Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Words to Sussex by the Sea going up on the big screens!!!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
....eagerly awaiting the thread tomorrow night pointing out that they weren't the words they themselves would have selected from the variations available.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
If we want people to sing it, this is the only way. There are loads of different versions and there is only one verse and chorus played before a game, so even those that know it wouldn't necessarily be singing the same verse.

If we have to choose I'd want the second verse. Although I would like the F-off to homphobes that would be given by the home fans singing 'Let your hearts be gay' from the first verse, the second ends with 'You can tell them all that we'll stand or fall' which is my favourite bit of the song. Given that everyone is going to sing 'Going up to win the cup' come the chorus, the second verse gives the best of both worlds.

Now can we have the Johnny Cash version of 'Ring of Fire' back?

We've already had a vote on which version of the words people would like... http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...e-words-do-you-want-to-see-on-the-big-screens

The majority wanted the original words without the chorus, whether the club have used this vote I'm unsure. I hope they have seems they listened to the fans to get the words up on the screens in the first place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Good. Now all we need is a marching band on the pitch to play it as well :thumbsup:
With the great expanse of green grass and a line marker to hand, it seems odd not to have the outline of a giant nudee man with his scrumble sausage on display.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
No one will care in a years time. It's about 3yrars overdue so let's get on with it. Unfortunately we have a lot of f ucking idiots at our club who are unable to learn the words without this help or sing it in time. This is the only way we can get it standardised and back to our roots, that's a good thing by the way. What are the moaners going to do - sing glad all over instead? Lots of things have had to be reborn for this club from the badge downwards. About time we got round to our anthem. Move on, there's nothing to see here bar some common sense!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But!!!! You must sing it in a decent tenor voice...none of this suvvern twang in your singing either. It is a magnificent anthem to a brave and honourable regiment, so let's do it proud.

Think that you are Welsh and at the millennium stadium and lose yourself in music....c/o chic.

If anyone wants to sing in 4 part harmony SATB I know the bass, and tenor part. Come and stand by me :)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Words fail me (pun intented), the JCLs are taking over the club, what next a bloody drummer ?
. Misery! Just because you like to sit and gorge yourself on prawn sandwiches in corporate!

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Bloody right Dave and look
Down on the poor people, least I know the bloody words as I learnt them when I was a kid ? Maybe the JCL's should take a test before they get a season ticket and are allowed to ruin our club ? (Tongue nearly firmly in cheek) . Anyway we don't come out until 5 mins into game so it don't matter !!!!

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
This is the only way we can get it standardised and back to our roots, that's a good thing by the way. About time we got round to our anthem. Move on, there's nothing to see here bar some common sense!

Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. & Sussex County Cricket Club
The song has also become attached to Brighton & Hove Albion F.C. and Sussex County Cricket Club. It is the clubs' official song, but with a changed chorus (often sung on its own, without any verses) - or, more recently, just humming the verses. The Seagulls also use GOSBTS to run out to at their new American Express Community Stadium, where a loud, rousing version by the Grenadier Guards is used.

Good old Sussex by the sea,
Good old Sussex by the sea
Oh we're going up
And we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the sea.

So i don't get why are there those who think there is a need to change fropm this to a version that our fans don't sing and never have. To claim it's going back to our roots is just bizarre to me.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No one will care in a years time. It's about 3yrars overdue so let's get on with it. Unfortunately we have a lot of f ucking idiots at our club who are unable to learn the words without this help or sing it in time.

Why thanks. And this sort of preachy bullshit attitude is why I really don't care for the words on the screen stuff. 31 years of going and I've barely ever heard the "correct" version sung home or away. It's always been "der der der der - and we're going up to win the cup etc" which as far as I'm concerned is the anthem that I've always known. Now, if the majority want to try getting the crowd to sing the "correct" words and essentially redefine the anthem that's fine and I'll join in and credit to those who are trying to do something constructive but don't tell me I'm an idiot. There are a lot of atmosphere issues at the Amex but in my humble opinion Sussex by the Sea isn't one of them.

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
to the people on here that message back to what i wrote on here i didnt mean they were playing sussex by sea and i meant we are copying derby because they put words to their song on their big screen

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
to the people on here that message back to what i wrote on here i didnt mean they were playing sussex by sea and i meant we are copying derby because they put words to their song on their big screen

Cardiff put the words to Men of Harlech on their big screen too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here