Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Good to see Poland have refused to play Russia in play off game. Now will UEFA kick them out

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Robert Lewandowski has backed Poland's boycott of their World Cup play-off against Russia in March because of the invasion of Ukraine, saying "we can't pretend that nothing is happening".

Polish football association president Cezary Kulesza has said the team "does not intend" to play the game.

"The right decision," tweeted Poland captain Lewandowski.

Bayern Munich striker Lewandowski, 33, who is his country's all-time highest goalscorer, added: "I can't imagine playing a match with the Russian national team in a situation when armed aggression in Ukraine continues. Russian footballers and fans are not responsible for this, but we can't pretend that nothing is happening."

On Thursday, Fifa said it would monitor the situation after Poland, Sweden and the Czech Republic said in a joint statement that play-off matches should not be played in Russia.

"No more words, time to act." tweeted Kulesza on Saturday.

"Due to the escalation of the aggression of the Russian Federation towards Ukraine, the Polish national team does not intend to play the play-off match against Russia.

"This is the only right decision. We are in talks with the Sweden and Czech Republic to present a common position to Fifa."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60536030

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Good to see Poland have refused to play Russia in play off game. Now will UEFA kick them out

Well done Poland. Whilst I know that our players would have done the same, it could cost them a place at the World Cup, very brave.

I also think it’ll be FIFA interfering and kicking Poland out rather than UEFA as they have already removed the Champions League final. FIFA have always been in the pocket of people like Putin (those willing to bribe officials).

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Well done Poland. Whilst I know that our players would have done the same, it could cost them a place at the World Cup, very brave.

I also think it’ll be FIFA interfering and kicking Poland out rather than UEFA as they have already removed the Champions League final. FIFA have always been in the pocket of people like Putin (those willing to bribe officials).

Yes, interesting that Infantino failed to support the West when talking about Russia and declined to return his Ruskie award. People like him make me sick. It will be interesting to follow his position on this and whether this will be his downfall.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
How are Ukraine going to be able to play their playoff? Their country is currently under invasion for fecks sake

Reports some of the domestic players, with Usyk and the Klitschko brothers are bearing arms to fight.

I cannot describe how emotionally overwhelmed I am at their dignity and bravery.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

It's smart by Poland as well as morally right.

Now FIFA has too choose, ban Russia or Russia a bye...... Do that and you could global calls to boycott whole WC, his cash cow

amexer

Aug 8, 2011

Would like to think if FIFA were to kick Poland and not Russia out there would be mass protest in football throughout Europe and hopefully the world

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
It's smart by Poland as well as morally right.

Now FIFA has too choose, ban Russia or Russia a bye...... Do that and you could global calls to boycott whole WC, his cash cow

I thought the WC qualifiers were run by the continental associations, ie UEFA, who decide which teams quaich for the WC. Or
am I wrong and its under the auspices of FIFA?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Fifa has told Russia to complete their upcoming games in neutral territory under the name the Football Union of Russia without their flag and anthem following the invasion of Ukraine.

Several nations have announced that they will refuse to play Russia, including England, as well as Poland, the Czech Republic and Sweden.

Polish football association president Cezary Kulesza said Fifa's decision was "totally unacceptable".

"We are not interested in participating in this game of appearances. Our stance remains intact: Polish National Team will not play with Russia, no matter what the name of the team is."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60548685

Nail on the head from Kulesza. No nomenclatural dishonesty needed here.

FIFA asking Russia to make purely cosmetic changes isn't exactly an appropriate sanction for a military invasion.

It's sadly all too predictable from Infantino who clearly values his Order of Friendship medal from Putin more than he does fair play.

Russia?

The Football Union of Russia?

The Football Team Formerly Known As Russia?

It doesn't matter.

They need to be kicked out of the competition immediately, regardless of what they're called.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Will be interesting to see how this gets solved.

Looking historically there's been a couple of somewhat similar situations:

In 1973 Soviet and Chile were supposed to play a playoff game, with the winner going to the World Cup. Soviet refused to play as the United States had installed a dictator (Pinochet) in Chile and it didnt help that Soviet claimed (to much disbelief in the world) that Chile were using their national stadium as a detention center. FIFA gave Chile a 3-0 win.

Back in the 50s Israel were qualifiying for the World Cup and all of their qualification opponents (Egypt, Sudan, Turkey and Indonesia) refused to play against them, which resulted in Israel winning all the games on walk-over. This would normally mean Israel had qualified for the World Cup but FIFA felt it was a little bit silly so they had Israel play a decisive playoff game against Wales.

On the other hand, South Africa got banned from football due to apartheid (though arguably FIFA would have had no problem with it if it werent for aparteid also being applied at the national team).

They have a history of not really giving a shit about politics and how people feel about it, but I reckon it will be more difficult this time around... If they dont ban Russia, hell might brake lose and teams may actually boycott the World Cup for real. If they ban Russia, several other nations are going to point at "evil" nations of the world and it might be another shitstorm.

Further complicating things.. if Russia gets thrown out from the playoffs, I suspect they will be replaced by the best group-third, which is Norway - with very strained relations to Qatar and not unlikely to boycott it even if they would qualify.

As for Sweden saying "we wont play Russia under any circumstances".. I wouldnt trust us. I can easily see the Swedish FA backing down from that decision.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We're talking Ruski related (Chelsea, Abramovich, World Cup) related details in this and in other threads... at the end of the day - with or without the Russian NT - if there is a World Cup played this year, it means things have at least gone reasonably far from the worst-case scenarios and that would be pretty nice in itself.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As it stands, Russia face Poland at home in their Semi-Final. The winner will host the winner of Sweden and the Czech Republic.

Needless to say there's plenty that will be hoping that Robert Lewandowski has a particularly good game.

Ukraine are away to Scotland in their Semi-Final. The winner of the tie will travel to face either Wales or Austria.

Would be a grand gesture if every Scotland fan wore a half n half scarf on the night

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Either FIFA kicks Russia out or all European countries should boycott the competition.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here