1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Will be a tough game but I have a couple Australian friends so hoping they win and go through for them.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
First up Australia v Denmark where the Aussies only need a draw to go through unless Tunisia beat France. Aussies would knock out both Denmark & Tunisia. Should the Aussies draw then Tunisia need to beat France!
Then this evening where it's all to play for. Two screens for this one. Saudi Arabia need to beat Mexico to go through. After that there are so many permutations that it would take hours to explain. Suffice to say Argentina also need to win as do Poland. Bottom line, Poland win Argentina go home.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Just interested - is anyone watching any two world cup matches at the same time? ie one on the tv the other on laptop/ipad - or moved two TVs into one room? Or are people watching catch-up? Or not wanting to watch all the matches anyway? It find it a little annoying that I have to choose, I’d rather they were scheduled so I can spend 8hrs a day watching football if I’m not working 😂)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
First up Australia v Denmark where the Aussies only need a draw to go through unless Tunisia beat France. Aussies would knock out both Denmark & Tunisia. Should the Aussies draw then Tunisia need to beat France!
Then this evening where it's all to play for. Two screens for this one. Saudi Arabia need to beat Mexico to go through. After that there are so many permutations that it would take hours to explain. Suffice to say Argentina also need to win as do Poland. Bottom line, Poland win Argentina go home.
Not convinced the evening will be anything other than tension free. Mexico won't win by several goals so they will be out because Argentina won't lose to Poland.

A low margin victory from Mexico or a draw are easily the most likely outcomes in that one IMO, meaning that Argentina and Poland will both go through.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I’d rather they were scheduled so I can spend 8hrs a day watching football if I’m not working 😂)
But then you end up with the teams in the second game potentially knowing exactly what result they need - this exact scenario led to the West Germany v Austria fiasco of 1982...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
None of the big nations seem to want to win this tournament, possibly other than France. I wonder if we might see an “unlikely” nation crowned world champions? Maybe an African country?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
None of the big nations seem to want to win this tournament, possibly other than France. I wonder if we might see an “unlikely” nation crowned world champions? Maybe an African country?
The gap between the traditional big names and the other countries has certainly narrowed. If England aren't to win, then it would be great to see a new name on the trophy.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
Just interested - is anyone watching any two world cup matches at the same time? ie one on the tv the other on laptop/ipad - or moved two TVs into one room? Or are people watching catch-up? Or not wanting to watch all the matches anyway? It find it a little annoying that I have to choose, I’d rather they were scheduled so I can spend 8hrs a day watching football if I’m not working 😂)
I've never watched 2 games before, but I've watched one, with the commentary of another on the radio. Bloody confusing.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd argue France, Brazil, England and Holland have all looked good.

Of the "big" nations only Belgium and Argentina have really been under par?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Germany have one point and didn't look like getting that for a long while.
It shows how far they've fallen that I didn't think of them as a "big" nation. Looking at their starting 11 it really isn't a vintage team.

Prior to the tournament we were probably looking at one of Brazil, France or Argentina - with an outside chance of an England, Portugal, Holland etc if the wind is blowing right - I don't see that that's really changed.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It shows how far they've fallen that I didn't think of them as a "big" nation. Looking at their starting 11 it really isn't a vintage team.

Prior to the tournament we were probably looking at one of Brazil, France or Argentina - with an outside chance of an England, Portugal, Holland etc if the wind is blowing right - I don't see that that's really changed.
I can't see beyond France, tbh. Maybe Brazil, but they are closer to your "outside chance" group than France for me, and I'd include Argentina in that group too.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I've never watched 2 games before, but I've watched one, with the commentary of another on the radio. Bloody confusing.
Especially if the one on the radio is South Korea! 😂

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
But then you end up with the teams in the second game potentially knowing exactly what result they need - this exact scenario led to the West Germany v Austria fiasco of 1982...

Yes, I realise that but doesn’t stop me wishing 😁 Brilliantly presented film giving the background to the WC scheduling - thanks for posting it!

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The Tunas are putting up a good show - France not too impressive so far - enjoying this!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here