Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Working in Dubai

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Evening all,

Developments have occurred where I potentially have the opportunity to work for a large estate agent in Dubai. Spoke to the Director this afternoon, and things went extremely well. I'm very excited about it and it could give me the experience (life included) and money more importantly that I have always strived to earn.

Just thought I'd put some feelers out on NSC to see if there are any bods on here that have been out there, know the areas to avoid, what the price to live is out there, how hot it is....just general living. Also, if you could let me know if, at 23 with only family being the tie in england (ie: no kids, no wife, no gf, no mortgage) if you would have a go?

Thanks!

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
My Land Lady lives in Dubai.

She comes to Greece to cool down in the summer. That should give you an idea of how hot it will be.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
I would definaty go for it. Just dont get caught shagging on the beach :thumbsup:

Martinf

SeenTheBlue&WhiteLight
Mar 13, 2008
Lewes
And here's a joke you can tell when you get out there.

The rights to the Flinstones franchise have just been sold to the United Arab Emirates. But there's a big row about it. Dubai doesn't want it but Abu Dhabi do.

:jester:

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
And here's a joke you can tell when you get out there.

The rights to the Flinstones franchise have just been sold to the United Arab Emirates. But there's a big row about it. Dubai doesn't want it but Abu Dhabi do.

:jester:

That's f***ing ACE

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Go for it , if you dont you'll only regret it for the rest of your life.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
No idea what it is like, but given what your personal situation seems to be, then give it a go.

If you like it, you win. If you don't like it, you can always come back and do something else somewhere else, before you acquire all the ties. At least you will have tried. Otherwise you will only have the whatmighthavebeens....

PS avoid thieving, illicit shagging (possibly any shagging just in case), drinking, drugs, car accidents, fights etc etc. I don't think they are very sympathetic if you get caught. Do the research.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Do it, I'd love to do it !

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Whats the worst that would happen?

You dont enjoy it and after a few month you come back home.

There really isnt a much in the 'no' camp is there?

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
You say Estate Agent ???? Have to tell you that the property market has collapsed there,and is in a disastrous state.... there are thousands of empty properties in Dubai, and also miles upon miles of unfinished buildings and hi rise apartments. Many people from UK and Europe have returned home as 'the dream' has died .
I wouldnt want to put the mockers on something that seems impressive, but think very carefully before committing.
One last thing......Abu Dhabi is basically bailing Dubai out ,financially, and if they pull the plug, well who knows what Dubai will become.

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
DO IT.

If you dont, you will look back when your grey and old, and wonder why you didn't. Just be cautious on the housing front. There was a big crash there a few years back.(and still ongoing) Many people lost a small fortune.

EDIT: Beaten to it. It seems like an opportunity not to turn down. Make sure you have a back up back in blighty in case things go tits up.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Evening all,

Developments have occurred where I potentially have the opportunity to work for a large estate agent in Dubai. Spoke to the Director this afternoon, and things went extremely well. I'm very excited about it and it could give me the experience (life included) and money more importantly that I have always strived to earn.

Just thought I'd put some feelers out on NSC to see if there are any bods on here that have been out there, know the areas to avoid, what the price to live is out there, how hot it is....just general living. Also, if you could let me know if, at 23 with only family being the tie in england (ie: no kids, no wife, no gf, no mortgage) if you would have a go?

Thanks!

PM me and I'll be happy to give you the lowdown.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You say Estate Agent ???? Have to tell you that the property market has collapsed there,and is in a disastrous state.... there are thousands of empty properties in Dubai, and also miles upon miles of unfinished buildings and hi rise apartments. Many people from UK and Europe have returned home as 'the dream' has died .
I wouldnt want to put the mockers on something that seems impressive, but think very carefully before committing.
One last thing......Abu Dhabi is basically bailing Dubai out ,financially, and if they pull the plug, well who knows what Dubai will become.

I say do it, it's one hell of a life experience and one I think the majority of people our age would jump at, I certainly would. But don't go before you've done your research, and the quoted post says everything I was about to. All the best, mr Dorian.
(ps.. Give up on Elliott FFS!!!! :rant: It's just boring now.)

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
I can see why a lot of people think this is a great opportunity which to be fair it might look like but.............. Dubai is f***ed as far as real estate goes & there have been thousands upon thousands of people who have lost their jobs in this sector there. I don't wish to be negative but believe me when I say the real estate sector is completely f***ed in Dubai. I work in international real estate & there are few markets worldwide I would say are in a shape that is worth risking such a move for & Dubai is certainly not one of them. I can put you in direct contact with people working there now if you want to PM me. I honestly wish I could paint a better picture for you but if you do your research you will find the market is in complete disarray but having said that there are always exceptions to the rule & if you have done your homework & some due diligence on who you are going to work for then it may well work out. I deal with a few agencies in Dubai & they are not selling much of anything, developers are mothballing huge projects & there is no end in sight to their problems. Sorry.

The heir to the Bracknell title has recently returned from a couple of months working at the Meydan racecourse in Dubai - getting the world's largest TV screen (107.52 meters wide x 10.88 meters high) actually to work.

Meydan_Racecourse.jpg

He hated the place.

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
I can see why a lot of people think this is a great opportunity which to be fair it might look like but.............. Dubai is f***ed as far as real estate goes & there have been thousands upon thousands of people who have lost their jobs in this sector there. I don't wish to be negative but believe me when I say the real estate sector is completely f***ed in Dubai. I work in international real estate & there are few markets worldwide I would say are in a shape that is worth risking such a move for & Dubai is certainly not one of them. I can put you in direct contact with people working there now if you want to PM me. I honestly wish I could paint a better picture for you but if you do your research you will find the market is in complete disarray but having said that there are always exceptions to the rule & if you have done your homework & some due diligence on who you are going to work for then it may well work out. I deal with a few agencies in Dubai & they are not selling much of anything, developers are mothballing huge projects & there is no end in sight to their problems. Sorry.

Thanks for the post, it is exactly what I need, a pros and cons to the move. What I didn't let you know is that I am a lettings agent, and would deal with the leasing of properties....I don't know if this is slightly different?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here