Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] World Snooker Tour rocked by match fixing investigations...

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Former Masters champion Yan Bingtao has been suspended from the World Snooker Tour as part of an ongoing investigation into match-fixing.

China's Yan, the world number 16, was due to play on Monday at the English Open in Brentwood, but his suspension has been imposed after allegations of manipulating the outcome of matches for betting purposes.
The 22-year-old's ban will remain in place until the outcome of the investigation.

Yan, who became the youngest Masters champion in 26 years when he beat John Higgins in the 2021 final, has the right to appeal against the decision.

Last week five Chinese players were handed suspensions by snooker's governing body, the WPBSA.

Lu Ning, Li Hang, Zhao Jianbo, Bai Langning and Chang Bingyu were all suspended, while compatriot Liang Wenbo was banned on 27 October pending the results of a misconduct investigation.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Most Snooker tournaments are sponsored by betting companies these days, can't say I'm too surprised. Bet it's been going on for years.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
He's screwed and will be taking a long rest. No doubt will be stunned by the ban but hopefully won't baulk at it too much. Must chalk this up to experience and have some top people on side.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Hopefully this isn't the tip of the iceberg?

Edit: I was out-punned, so had to change my post. A victim of slow play?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Caught red handed was he?

Wonder if he’ll be able to spin it as an honest mistake?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If he's found guilty, but then appeals, hopefully he'll get an extension to his punishment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here