Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup - Day Twelve

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's clearly in - but if it had been along the sideline the lino would be flagging for a throw in before it had even got that far.

My seat is in line with the sideline and it happens once or twice every game.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
From the angles I’ve seen that ball was 100% out and I’d be in meltdown if it was given against the Albion. However as it knocked Germany out of the WC I am ecstatic, of course it was the right decision.
Not "100% out".

The one TV angle showed base of ball in contact with grass over line, but not curvature of ball.

It's close but this looks a lot more in than out.

Screenshot_20221201-220624_Twitter.jpg

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Away from the ball/line stuff, let's hope Sanchez gets to play in the R16 game against Morocco.

Simón was at fault for both goals.

1st - got both hands to the shot, but deflected it into the roof of the net
2nd - if he'd stayed on his feet and not gone to ground at the near post, he might've collected or cleared Mitoma's cut back.

Spain should know by now that if they want to have any chance of success, they've got to play an Albion player.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The other big take away from day 12, was the Spain keeper Simon was bobbins, Gary Neville saying he was pants too on ITV....... could he be dropped and big Bob get the nod? Would Raya get the gloves if Simon is binned off?

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
Yep, no different to the fine lines in cricket “no balls“, lbw etc. having said that, I still prefer the good old days of leaving decisions with the on field officials. Technology is ruining our sport. Those in charge know not what they do.
I disagree, without the technology, we would have seen Japan robbed and the magic of the game be sucked out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not "100% out".

The one TV angle showed base of ball in contact with grass over line, but not curvature of ball.

It's close but this looks a lot more in than out.

View attachment 154276
That angle obviously isn't right over the line because you can see the line to the left of the goal post. If the camera was further to the right, with the goalpost and line inline, then the ball would look in.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Wow that's not out? But then thinking about it I wonder how Hawkeye would represent that. Probably would have the edge of the ball clipping the line. This photo tells me that logically the rule should be if the centre line of the ball goes over the line then its out.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
Boy I wish Spain had gone out with the Germans (and for a couple of minutes that was on when Costa Rica took the lead). I find their style of playing incredibly boring yet people rave about them. Even when they were good and winning cups, I felt the same.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They are, but where they do have a point is the lack of replays / camera views / slowness of replay, plus they seem to be getting refs to check off sides.

It’s a farce
What are you on about? They highlight to the ref player X is in an offside position, fact, was he interfering with play, subjective. That means the on field ref has the final say. What's not to understand, none of offside decisions where the player has touched the ball has gone to the on field ref.

Tut, typical Spurs fan, Kane dives= foul, Very nice dirty f*** Son hacks a player down= misjudged and a slip.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes, I know the rule (all of the ball must be over all of the line and all that) and I've seen the pictures that clearly show that according to that rule the ball was in (OK then, not actually out if you prefer it that way!) - but to me, just looking at it logically - and according to the way it was when I played football back in the day - and for a fair few years after that too!) that would be well out!

Ah well, c'est la vie. The world's gone bat-shit mental - but I guess we all know that anyway!
Problem is I suspect that when you played the lino was a sub and as often shown on here hardly anyone who plays or watch the game bother to understand the laws of the game. I feel sorry for grassroots refs for they are dealing with thicko's

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
What are you on about? They highlight to the ref player X is in an offside position, fact, was he interfering with play, subjective. That means the on field ref has the final say. What's not to understand, none of offside decisions where the player has touched the ball has gone to the on field ref.

Tut, typical Spurs fan, Kane dives= foul, Very nice dirty f*** Son hacks a player down= misjudged and a slip.

The Croatia one earlier was offside and going for the ball, therefore off side and no need for the ref to view it, it’s not subjective, he was just offside and absolutely no need for the ref to view it on the screen.

If a team of 5 can’t see he’s offside, there is no hope

Last edited:

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
So all the big nations have lost at least once apart from Brazil and Portugal because they still have one game left

England are the only big nation to play their 3 group matches and not lose, just sayin

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
So all the big nations have lost at least once apart from Brazil and Portugal because they still have one game left

England are the only big nation to play their 3 group matches and not lose, just sayin
Ah - but we haven't played anyone good yet......

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here