Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] World Cup 1994... where the hell were you?

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We took the kids to Orlando for two weeks and lived through Holland and Ireland fans descending on the city. There was a great buzz about the place and loads of football related memorabilia around. Didn’t manage to get to a game but remember it as a great holiday.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brilliant Swedish free kick against Romania. Also Sven-Göran Eriksson was not a good expert commentator.

I believe that there were two players at that World Cup that played for us at some point

Can you name them ?

Someone from Ireland and someone from Scotland is my best guess.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I believe that there were two players at that World Cup that played for us at some point

Can you name them ?

Tony Meola the USA goalkeeper, thought the second one was Gerry Armstrong but Northern Ireland didn’t qualify and he would have been retired from International Football by then anyway.

The only other player I could think of was Ştefan Iovan but he had retired from international football too by 1994.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Remember enjoying that tournament without caring about any home nations. God I'd love a tournement this summer !!

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We didn’t qualify because the FA decided to appoint one of the worst England managers of all time. Taylor gave caps to players who were Sunday league standard in terms of international football, Palmer, Fashanu, Wise, David f’ing White FFS because they fitted his horrendous style, players that if they were around now would struggle to get into top half Championship teams, whilst ignoring youngsters like Fowler and Scholes because they didn’t fit his rigid ‘style’. The media’s treatment of Taylor was out of order but he was completely out of his depth.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
We didn’t qualify because the FA decided to appoint one of the worst England managers of all time. Taylor gave caps to players who were Sunday league standard in terms of international football, Palmer, Fashanu, Wise, David f’ing White FFS because they fitted his horrendous style, players that if they were around now would struggle to get into top half Championship teams, whilst ignoring youngsters like Fowler and Scholes because they didn’t fit his rigid ‘style’. The media’s treatment of Taylor was out of order but he was completely out of his depth.

While you are right that Taylor picked a lot of shit players, and he was also treated incredibly poorly by the press there is no-way Fowler or Scholes were anywhere near contention for the England team at this time. They were simply too young to have even been thought about for that level. Scholes didn't even make his Man Utd first team debut until after the 94 World Cup. Fowler did burst onto the scene with Liverpool in the season before USA 94 but he didn't get his first Under 21 cap until November 1993 playing against San Marino the day before England finished their qualifying campaign. Fowler in fact only had 3 caps by the time he was named in the Euro 96 squad. Neither would have been old enough or experienced enough to change anything under Taylor.

Taylor should have been got rid of after the disaster that was Euro 92, but rather like they did with Bobby Robson they stuck with him in the hope he'd turn it around.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Did you have anything of value though? The 1992 looks very meh. Paul Scholes had 0 appearances for his club before WC 1994 and probably less than those 0 during the qualifiers (92-93). Fowler.. sure, he debuted in the 93-94 season so I guess he could have played in the last qualifiers, but at that point you had already ****ed up against Poland & Norway.

Edit: other dude beat me to it!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
1994... the biggest World Cup of all times; an average of over 69 000 spectators per game, a total of 3,6 million attending the games - a record yet to be broken. Played in the only superpower at the time, showing them what football is. One of the warmest summers. The first World Cup of the modern era; the ultra-defensive football of WC 1990 - a tournament only Cameroonians and English care about today - was dead in the water through the removal of the backpass rule and the implemention of the "3 points per win" system.

Obviously the tournament is in Swedish folklore forever. The world might have forgotten it, but we still remember our bronze medal, and scoring the most goals out of any team. I'm guessing very few in here know what a World Cup medal feels like: it feels great. Try it, you'll like it :D.

The tournament had no Pelé, Cruijff or Maradona (well, he was there for one game before testing positive for cocaine), but about 20 teams playing very attacking football and a huge set of "well he may not have been Pelé but..." players at their peak, like these strikers: Roberto Baggio, Romario, Hristo Stoichkov, Dennis Bergkamp, Jürgen Klinsmann, Gabriel Batistuta.

The tournament was won by Brazil, oddly enough one of the most defensive teams of the tournament relying a lot on their defensive midfielders Dunga & Mauro Silva and Romario/Bebeto grabbing any chance up front, after a boring final against another of the very few defensive minded teams - Italy, with Maldini and Baresi in central defense.

You can't spell implementation. I don't think you are a proper Swede.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You can't spell implementation. I don't think you are a proper Swede.

Shit.

In Swedish it goes like this:

att implementera = to implement
implementerandet = the implementation

But in my mad mind it went
implementerandet = the implemention

Thanks for pointing it out! Its possible I've always done that mistake. My brain is bizarre when it comes to storing information about spelling (and to some extent grammar), meaning that any time I get corrected it is permanently useful, so keep it up.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Shit.

In Swedish it goes like this:

att implementera = to implement
implementerandet = the implementation

But in my mad mind it went
implementerandet = the implemention

Thanks for pointing it out! Its possible I've always done that mistake. My brain is bizarre when it comes to storing information about spelling (and to some extent grammar), meaning that any time I get corrected it is permanently useful, so keep it up.

don't worry you're english is better than alot on here just not up to swedish standard's carry on

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
1994... the biggest World Cup of all times; an average of over 69 000 spectators per game, a total of 3,6 million attending the games - a record yet to be broken. Played in the only superpower at the time, showing them what football is. One of the warmest summers. The first World Cup of the modern era; the ultra-defensive football of WC 1990 - a tournament only Cameroonians and English care about today - was dead in the water through the removal of the backpass rule and the implemention of the "3 points per win" system.

Obviously the tournament is in Swedish folklore forever. The world might have forgotten it, but we still remember our bronze medal, and scoring the most goals out of any team. I'm guessing very few in here know what a World Cup medal feels like: it feels great. Try it, you'll like it :D.

The tournament had no Pelé, Cruijff or Maradona (well, he was there for one game before testing positive for cocaine), but about 20 teams playing very attacking football and a huge set of "well he may not have been Pelé but..." players at their peak, like these strikers: Roberto Baggio, Romario, Hristo Stoichkov, Dennis Bergkamp, Jürgen Klinsmann, Gabriel Batistuta.

The tournament was won by Brazil, oddly enough one of the most defensive teams of the tournament relying a lot on their defensive midfielders Dunga & Mauro Silva and Romario/Bebeto grabbing any chance up front, after a boring final against another of the very few defensive minded teams - Italy, with Maldini and Baresi in central defense.

Enough rambling:

1. What happened to you?
2. How do you think you would have fared if you qualified?
3. Did you watch the tournament despite the absence of England? What were your thought and feeling

Maradona was banned for using Ephedrine not cocaine.

Brolin was more interested in cake and a certain Playboy model than playing football.

England didn’t qualify because Koeman was a cheating **** and GT was a clueless ****wit.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Swedish birds are ####### filthy ......in a good way.
Best England away trip EVER.

#bicbiro

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Tony Meola the USA goalkeeper, thought the second one was Gerry Armstrong but Northern Ireland didn’t qualify and he would have been retired from International Football by then anyway.

The only other player I could think of was Ştefan Iovan but he had retired from international football too by 1994.

Correct with Tony Meola the second one being his team mate and fellow goalkeeper Jurgen Sommer

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Correct with Tony Meola the second one being his team mate and fellow goalkeeper Jurgen Sommer

I'd totally forgotten Sommer had ever (very briefly) played for us. Meola seems to stick in the mind as despite his again short time with us as he'd played in Italia 90 just before joining us and a big deal was made of us signing him.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Do I not like this thread.

I thought there were some very decent players, decent games and decent goals at USA 94. If you ranked modern world cup’s, it would be comfortably mid table

Enjoyed watching Hagi, Letchkov, Baggio and Bebeto. I was disappointed Wegerle didn’t perform.

And OP, If Kennet Anderson was 25 years younger, the Albion should definitely be competing for his signature.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here