Cricket is now played that while Broad and Anderson, for example, are clearly great players, they have had so many more games to accumulate their wickets compared to Larwood or Trueman.

So how about an all time England XI?

BTW I am keeping my cards to my chest for a while, except don't expect a certain Yorkshire wife-beater to be in my Team...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I often discuss (all right bore) Mrs Jakarta about cricket stats pointing out so much Test Cricket is now played that while Broad and Anderson, for example, are clearly great players, they have had so many more games to accumulate their wickets compared to Larwood or Trueman.

It's interesting to compare different eras. Broad, Anderson et al also have to cope with bowling on uncovered wickets, so that's to their disadvantage but also have DRS reviews and better fielding, so that's to their advantage. They also have some weaker sides to bowl against, which is definitely to their advantage.

Anyway, my all-time great team (and as an extra challenge, i'm limiting it one player per county)

Hobbs (Surrey)
Cook (Essex)
Pietersen (Hampshire*)
Compton (Middlesex)
Hammond (Gloucestershire)
Botham (Somerset)
Prior (Sussex)
Larwood (Notts)
Trueman (Yorks)
Underwood (Kent)
Barnes (Warwickshire)

* I know that KP also played for England as a Surrey player but he played most of his matches as a Hampshire one, so I'll cheat a bit

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
It's interesting to compare different eras. Broad, Anderson et al also have to cope with bowling on uncovered wickets, so that's to their disadvantage but also have DRS reviews and better fielding, so that's to their advantage. They also have some weaker sides to bowl against, which is definitely to their advantage.

Anyway, my all-time great team (and as an extra challenge, i'm limiting it one player per county)

Hobbs (Surrey)
Cook (Essex)
Pietersen (Hampshire*)
Compton (Middlesex)
Hammond (Gloucestershire)
Botham (Somerset)
Prior (Sussex)
Larwood (Notts)
Trueman (Yorks)
Underwood (Kent)
Barnes (Warwickshire)

* I know that KP also played for England as a Surrey player but he played most of his matches as a Hampshire one, so I'll cheat a bit

Sorry but Prior doesn't make the cut as Alan Knott was the finest wicketkeeper I ever saw, that excludes Deadly for Kent which probably isn't fair but lets in Maurice Tate for Sussex. Not sure I can stomach Pietersen in any Team of mine BTW...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

BTW I am keeping my cards to my chest for a while, except don't expect a certain Yorkshire wife-beater to be in my Team...

In English conditions I think Anderson stands out in any era, as his ability to move the ball late and at decent pace isn't something which would simply go away in other eras. What is more interesting for this is the new focus on fitness and sports science, whereas Fred Truman finished bowling then went to the pub Anderson finishes and spends time in an ice bath.

An England XI is tough, will also take it away for thought...

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Tendulkar (IND)
Iqbal (BAN)
Kallis (SA)
Smith (AUS)
O’Brien (IRE)
Flower wtk (ZIM)
Akram C (PAK)
Vettori (NZ)
Holding (WI)
Anderson (ENG)
Muralitharan (Sri)

What are the conditions? Hope they’re suited for two front line spinners!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
England team in my time - obvs a few compromises with the one player per county criterion:

Jones A (Glamorgan)
Cook (Essex)
Strauss (Middx) - captain
Gower (Leics/Hants)
Graveney (Goucs/Worcs)
Grieg (Sussex by the sea)
Stokes (Durham)
Woakes (Warwicks)
Knott (Kent)
Swann (Notts/Northants)
Anderson (Lancs)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
England team in my time - obvs a few compromises with the one player per county criterion:

Jones A (Glamorgan)
Cook (Essex)
Strauss (Middx) - captain
Gower (Leics/Hants)
Graveney (Goucs/Worcs)
Grieg (Sussex by the sea)
Stokes (Durham)
Woakes (Warwicks)
Knott (Kent)
Swann (Notts/Northants)
Anderson (Lancs)

Have been generous, you can have any England Cricketer from any era, still thinking of my list but they will be selected from 1920 onwards so WG Grace won't make the cut.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sorry but Prior doesn't make the cut as Alan Knott was the finest wicketkeeper I ever saw, that excludes Deadly for Kent which probably isn't fair but lets in Maurice Tate for Sussex. Not sure I can stomach Pietersen in any Team of mine BTW...

But then you'd have no spinner. I agree that Knott was a good keeper (although Bob Taylor was better - but no batter) but I wanted Underwood. The only real options for spinner are Verity or Rhodes (leaving out Trueman); Laker (leaving out Hobbs - unthinkable) or Swann (leaving out Larwood). I'll stick with my side. I know what you mean about Pietersen - and the mind boggles about a team with Pietersen and Barnes it (and that's before you get to Trueman and Botham) but he was a class batsman.

In English conditions I think Anderson stands out in any era, as his ability to move the ball late and at decent pace isn't something which would simply go away in other eras. .

Yeah, I think it's a different team if you're talking English conditions. I'd probably have Anderson, Tate, Barnes and Botham as my attack - they'd be unplayable on an English greentop.

So here's a side for the first test at an overcast Headlingley

Hobbs
Cook
Pietersen
Compton
Hammond
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Tate
Anderson
Barnes

No spinner - although Pietersen and Compton can fill in - but six decent seamers will see any opposition off

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
But then you'd have no spinner. I agree that Knott was a good keeper (although Bob Taylor was better - but no batter) but I wanted Underwood. The only real options for spinner are Verity or Rhodes (leaving out Trueman); Laker (leaving out Hobbs - unthinkable) or Swann (leaving out Larwood). I'll stick with my side. I know what you mean about Pietersen - and the mind boggles about a team with Pietersen and Barnes it (and that's before you get to Trueman and Botham) but he was a class batsman.

Yeah, I think it's a different team if you're talking English conditions. I'd probably have Anderson, Tate, Barnes and Botham as my attack - they'd be unplayable on an English greentop.

Hobbs
Cook
Pietersen
Compton
Hammond
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Tate
Anderson
Barnes

No spinner - although Pietersen and Compton can fill in - but six decent seamers will see any opposition off

Just pray the sun doesn't make a rare appearance from the 2nd day after you lose the toss and bat!

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Hobbs
Cook
Pietersen
Compton
Hammond
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Tate
Anderson
Barnes

That is a wonderful team but as I said previously as Chief Selector I can't have Pietersen in my side, Gower instead for some FLAIR?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That is a wonderful team but as I said previously as Chief Selector I can't have Pietersen in my side, Gower instead for some FLAIR?

Gower, Compton, Hammond, Stokes and Botham is some middle order - that won't be plodding along at two an over

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Hobbs
Cook
Pietersen
Compton
Hammond
Stokes
Botham
Knott
Tate
Anderson
Barnes

BTW Who are we playing?

Aussies/Rest of World? If so lineup please...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Blimey, I hope it is at Trent Bridge on a Cloudy Day and we win the toss! :ohmy:

:lolol:

Yeah, that's some line-up. First and second in all-time batting averages and the greatest ever batsman for bowler-friendly conditions and that's before you get to the two most doggedly determined (you could say bloody-minded) batsmen I've ever seen. It would be some match

Then the winners would face

Haynes
Greenidge
Richards
Kanhai
Lloyd
Worrell (c)
Sobers
Walcott (w)
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington

Yeah, that's some line-up. First and second in all-time batting averages and the greatest ever batsman for bowler-friendly conditions and that's before you get to the two most doggedly determined (you could say bloody-minded) batsmen I've ever seen. It would be some match

Then the winners would face

Haynes
Greenidge
Richards
Kanhai
Lloyd
Worrell (c)
Sobers
Walcott (w)
Marshall
Holding
Ambrose

We would no doubt show some English GRIT and nurdle our way to a single run victory with 9 wickets down. Probably a Bye from a ridiculously quick delivery from Holding? :clap:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here